GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My initial plan for the moneypit was to soldier on with stock box and diffs until they break, but over the last few months ive chaged enough boxes n diffs to make me never wanna bother again, so decided i may as well do it from the start.

Ive driven a GTR with a PPG dog box and having no syncros was not an issue for me, can easily drive it without crunching, so thats not a problem.

So whats the best bet, bearing in mind money IS a big issue for me, for a strong gearbox?

Ie whats the boxes that people seem to survive just nice on, and what they set you back?

What do Quaife do these days?

Also diffs, I remember keith cowie smashing a front diff at TOTB, but how common is that on silly power cars?
Reconning the centre diff and sorting a decent rear diff is a no-brainer, but dunno about the front.
Not generally a fan of LSD front diffs as it often ****s the handling, but if the stock ones likely to break when driven like a loon, its a wise idea.

Has anyone used Quaife ATB diffs on a GTR?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Think Ron Kiddell does also. I run a Quaife box in mine which has had some teething problems but i am assured they will sort it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
quaife do a 6-speed dog engagement kit and a 6-speed uprated sequential gearbox. sequential box is 6-speed with dog engagement and straight cut gears.

neil

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The standard gearbox can take a lot of power I have run 600bhp through the box of my Black GTR. I have also known a standard box to blow with as little as 400bhp even when they were in good condition as mine did this weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
sorry but cant help there, just got the info from the quaife catalogue i had lying around. no prices listed so its a phone quaife jobby.

neil

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
I was under the impression that the Quaif box was a little,erm, well not as good as it was made out to be.(Only going on what others have said)
There was a guy with a TVR who was making his own modifications to what was essentially a sequential box, and apparently his mods were good for knocking seconds off the 1/4 mile time. Not sure it could handle massive power, but probably good for 600-ish i would have thought.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
paul cawson said:
The standard gearbox can take a lot of power I have run 600bhp through the box of my Black GTR. I have also known a standard box to blow with as little as 400bhp even when they were in good condition as mine did this weekend.
Well im gonna be running at least 700 and same toruqe, probably a lot more, and the car is being built to be used hard, so wont last long with a standard box.

I know people have ran low 10s with a stock box, but like said, ive had my fill of box and diff changing lately, so i wanna sort it.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Luffy said:
The box i mentioned yesturday Steve is a Jerico racing gearbox, its a H pattern dog box i believe.
cool, is it a RWD box tho?

ive seen a Jerico air shift box in a drag GTR in japan tho, and that was 4wd

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Steve, aftermarket diffs are fine, chose CUSCO or similar. ALL the gearbox's in my personal opinion have there weaknesses and they all will break given sufficient abuse, er, heavy use. Some may last longer than others. Seq is better than H if you utilise an ignition cut on shift. Its the speed in which load is reapplied before dogs (or sync's) are flly engaged which is the crippler.

Japan choice is HKS H pattern first, Hollinger if you go seq. However I believe they are influenced by how easy repairs can be carried out in that part of the world.

DaveG

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Boxes

People who cant drive using dog/seq/race gearboxes are the problem in most cases save a few unlucky.

SteveN the answer you seek, you already know, whatever it is you will break it and it wont last forever and it will cost a small fortune.

Andy

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Andy Barnes said:
People who cant drive using dog/seq/race gearboxes are the problem in most cases save a few unlucky.

SteveN the answer you seek, you already know, whatever it is you will break it and it wont last forever and it will cost a small fortune.

Andy

I'll second Andy's statement on dog boxes, they are easy to use once you have the knack.

Good firm movement from a loaded gear lever is for me the slickest way to achieve a clean fast change.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts