GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted some nice LED bulbs to replace the weedy yellow glow of the OEMs? Seen a pic on NAGTROC, but it didn't detail which bulbs to get.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Daryl, no I meant the ones in the headlight cluster that come on when you put sidelights on. Very weak dull glow compared to the Xenons and now my LED daylight running lights.

Thanks Alex, but has anyone actually installed any on their GT-R yet?

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You have to take the wheelarch l-i-n-e-r out to access the headlight assembly, so I've been told.

I'll probably plan to fit them around changing my brake pads when the wheel has to come off anyway.

Which colour matches our Xenons and the Nissan LED running lamps best?
Blue/white or just white?

ETA WTF is wrong with the word I've had to mangle above?! Hardly a swear word! Or is the computer scared of the word "pantyliner"? :D

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
You have to take the wheelarch ***** out to access the headlight assembly, so I've been told.

I'll probably plan to fit them around changing my brake pads when the wheel has to come off anyway.

Which colour matches our Xenons and the Nissan LED running lamps best?
Blue/white or just white?
Hi David,

Not sure? that's why I want to try them 1st. I will keep you posted & take some pictures with them fitted.

Dave.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Hi David,

Good news is the bulbs can be changed under the bonnet:thumbsup: Bad news is I dropped the bulb in the headlight, took 30mins to recover it with a cable tie & some sticky tape:runaway: Got it out now & have tried all the Piaa led's we have in stock, unfortunately none of them achieve the required look as regards colour. They are very white or blue, but because of the angle they enter the headlamp as opposed to straight on they are not as bright as I had hoped.

Best result I have achieved so far is with some Osram Halogen H5W Xenon look, but not perfect.

I am going to order some of these to try next?

H429 SUPER TERA 6500K LED H6W WHITE PAIR £58.00 + vat.

H520 SUPER TERA EVOLUTION 6000K PAIR £52.48 + vat.

I will keep you posted with my progress.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool! While you're fiddling around under there, do you have any ideas re fitting silvered indicator bulbs, or maybe even LED ones that glow amber but look clear?

Some guys on NAGTROC have tried but with limited success both on fitment (the bulb base needed to me filed down to fit) and brightness: Stealth turn signals - NAGTROC - The Nissan GT-R Owners Club

There was another thread showing LED sidelights installed, but I can't find it at the moment.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi David,

Good news is the bulbs can be changed under the bonnet:thumbsup: Bad news is I dropped the bulb in the headlight, took 30mins to recover it with a cable tie & some sticky tape:runaway: Got it out now & have tried all the Piaa led's we have in stock, unfortunately none of them achieve the required look as regards colour. They are very white or blue, but because of the angle they enter the headlamp as opposed to straight on they are not as bright as I had hoped.

Best result I have achieved so far is with some Osram Halogen H5W Xenon look, but not perfect.

I am going to order some of these to try next?

H429 SUPER TERA 6500K LED H6W WHITE PAIR £58.00 + vat.

H520 SUPER TERA EVOLUTION 6000K PAIR £52.48 + vat.

I will keep you posted with my progress.

Dave.
Cheers for your efforts Dave...in for updates :D

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Thanks for all the encouragement:thumbsup:

Here is the latest effort using H407 HYPER DIMPLE SUPER LED BULB PAIR £14.22 + vat They seem to be better because they resemble the original bulb shape?

Original side light only

Piaa side light only

Original with HID on

Piaa with HID on

Thoughts?

Not forgotten the indicators David, they look a bit more involved! I will get round to it.

Dave:)

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard to tell from the photos, but the colour definitely looks better.

But are they considerably less bright in real life than the standard ones? That's how they appear in the photos but that could be just the way the colour of the sidelight gets lost in the reflector.

Cheers for trying this out Dave.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Hard to tell from the photos, but the colour definitely looks better.

But are they considerably less bright in real life than the standard ones? That's how they appear in the photos but that could be just the way the colour of the sidelight gets lost in the reflector.

Cheers for trying this out Dave.
Hi David, Ideally they do need to be brighter, but in my opinion they are much better & cleaner then the dull glow from the OE bulbs, I am waiting for the others to arrive from Piaa to see if they are any brighter? They will need to be for the price difference:nervous:

You might get a better idea from the larger images here:Flickr: Search [email protected]'s photostream

Dave:wavey:

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Probably being daft, but I dont get why the PIAA website indicates that the H429 and H520 as "for show or off-road use".
That is because no aftermarket leds are "e" approved. EEC rules for you:chairshot

Here are some pictures taken with the H520 Piaa offroad led's :D:D
Headlights on dip beam

Side lights only

Standard side light bulb

Piaa H-520 sidelight bulb

Hope that helps? Just the indicators to do:nervous:

Dave;)

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Much better. How much for a set?

And it's not just the indicators to do, what about an HID upgrade for the main beams?
Always fancied having bi-Xenons! :D

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Much better. How much for a set?
RRP £60.35 Less 10% for forum users, posted 1st class post. POA for overseas

And it's not just the indicators to do, what about an HID upgrade for the main beams?
Always fancied having bi-Xenons! :D
Anyone know how easy it is to remove the headlights? Is it a bumper off job?

Dave.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was looking at the HiDs, but access to headlamp appears to be wheel off, panel inner wheelarch and even then access looks restricted.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts