GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Who fancies a nice trip to French campsite where you can sit down with a warm beer and watch some diesel cars drive round very fast?

Before you click the BACK button perhaps I should explain: The club has put together a package for the 24 hours of Le Mans in 2010 on the weekend 12th and 13th June.

For those who've not been before the Le Mans experience is pretty special. The race itself obviously lasts for 24 hours which, if you've not experienced endurance racing, is pretty staggering. You will eat, drink (more on this later) and sleep all the while with a race going on around you. As you try to tuck up for the night full of beer and Grand Marnier Crepes they just keep going. I had always assumed that they'd slow up a bit over night, little realising that the fastest laps are often set around 4:00 in the morning. If you can drag yourself out of your slumber and wonder over the the circuit near the start of the Mulsanne straight the slight of a prototype car swooping round the outside of a GT2 911 then leaving for dead up the straight, headlights and electro-luminescent number-board shining is stunning.

Likewise the side on view of one of the cars, brake discs glowing a brightly as the lights as they scrub off speed for the Porsche Curves makes me think that me efforts on the local ring road aren't quite as heroic as I thought.

If you're not familiar with the cars then I won't say too much beyond that to main classes of cars run: Prototypes and GTs. Prototypes are what they say of the tin, purpose built racers, whereas the GT cars are road-going GT cars. There's a very good chance that the Nissan GT-RS will be running in this class as we know Nismo are in talks with several teams - Autoblog — We Obsessively Cover The Auto Industry

Of course there's more to Le Mans than just the race. The campsites have probably the largest collection of interesting cars ever brought together.
YouTube - GTR hit

They range from the absurd...

...to the stunningly absurd.

The best bit being that the owner is usually seated a few feet away enjoying a cold beer and will be more than happy for you to tell him how much you like his motorised settee or whatever. The atmosphere in the campsites is all part of the fun with informal competitions to see who can build the biggest beer wall...

...and who has the most extravagant paddling pool.

The race week is very much that with events slowly picking up pace through-out the week. Practise and qualifying leads to the Drivers Parade, also know as Mad Friday.

If you manage to get up to town to watch the parade the ACO usually lays on a load of classic cars mixed in with various supecars in the town square...

...Of course you can just sit in one of the lovely square-side cafes enjoying some 'grande biers' if you don't want to get involved in the hustle and bustle of actually having to stand up...

...Ahem.

Of course as you wonder about you might stumble upon the odd motoring 'celeb'.

Enough of my flannel onto at the club is actually doing. We have a deal with a tour operator to provide a camping pitch in the 'GTROC Enclave' and a pair of entry tickets to EACH OF those interested. The entry tickets can be upgraded to include grandstand tickets. Finally a channel crossing can be added to the package.

Costs are approximately £130 per person for the basic package (minimum two places). Plus approximately £90 per person for the grandstand option

For the journey over the advance party will be travelling out on Tuesday on the Ferry. Your more than welcome to come along estimated costs are £45 for a car and two people. The main party will be following on Thursday via the Chunnel, cost if estimated to be £100 a car and two people.

Expressions of interest at this stage would be helpful so that we can get a handle on numbers.

If you have any questions or would just like to regale us with tails of your Le Mans antics just shout!

The Le Mans Tour 2010 Organiser Team

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
if its your first time go with a bunch who have been before.....

If Nissan races we might get a pit access, I've had Lola access before and its the biz. Its like no other motorsport event you will ever go to. Place are booking fast, last year we could book with ease, this year is selling out already. Very brave to stick a picture of my wifes sunburnt nose in there Cris ;-)

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if its your first time go with a bunch who have been before.....

If Nissan races we might get a pit access, I've had Lola access before and its the biz. Its like no other motorsport event you will ever go to. Place are booking fast, last year we could book with ease, this year is selling out already. Very brave to stick a picture of my wifes sunburnt nose in there Cris ;-)
I thought it was just a healthy glow!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
im so going there next year lol been a few times now and i must say ive always had the time of my life , even down to watching people doing burnouts ,playing with fireworks,( i know of the best firework shop minitues from the camp-sites), having huge scale water fights ,or watching the racing usually tipsey i loved every min of it ...btw cris paddling pools are now banned from campsites ,

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im so going there next year lol been a few times now and i must say ive always had the time of my life , even down to watching people doing burnouts ,playing with fireworks,( i know of the best firework shop minitues from the camp-sites), having huge scale water fights ,or watching the racing usually tipsey i loved every min of it ...btw cris paddling pools are now banned from campsites ,
Banned paddling pools!?! Really. I heard that they'd stopped people from getting hoses constantly hooked up, which to be fair was taking the mickey. Ahh well we'll just have to stick to over freezer then...

Do you think you'll be coming with the GTROC party?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
come to think about it that pic of the wife reaching for the wine is fairly typical of what she normally does....

How long do we have to book?

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
I'll also reiterate that for 2010 the GTROC Media Unit will also be going along so we're going to look dam good this year :thumbsup:

Plus there's no fear of it being picked up by a mini tornado & dumped on peoples pride & joys either :chuckle:

I'm not sure on how strong the Nissan presence will be this coming year either but I'm sure John can answer that "if" he's been given any incite?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I'll also reiterate that for 2010 the GTROC Media Unit will also be going along so we're going to look dam good this year :thumbsup:

Plus there's no fear of it being picked up by a mini tornado & dumped on peoples pride & joys either :chuckle:

I'm not sure on how strong the Nissan presence will be this coming year either but I'm sure John can answer that "if" he's been given any incite?
Does the media unit have a lavvy;)?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
come to think about it that pic of the wife reaching for the wine is fairly typical of what she normally does....

How long do we have to book?
Guaranteed places for people expressing interest by Friday next week. Beyond that we should have some spare but how many depends on uptake levels.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'll be there - tenth year in a row! The place is heaven for petrolheads.

I'll try and make more of an effort to find you guys this year too..If Nissan do race it would be cool - they were very hospitable with their displays last year. I mentioned I had a 33 GTR and they let me in to see the R35 Spec-V. Unlike Aston who chucked me off their DBS podium!

·
Registered
342 Posts
We will be there again. Every petrolhead should do this at least once.

Whilst we have a regular group that I go with I am keen to join gtroc events and happy to help out with organisation as well.
( pm sent to Robbie and Cris )

AM

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Banned paddling pools!?! Really. I heard that they'd stopped people from getting hoses constantly hooked up, which to be fair was taking the mickey. Ahh well we'll just have to stick to over freezer then...

Do you think you'll be coming with the GTROC party?
yes i beleive so mate been speaking to robbies misses about it too:thumbsup:
cant wait always a good time had:clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Best weekend of the year bar none! Can't wait for next years fun.
:D
bob

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thought I'd try to kick start some interest:

1. Robbie J + 1 (called Chrissy J)
2. \
3. -- Cris with the advance party
4. /

Remember guys expressions of interest now will guarantee the availability of tickets!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thought I'd try to kick start some interest:

Remember guys expressions of interest now will guarantee the availability of tickets!
2. \
4. /
5. Gtram (Andy ) + 1 (Sara)
6. /

We have our entrance tickets and stand tickets organised through our group but put us down for any more needed for pit access if Nismo join in the fun.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2. \
4. /
5. Gtram (Andy ) + 1 (Sara)
6. /

We have our entrance tickets and stand tickets organised through our group but put us down for any more needed for pit access if Nismo join in the fun.
If you're not after tickets I'll do a second list for people for those who don't want entry/campsite tickets:

GTROC Campsite
2. Fuggles
3. Cris with the advance party
4. Cris with the advance party
5. Cris with the advance party

GTROC Activities
1. Gtram (Andy ) + 1 (Sara)

Hope that this clears up any confusion.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.