GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
Mick,

Thanks for the comments, however your car was awesome and it was well driven.

Those burnouts were V cool.

Were you able to judge if the sequentials operated differently?

Cheers

Hugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,936 Posts
Hugh Keir said:
Mick,

Thanks for the comments, however your car was awesome and it was well driven.

Those burnouts were V cool.

Were you able to judge if the sequentials operated differently?

Cheers

Hugh
Yes Hugh and thank you for your kind comments.

It was unreal. As you know i have been doing this for a few years now. But until i put the seq box in the car i realised what i have been missing for the years i have been doing it.
Totally AWESOME the gear changes were so crisp and fast. Unreal.
Although i was on Tim's borrowed box because i had a mishap with mine i am 100% sure the Lemon would of hit 200 mph due to the ratios in the Box
I still have a lot to learn i hit the limiter far to many times. I was used to the old Lemon wait wait!! I cant thank Tim enough for lending me the box it was so kind of him what a gent!
But now its [email protected] change [email protected] change and so easy it is.
I am Totally mesmerized in the changes of the gears can't say more than that can I ??

Mick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
Andy Barnes said:
SteveN the answer you seek, you already know, whatever it is you will break it and it wont last forever and it will cost a small fortune.
Andy
This man speaks the gosphel of the GT-R gearbox. What everyone doesn't want to hear, but finds to be the truth in the end.

http://tyndago.googlepages.com/gt-rtransmissions

Stock box, shockproof heavy, sprung hub clutch, and pucker up every time you shift into 3rd gear. I've only broken 3 stock boxes.

Getrag, its an option. Seems to work well in the Supras, our GT-R's dont seem to have much luck. We break shifting balks in the race car. I haven't broken a Getrag yet myself, but maybe I haven't tried hard enough, or run one in a fast enough car.

The OS gearset, would give me a warm fuzzy up to 700 hp range. Its like stock, just a bit stronger. Run it with Shockproof Heavy, should be a good streetable setup.

The PPG - as you said - strong - but damn its loud. I drove one all around the East Coast here in the US... between the Weldon fuel pump, 4" exhaust, and PPG gearbox, you could barely hear the radio...:chuckle:

Holinger sequential is fun. Can be broken, like any other. We had to repair ours earlier. Nothing is indestructable.


Diffs. The problem with the diffs is not really the diff. Well , it is and isn't. The problem is that the front wheels/axles can only handle so much torque. You need to limit torque going to the front wheels to keep from snapping the front. If you don't limit torque, the first thing to break will be the spiders in the front open diff. If you replace that with something aftermarket, the next to go will be axles. The real reason for torque split controllers is to limit the amount of front torque.

I've done 2 front diffs. One launching on the street off the 2 step, one at the drag strip. When they break, it sucks,normally the parts go though the oil pan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,047 Posts
PPG

Only horror stories from the GTART camp, ask Gary.

Used one once in TJ's car, worked/felt quite nice although it had the feeling of a Whores XXXX, gears seemed ramdom and very loose but it selected fine.

I havent broken a diff yet, nor a driveshaft. I have used Cusco for the diffs and HKS for the shafts, nothing to report in a bad sense - also run these on Goodyear slicks on the VHT'd strip.

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
8pot said:
How do the rev cut things work with the sequential boxes and what parts are required?
Strain gage. The strain gage "feels" the pull on the shifter. If you used a microswitch, it would either block the shift, or not engage in time.

You need an ECU that can handle the input from the strain gage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,936 Posts
tyndago said:
Strain gage. The strain gage "feels" the pull on the shifter. If you used a microswitch, it would either block the shift, or not engage in time.

You need an ECU that can handle the input from the strain gage.
Yes. Then some clever man to do another switch so you can drive the car every day on the road.

Mick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I have AEM, would this be compatible? Do you use the clutch or just give it a good tug with the throttle flat?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
SteveN said:
Also diffs, I remember keith cowie smashing a front diff at TOTB, but how common is that on silly power cars?
The front diff that i smashed was a Std R32 diff the OS Giken one did not
come over from Japan in time for TOTB 3

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Andy Barnes said:
I havent broken a diff yet, nor a driveshaft. I have used Cusco for the diffs and HKS for the shafts, nothing to report in a bad sense - also run these on Goodyear slicks on the VHT'd strip.

Andy
Andy did you not manage to smash your HKS 6 Sp dogbox :p

Never mind i did the same to my HKS box:rolleyes:

I just cant seem to be able to do the same to my OS 88:clap: :clap: :clap:

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
keith said:
The front diff that i smashed was a Std R32 diff the OS Giken one did not come over from Japan in time for TOTB 3
Thats pretty lucky. I snapped an R33 one on the street. Just on the 2 step at around 5500. Redline Shockproof heavy in it

I know about 5-6 people that have snapped stock ones. Break the gears off the spiders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
tyndago said:
Thats pretty lucky. I snapped an R33 one on the street. Just on the 2 step at around 5500. Redline Shockproof heavy in it

I know about 5-6 people that have snapped stock ones. Break the gears off the spiders.
How many bhp did you run at this time?

Is the diff any better in a 34?

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,480 Posts
Bateman said:
How many bhp did you run at this time?Is the diff any better in a 34?
It was on no boost... Probably something in the 350 wheel horsepower range.

R34 diff... I have seen some people say its an R180... I thought they were all R160's... have to go and check one out... it doesnt say in the service manual.

I have a bunch of diffs hear, just too lazy to actually go measure one.
 
21 - 40 of 97 Posts
Top