GTR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Bateman said:
Where can you buy a aftermarket front diff?
Does OS Giken make this?

Thanks
Hi Bateman

Yes Os make and sell front and rear diffs they also make the diffs that Cusco sell

This is taken from the OS website

OS Giken Super Lock LSD

The OS Giken Super Lock LSD is a unique mechanical 1.5-way LSD design.* Unlike most LSD centres of this type, which use only 6-8 plates per side, the OS Giken centre has been designed to carry 14 plates per side! This gives the Super Lock LSD unparalleled smoothness and ensures total locking under load. This makes it the perfect upgrade for modified cars used for street, drift race or drag applications.
*2-way version available by special order.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I recently broke my front diff which took out my sump as well, apparently it was quite a spectacular mess...didnt go for the trust diff, wish I had in retrospect to be honest....would tell you how much power but havent had the car dynoe'd yet.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Box

keith said:
Andy did you not manage to smash your HKS 6 Sp dogbox :p
No, I never smashed it, I wore a dog through bad gear changing when I first bought one, once I got to realise how to use it best, I never broke it once - Until I sold it to Tim and he broke it straight away.

As I said earlier, people who dont know how to use a racing gearbox will have major problems.

As for your OS88 box, great, its about time someone had one that didnt break every 5 minutes, theyve obviously made some changes to keep it in one piece, unless you give it to Ron K ! :D

Whilst talking to Ron K recently he said he run bearings the bottom end in the ultra strong OS 3.0 engine he has.

If OS do make the Cusco diffs, thats cool, Cusco stuff is cheaper to buy - hey everyone, if you want OS, buy Cusco, its cheaper and it doesnt break!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Andy Barnes said:
As I said earlier, people who dont know how to use a racing gearbox will have major problems
Surely it's just a normal non-synchro box, there's no magic to it.

Phil

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Magic

Philip said:

Phil
Considering some poeple cant even change gear quickly or nicely on a normal gearbox without crunching or misshifting, what hope do they have for a special gearbox that requires some thought to change gear well. Let alone most people cant left foot brake or heel and toe etc, all good things required for a racebox to live long.

Your ' theres no magic to it ' is exactly why people break race boxes, ' how hard can it be ' - hard enough that a normal person who has never used one before will break it through thier own fault, not the boxes.

Andy :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Andy Barnes said:
Your ' theres no magic to it ' is exactly why people break race boxes, ' how hard can it be ' - hard enough that a normal person who has never used one before will break it through thier own fault, not the boxes.

Andy :)
Give them an old Zetor or similar for a week, they'll soon get the hang of it ...

Phil

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
tigger said:
I recently broke my front diff which took out my sump as well, apparently it was quite a spectacular mess...didnt go for the trust diff, wish I had in retrospect to be honest....would tell you how much power but havent had the car dynoe'd yet.

Thats normal from what I have seen. When it breaks the gears on the spiders, they exit the front diff. The front diff is part of the oil pan, so now you need a new pan.

The thing that bothers me about it, is that its not at all an uncommon occurance on fairly stock cars.

Good hard launch, the center diff locks up, lots of power goes to the front wheels, and the diff breaks. Back to that limiting torque to the front wheels thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
tyndago said:
Thats normal from what I have seen. When it breaks the gears on the spiders, they exit the front diff. The front diff is part of the oil pan, so now you need a new pan.

The thing that bothers me about it, is that its not at all an uncommon occurance on fairly stock cars.

Good hard launch, the center diff locks up, lots of power goes to the front wheels, and the diff breaks. Back to that limiting torque to the front wheels thing.
Who sells these front torque limiters, and how do they work really, difficult to install?

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Who sells these front torque limiters, and how do they work really, difficult to install?

Here's a few....
HKS - ETC and DA
Field - Linear ETS
Grid - Dancer
R32Combat on this forum makes and sells them as well.

High power drag GT-R's often ditch the electronic ATTESSA control and fit a big hydraulic hand lever for the driver to control the front drive.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Philip said:

Phil
Still not easy when someones never done it before.

Ive been in a fair few cars with dog boxes and the drivers (many of them far more experienced with mental motors than the average GTR owner) were for ever having little crunches and so on, and this made me shit worried about using one, totally put me off buying one in a "if they cant do it, doubt i can either" way, as I know as per andys warnings that this is how thye end up dying.

Then I finally got to use one, and I have a bizzare knack of it, mixture of my pretty brutal driving style and just having the knack of rev matching on gearchanges (not summat I ever bother with really on synchro cars unless HAVE to) made me not have any problems with it, which is I was suprised about going by my previous experiences.

Deffo can see why so many get worn out dead quick tho!

·
Registered
67 Posts
keith said:
I just cant seem to be able to do the same to my OS 88:clap: :clap: :clap:

Keith
While I definately wont argue the strength of the OS88 box, I have heard and seen some issues where they just simply refuse to shift at high rpm (8500+).

The boxes are basically brand new (very minimal km's on them) with very competent drivers at the wheel (one is an ex European F3000 driver) and when reaching the top of 2nd gear it wont change gear.

Car I have seen it on is running a JUN 2.7L stoker revving out to 10,000rpm with a T51R SPL hanging off the side of it.

Just curious if you know anything about this problem, has been encountered on multiple cars running completely different setups. The problem always surfaces though when trying to change gears above 8500/9000rpm.

Doesnt matter if flat shifting using ignition cut on ECU or using the clutch, always the same problem.

The boxes are also using the reccomended oil by OSG.

I am looking for one to go on my car which will be running the JUN stoker and high rpm's, but doesnt instill much confidence in the box when multiple cars are having the same problem.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Amaru said:
While I definately wont argue the strength of the OS88 box, I have heard and seen some issues where they just simply refuse to shift at high rpm (8500+).

The boxes are basically brand new (very minimal km's on them) with very competent drivers at the wheel (one is an ex European F3000 driver) and when reaching the top of 2nd gear it wont change gear.

Car I have seen it on is running a JUN 2.7L stoker revving out to 10,000rpm with a T51R SPL hanging off the side of it.

Just curious if you know anything about this problem, has been encountered on multiple cars running completely different setups. The problem always surfaces though when trying to change gears above 8500/9000rpm.

Doesnt matter if flat shifting using ignition cut on ECU or using the clutch, always the same problem.

The boxes are also using the reccomended oil by OSG.

I am looking for one to go on my car which will be running the JUN stoker and high rpm's, but doesnt instill much confidence in the box when multiple cars are having the same problem.
Hi Amaru

Here is a p/m that i got from Nick the owner of the R32 that you are talking about.i sent him a reply months ago.

Keith

os 6speed sequential help!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jun 2.7l said:
Hi Keith was just after some help i live in Australia and have an r32gtr car can be viewed at www.croydonracingdevelopments.com.au im currently running a 2.7 jun motor with a hks t51r spl turbo motec ecu launch control etc etc has made 660kw at 4 wheels on elf race fuel. im currently using the os 6sp sequential box my question is since you have the experince with these boxes do you flat shift without the use of a clutch or not we tried it the other day at the track but the box didnt like this method to hard to engage gear we also have setup the motec to give it a rev cut when u move the shifter to help it engage the next gear. can you please give me some advice based on your experiences to overcome this problem or any other help thanks Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
keith said:
Hi Amaru

Here is a p/m that i got from Nick the owner of the R32 that you are talking about.i sent him a reply months ago.

Keith

os 6speed sequential help!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Keith sorry i never recieved a pm from you so i figured it may have been something you didnt want to answer to. In the mean time i have spoken to keir from wilall racing telling me that he has experienced the same issues and thats why he uses the hollinger box basically the os88 is far more stronger than the hollinger but refuses to shift fast and at high rpm the hollinger not as strong but loves to shift. I am the one telling Amuru to hold back on buying a gearbox at the moment until we work out a solution to my problem. Any help would be appreciated as im days away in making a decision on purchasing a hollinger box and i didnt really want to go to any unessary expense if i find a solution. Thanks

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
jun 2.7l said:
Hi Keith sorry i never recieved a pm from you so i figured it may have been something you didnt want to answer to. In the mean time i have spoken to keir from wilall racing telling me that he has experienced the same issues and thats why he uses the hollinger box basically the os88 is far more stronger than the hollinger but refuses to shift fast and at high rpm the hollinger not as strong but loves to shift. I am the one telling Amuru to hold back on buying a gearbox at the moment until we work out a solution to my problem. Any help would be appreciated as im days away in making a decision on purchasing a hollinger box and i didnt really want to go to any unessary expense if i find a solution. Thanks
Hi Nick

All I can tell you is that I can flat-shift with my box at 9000 revs and it only takes 30 milliseconds to change gear it is so smooth and takes very little effort to go up or
down the box.I don't think another 1000 revs will make any difference to how it changes gear.

I have used the HKS Dog box,Hollinger and the OS88 and i find the OS
to be the best that i have used so far.

I am not just saying that because they sponsor me:) before anyone says something:chairshot

You have another P/M

Keith

·
Registered
17 Posts
Keith---> Is the OS88 anything for street use?
Will there be any difference in how fast the car goes in each gear with this tranny?
It´s 6 speed right?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
lightspeed said:
HKS - ETC and DA
Field - Linear ETS
Grid - Dancer
R32Combat on this forum makes and sells them as well.

High power drag GT-R's often ditch the electronic ATTESSA control and fit a big hydraulic hand lever for the driver to control the front drive.
They are not really torque limiters in as much torque split controllers. The thing you want to do is limit torque to the front wheels. Sooner or later, big power GT-R's break the front diff. Break front axles. Break front propshaft.

The best way to remedy it, rather than just make everything stronger, is to limit the torque going to the front wheels.

The hydraulic levers just take the electric pump out of it. Less parts to fail. Less weight.

Lock up the center diff like a AWD car. Its what seems to work best for drag racing.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts