GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has done an entire dash retrim for a R34 and if so, any pictures :D

i'm mainly concerned about the passenger side airbag and how people got around that.

i'm thinking macro-suede/alcantara dash but the airbag thing is concerning but i'm sure there's a way around due to the exotic cars, ferrari/lambo/aston etc

cheers,
daniel

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Have you thought about getting the dash flocked? Looks a little like Alcantra.

This would solve the problem of the airbag

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have looked/thought about it. Haven't seen it in real life, but from the pictures i've seen it just doesn't seem on the money IMO, it's kinda ok but if DIY dash removal/fitting, i don't think the price would be too bad and IMO would look a lot better.

I found some vague reference on a Ferrari forum about they 'score' the backside of the leather so it's already quite fatigued/weakened already. But would rather get some opinions of those that have undertaken this away from OEM settings and experience what trimmers have had to say

i may very well go down the flock route, but would like to exhaust possibilities with alcantara first as i would imagine it's the look i'm going for

·
Registered
571 Posts
That would look the nuts, if it was done. The Lamborghini interior looks so sweet, greatness beyond belief!

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
please let us know if you find a place where you can get this done
I know a guy who can do so. I had a chat to him about re-trimming my R32. He suggested that I'd be looking at around £10k for him to do the full interior.

I can dig his number out if you want :thumbsup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm in Australia guys, not sure my contacts would help too much

i should have changed the thread title to something to do with the airbag. I know the retrim can be done, but given you guys play more with the R34 GTR's etc surely someone has done the dash and had to get around the passenger airbag issue

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i would think if i dropped a car off at a trimmer here, they could do it for $4-$5k AUD and i wouldn't have to do a thing.

with me taking dash/seats/carperts/etc out i think the costs would come down dramatically.

The expense i don't think would be astronomical considering how vastly transformed the interior will be but it's the airbag issue that is probably going to stop or start the whole project

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
:chuckle:
The thing was the guy was serious. Oddly I went elsewhere.

Do still plan to flock the dash at some point in the future.

From the look of that ex-Bazza Sheene car it has Alcantara on the dash. I guess that it was done down under...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ which car is this??

if you look around the dash area where the airbag is for the Lambo, you can tell it has it's own distinct patch of alcantara there. Maybe the airbag cover is a separate piece altogether??

if you tuck it in the recess, perhaps it'll look neat enough??

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Have a look under DaveW's (GTRSHOP) area. He has a beauty of an R33 with a carbon and alcantara interior.

If you know where the split lines are for the airbag to pop out of I'd imagine that you could put an edge there. I'm guessing that you'll have to glue the alcatara down anyway.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks mate, i'll have a look now.

i really have to stop looking at Lambo/Aston pics.... sooo much money, but man it'll look good :D

the other thing, do i spend all this money on a GT-T or sell and get a GTR

decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
wow £10k

thats alot of money

this will be the last thing i do on skylline, tooo much, imagine the engine mods you can do with that

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ exactly - but the allure of "finishing" off a car is pretty strong IMO - it would be nice to get everything you ever wanted sorted one day.

just had a thought, even if i did all of this - i could still transfer a lot of stuff over to a GTR if i went ahead... hmmm...

i think i found the link
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/107606-very-special-33gtr-coming-soon-2.html

headliner looks great, and that would definitely be done as well. Not a fan of the blue and carbon isn't really my thing either it large quantities. The Lambo's and what not get away with it because everything have been conceived with it in mind... i'd prob do a little bit but i was thinking more along the lines of piano black, DBS styles :D

and i don't think there is a passenger side airbag on a R33 dash?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
wow £10k

thats alot of money

this will be the last thing i do on skylline, tooo much, imagine the engine mods you can do with that
Bear in mind that £10k is for 'the best'. The fellow in question had a Ferrari 250 in the garage (amongst others) and picture of an F40 he'd trimmed on the wall. I ended up spending about £1k having my seats and a couple of interior bits done. I plan on getting the dash, door cards etc flocked which should be around £300 (maybe more I've not counted up how many individual parts there are). The only major bits after that is the head-lining, sunvisors and carpet which I'm not bothered with doing. The initial fellow I spoke with said that the R32 dash/doors would be hard to do as they had lots of 3D curves so would take more time/expense.

If you really want it done find one of those old boys who advertise in classic and kitcar mags. As long as you don't want anything too mad I'm sure you'd save some cash over the £10k. Depending on how far you want to go I'd have a look at the Robson bits (I think Matt from Newera put a link to them somewhere). They do some lovely stuff carbon interior bits though they are a little pricey (personally I think you can do better than their leather work too).

I doubt you'll add too much value to your car by doing so. Generally people only seem to pay a 'fair' price for very limited editions in mostly stock conidition, high spec cars are never 'worth' the amount spent on them. As you rightly say you'll be able to transfer most of the bits to an R34 GTR and if that's where you're going then why not? Swap the bits over then flog you GTT when the time comes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts