GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curtousy of Best Car magazine in Japan, here are scans of the latest CG rendition of the new GT-R:

Front: http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/hipogtr/gallery/cat2/R35GTRF.jpg

Back: http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/hipogtr/gallery/cat2/R35GTRB.jpg

Some tidbits from the the write-up accompanying the pics (although most people could already guess this stuff):

(1) This rendition of the GT-R is apparently based on a sneak preview of the current exterior on the prototype as seen by BestCar. Leaked information suggests that Nissan are aiming to have the exterior of the car the first part that is finalized.
(2) As of March 2002, Nissan has begun testing the current prototype of the GT-R at the Suzuka track in Japan.
(3)The engine is going to be a 3.5ltr twin turbo based on the VQ35 block (V6) with power output at 350ps (resulting in a power to weight ratio of 4.28kg/ps). Unfortunately, the writer notes that current testing is showing the VQ35 block to be a weak point of the engine when hp starts to rise above 400ps.
(4) Japan pricing is targetted at Y6,000,000.
(5) The US will likely get the car at a similar price point as Japan, however, if it is to go to Europe it will be priced significantly higher (they say almost double).
(6) The production model will be shown at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2003 with the consumer getting their hands on the car in 2004.
(7) Size statistics are as follows: 4500mm (L); 1850mm (W); 1360mm (H); 2850mm (Wheelbase); and 1500kg (Weight).
(8) Performance statistics as as follows: 350ps/7500rpm; 55.0kgm/5500rpm.

These facts are directly from the article but I would say take them with a grain of salt as even the writer suggests that there appears to be continuous new information being leaked.

Cya O!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Nice one Gio. You beat me to it:D ;)

I can only say that I'll trust Nissan on this. They are not about to release a world-wide GTR thats going to look bad! My only worries are about the engine....I really hope that if the block really is weak they should sort it out! Nissan knows very well that the popularity of the GTR lies in after-market tuning...and lets just hope they keep their loyal coustomers happy! How will Nismo ever make money if the engine can't be touched!! :smokin:

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I like that. Looking very, very nice. Wasn't to sure about some of the previous pictures i've seen, but they started to grow on me the more i saw. The latest snaps have quite a few little changes that have improved it.

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That picture is basically the V35 coupe with wider fender.......which is what I am expecting Nissan to do with the GTR. Very believable I think.

If the aluminum block can't hold much more power then the stock rating, it is just basically another NSX engine, very nice engine but don't dream about smoking any Porsche GT2 with it :rolleyes:

Jeff

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
It looks better than some of the other things I have seen.
The back of the car is a little bit to bare for my likeing.
Also I think it would look better with the GTR Logo on the front and the word Skyline on the back in place of the word Nissan.
My £0.02P worth
-Elliot

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Elliot,

Seems like the GTR will no longer associate with the Skyline name on the 35 GTR from all the rumor I have heard.

Jeff

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Smaller?

Is it me or does it look a lot smaller than the current GT-Rs? The rear windows tend to make it look more like a 2+2 rather than a four seater saloon.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yes, I would have to agree with you there Fuggles.
Maybe the 2-page picture of the back plays a part in it though.
-Elliot

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the size, if you compare the dimensions to the current R34 you'll see that it is in fact shorter but wider with more wheelbase. This looks like a good way to go as its more performance friendly. Anyway, who uses their GT-R as a taxi!

Dino, I waited or you to post but 2 days later and nothing. You're slipping! ;)

Cya O!

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Gio...I know...what am I up to??:( :D

Just one thing....they seem to speak of the front wheels being driven by elctric motors, pretty much like in the upcoming 1.5 March. Not sure about that myself...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If Nissan really put electric motor to drive the front wheel on the next GTR, the GTR is definitely OVER!

That means R34 GTR is going to worth so much money :D

Jeff

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Electric motors

I thought if they went electric on the front wheels it would make the Attessa react much quicker which in turn would make the car handle better ! :confused:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah, but presuming the engine is as tuneable as the RB26DETT (which it may not be :() then the rear wheels are gonna give big trouble laying down 600+ bhp as cleanly as a 4wd 32/33/34 would.

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
That thing looks just like a 350Z to me! :( I liked the concept they had in Tokyo or something like that. What happened to that version? Is it gone forever?

And, I have been out of the loop for a bit... what's up with these electric motors driving the front wheels? Wouldn't that just add too much weight?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
cotmfk...actually the main reason in using the electric motrs is to save weight as there is no more front transfer case, driveshafts and so on....
But I'll believe it when I see it;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
DCD said:
cotmfk...actually the main reason in using the electric motrs is to save weight as there is no more front transfer case, driveshafts and so on....
But I'll believe it when I see it;)
lol... Looks like I got it wrong! Oh well. It sounds very complicated, though. :rolleyes: When is the R35 due to be out in Japan? Any guesstimates yet? I would guess that it's pretty far off since they are only at the picture stage still. I thought the concept they had in Tokyo was pretty cool. What was the concept they ended up having in New York? Just the G35 coupe? Or an actual GTR prototype?

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
As of March 2002, Nissan has begun testing the current prototype of the GT-R at the Suzuka track in Japan.
The production model will be shown at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2003 with the consumer getting their hands on the car in 2004
All of this from hipogtr's FIRST post!:D ;)

BTW...the prototype is being tested around a black BNR34 body...and the car shown at the NY show was the Infinity G35 coupe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts