1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

You’ll need:
- Couple of Phillips head screwdrivers
- 5x 501/194/T10 Mini Light Tower 9 Leds (I went for Xenon White) for the main cluster
- 3x 286 3 x Wide Angle Leds (Xenon White) for the three aux gauges
- About an hour timewise

I’d seen a few people do this and looking at my dash bulbs was beginning to think mine needed doing to:

The Led’s were bought from Ultraleds.co.uk and are shown in comparison to the original dash bulbs… Main cluster on the right, Aux on the left:

This is not a particularly hard job but I like to have a read up on things before doing them, and for the amount of people that have done this I couldn’t find much in the way of a guide to have a look through first, so apologies if this is a bit basic for some but I hope it will prove useful to others…

First up pull out the cigarette lighter and ashtray and undo the two screws behind where the ashtray sits:

The gear knob surround then unclips at the rear of the surround with a quick sharp pull (Pic below shows where you need to ‘pull here’). Then unscrew and remove the gear knob. Unplug the cigarette lighter connectors then the surround simply lifts out over the gearstick:

Undo the 2 screws that hold the main surround in place:

Now you can start pulling the main dash surround out. It’s held in by clips so start down by the ashtray and just ease it towards you and you’ll feel it pop out of the clips as you go.
Once you get up to the steering column stop and unclip the rear screen heater plug, hazard light plug and clock plug from the middle of the dash. Also disconnect the air-con sensor by the steering column (this can be done by pulling the rubber tube away from the sensor or by unscrewing the sensor with an angled Phillips screw driver (what I’ve done)). My fog light switch is also located by the steering column so I had the three spade connectors to unplug also:

Finally when you get over the steering column and remove the complete surround you need to unplug the mirror control plug (sorry, no pic) and the surround will now lift out.

Doing the three Aux gauges first, undo the six screws circled below. The stereo head unit and air-con controller will pull out first as one piece and then the gauge pod will pull out separately:

Once the gauge pod is out, undo the bulb holders turning half a turn anti-clockwise. The bulbs then pull out in the holder. Replace with the 3x small 286 Led’s and screw the holders back into place. Turn the lights on to make sure you’ve got the polarities correct and they work okay:

Put the Aux gauge pod back first, followed by the stereo and air-con unit and then replace the six screws.

Moving onto the main dash cluster, you’ll need to remove the plastic surround. Undo the two screws at the bottom of the surround circled, and the two screws in the top of the surround marked by the arrows just out of the shot. The surround can now be eased out by pulling towards the steering wheel:

Now there are just three further screws to undo circled below. The main dash cluster can now be moved:

You can now pull the main cluster forward and change the bulbs (which I did), or you can unplug the cluster and remove it fully (as per pic below). Undo the five circled bulb holders anti-clockwise half a turn and replace the bulbs with the five 510 Led’s:

You can now put the dash cluster back in place and turn the lights on to check you’ve got the polarities the right way round. Once sorted, replace the three cluster screws and replace the cluster surround and it’s four holding screws.

You can now replace the main dash surround. Plug in the mirror switch plug, clip in the surround starting at the mirror switch and over the steering column. Reconnect the air-con sensor (and for me plug in the fog light switch spade connectors) by the steering column. Now reconnect the clock, hazard lights and rear heater switch plugs and then clip in the remainder of the dash surround into place. Finally replace the two screws at the bottom of the dash surround:

Plug in the cigarette lighter connectors, clip the gear knob surround into place, and screw the gear knob back onto the gearstick. Screw the two screws behind the ashtray back into place.

Replace the ashtray and hey presto, job done!

When it gets dark, switch your lights on and admire your work!

A quick before and after comparison:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Hope this helped.
Alex :smokin:.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

Your not the only now who'll be doing this. Would this be the same bulbs for an R32 as well?

·
Registered
481 Posts
you can also change the ring around the cig lighter and igntion lock with leds. All mine are blue

I did all the button illumination for the climate as well but couldnt work out how to change the green display on the clock and climate

·
Registered
196 Posts
Great work there alex, will be ordering some leds tomorrow now. Richf - what leds do you need to replace the button illumination as well as the ignition lock?

Cheers

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:

Your not the only now who'll be doing this. Would this be the same bulbs for an R32 as well?
I have a spare speedo head, centre guage set in the garage I'll have a look if I remember tonight.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think the gauge pod is the same but the main cluster is different on the 32.

Richf - Yeah, if you know what the replacements LED size and how many neeeded for the other bits let me know :).

Cheers.

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
you can also change the ring around the cig lighter and igntion lock with leds. All mine are blue

I did all the button illumination for the climate as well but couldnt work out how to change the green display on the clock and climate

do you have pic on doing the igntion lock on a r33? are they all the same .....thanks james

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ilumination of switches

Hi, main gauge + aux gauge look much better in led, any idea where to get suitable led or standard bulbs for that matter, to fit the switches for radio controls, hazard flashers, heated rear window + front fog lamps in the dash surround on a R32 only one of my switches is still lit.

Also does anyone know if all R32's are the same as regards front fog lamp switch ? when you switch my front fog lamp switch on the side lamps front + rear and all the dash lights illuminate (all those where bulbs not blown) seems strange as this happens with the main light switch in the off position.

Many Thanks

Marc

·
Registered
117 Posts
This a great thread but has anyone out there tried to remove the three centre gauges on an R32? I have done the speedo and that was a piece of cake, but I did a search on here did not find any info. Surely somone must have a quick how-to for the R32 as I spent an hour today pondering over this and not wanting to break anything I put it all back together and came on here for some enlightenment. Any help greatfully accepted.

Thanks

Richard

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,172 Posts
Piece of piss mate.

Remove the gear knob, then remove the gear gaiter. Remove the two screws under the gaiter. Pop out the ash-tray and there's another two screws. You can the un-clip the radio surround.

You should see that the centre gauges are screwed in either side. You'll need to pop the face panel (black trim piece with three holes for the gauges). There's some pics in my thread in the members pics.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Now done this in my R32 so cheers Alex you were most helpful :thumbsup:

Anyone know what the name of tiny bulbs are in the heater/aircon controller are :confused: :chuckle: There soooooooooooo cute :chuckle:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts