GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Business Opportunity

It seems to me, the whole spare parts “cost” issue creates an opportunity for the tail to wag the dog. Without wanting to profit from those who have had shunts I think we could drive Nissan to market pricing by:-

• Establish a company to purchase crash vehicles (say £1K or £2K a share for working capital - 15 to 20 shareholders)

• Contract with one (or more) of the many forum members who have the capability to strip, document, package, store and ship the perfect components. ( give or throw away anything which requires refurbishment)

• Pricing philosophy is to calculate component pricing based on recovering working capital, contractor’s agreed costs and providing working capital for the next car.

Based on what I was told by HPC the component cost of a replacement GTR is about 9 x the cost of buying one. So, on this logic we will be able to sell original and available components many many times cheaper than Nissan.

No question WE have the audience on this forum to buy the available components. By reprocessing perfect parts will force Nissan (PR and reduced sales) to further evaluate pricing

Working capital and measured profit would be returned to the shareholders when the market becomes more “Balanced”

Thoughts on a postcard to ....

·
Registered
942 Posts
One would hope that such an enterprise would reduce its own rate of supply of vehicles by making it possible to put cars back on the road (if safe to do so) which would otherwise have been written off due to the cost of parts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Buy new GTR´s,pull them in pieces and sell the parts....youll do a lot of profit..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Buy new GTR´s,pull them in pieces and sell the parts....youll do a lot of profit..:thumbsup:
We do this with computers... it doesn't quite work like that.

There is high demand on certain parts and perhaps only one per unit being cannibalised. This leaves you with parts which do have a value but might be slow to move. You have the upfront investment to recover to at least a break even + the cost of strip down and storage.

It can be done but it’s not as simple as it sounds. My view is it would work best with heavy write offs but units which still have engine, transmission in tact. Need a warehouse, engineer and a database... oh and some spare time plus the cash.

Great Idea... do we have the above do you think?

·
Registered
690 Posts
One of the real problems we have here is how cheap (in comparison) the R35 is to buy new. This is contributing to the number of write offs! The very same car is I believe around 125,000 Euros in Germany. The part prices are silly money so it doesn't take much to get to say 60% of the cars UK market value at which point the insurer is looking at not repairing the car.

I'm told written off uk vehicles are going to auction and being snapped up by the overseas market.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would have thought that seeing as there are 200 confirmed owner members on this forum and we all need tyres wraps parts etc then perhaps the club can negotiate some discounts with a tyre supplier (who will get to supply all our tyres but with a big discount, supply only then you get them fitted your self) and a servicing workshop (Litchfields perhaps) and a wrapping centre ( magic's perhaps) etc etc.
I understand that some people will not be near these suppliers but something can be worked out.
If you get 200 GT-Rs not being serviced at HPC's that may get some attention as they have invested serious amounts of money.
I think this is known as market forces?
Sounds good to me and I think it makes the owners club pretty powerful if worked properly.
Comments please!

·
Registered
46 Posts
good idea! new engine can be easily sold for 30k (36k b.new), tranny brand new is 25k, can be sold easy for 18-20k. and these are 2 high demand items. all body part , lights etc.. can also be easily sold for cars with minor accidents.. good money in the project

·
Registered
300 Posts
i think i or you didn't get it.

This is not to do money. You dont sell the engine 30k if you bought the car 20. More like, you do a list of the good parts and THEN set a price for them at the prorata of buying value.

Ex : if you have a good block/good trans/ good rear dif/ good rear arms and so on. You evaluate that an engine is 50% of the value FROM that precise car at that price. So you sell it 0.5 of car's price. A transmission is 30% ... 30% of that car's price.

Obviously you also need to add Warehouse/management/mecanic/shareholder minimal part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts