GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the general feeling and why with regards to my above question ?

Reason I am asking this is that now we are right in the middle of winter and conditions are often like this here in Sweden:

I now haven't driven my car for over a month and a half and was wondering if it's a good idea to start her up and let her idle for a bit every now and then to keep everything lubricated in the engine etc ?

I probably won't get the chance to drive her again until at least mid/late March now because of the snow and salt on the roads over here.

If you think this is not a good idea please state why as I know many people do this to no ill affect.

My battery is not a problem as I have a ctek charger installed so that's always at 100%, I was just wondering about the engine etc.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Cheers

Shaun :)

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Yes, thats a good idea. Really you need to let the oil get upto full temp also to evaporate the water out of the oil.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
+1, but I wouldn't hang around in the garage, especially if your exhaust is like mine - decatted and big, running on the rich side, you'll suffocate yourself for sure :p

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would also advise if to pull it forward one foot while and leave it there. Then, the next time you start her up, back it up another foot or so (more if you have the room). Easier on the wheel bearings and helps avoid flat spots on the tires...
Kepp the garage door open when she's running...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I wouldnt drive in those conditions unless i had a 4x4

And i dont mean a Skyline either :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine's stored in the garage for winter, too cold and too much salt on the roads and studded tyres are even more expense. I think the weather will be roughly the same as I'm only a little above you on the map.

Do you guys have the engine warmers to plug into your cars?

Anyway, to the point: I move my car once a week, whatever the weather, just to keep the brakes from seizing and to stop the tyres from sitting on the same spot. Last week, I tried to reverse into the garage, it was really cold and there was so much exhaust gas I couldn't see the doors! :) A good point about warming the engine up, I hadn't really though about that, as I just do a little round and then put it straight back as leaving it running in the garage would be certain death! :) Wonder how it'll like -30!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I would also advise if to pull it forward one foot while and leave it there. Then, the next time you start her up, back it up another foot or so (more if you have the room). Easier on the wheel bearings and helps avoid flat spots on the tires...
Kepp the garage door open when she's running...
Yeah - this is also very important.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also store the GT-R safe from the salted roads and every once in a while leave it running in idle for about 15 minutes or so.

How about you fellow-owners who don't rape the car by driving it on salted roads, have you put any anti-rust "stuff" on the bottom of your car?

I thought it would be wiser to leave it as it is, in factory paint; that way I can see immediately if there are any beginning rust spots and can fix them straight away.
Instead of letting them be under a layer of under body anti-rust mass until the point that some metal has to be renewed.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you get a copy of octane magazine there are some rollers in there on a frame, one under each wheel and you can drive the car sat in the garage, this will also give the whole transmission a chance to warm up/lubricate.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Certainly alot different view there to what you had in pitsea shaun, hope all is well mate!
how cool would it be to have one of those air jaks fitted:smokin:
allways like to let mine get up to temp now and again when i'm not using it for a while, can't do no harm.
cheers
Tom:)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If you start it every week or so make sure you run it until the oil is HOT not just warm. Any unburnt fuel left over from start up will contaminate your oil and it will degrade a LOT faster. The oil needs to get up to enough temp to burn contaminents off (about 80ºc from memory)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Oil

Yip, i allow my engine to fully warm but before it hits the road it also gets a full oil change.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
All good advice above. I used to leave my car for months in the garage when I was away from the UK. The handbrake used to seize up, so I learnt to leave the car out of gear and with the brakes off and wooden tyre chocks, (blocks) in case anyone leant on the car for any reason! :eek: Rust forming on the discs was also a problem as it 'bridged' & could cause a wheel to lock. Rolling the car backwards or forwards every so often and leaving it on a different part of the tyre is good.

If you have a damp floor, it might be a good idea to lay wooden planks lengthways for the tyres to sit on; this will lift the car up enough for better air circulation.

If you can get the exhaust hot enough for long enough you can burn out the water that collects inside in the same spot, thus avoiding a long-term rust spot and eventual hole.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's cold here in Sweden now !

Thanks for all the advice people, I let the car tick over a few days ago now until she was fully up to temp etc. I tell you not being able to drive the car at the moment is hard as I just can’t wait to drive her again now !

Anyway I don’t think I will be driving her for some time now as it is -20c here in Sweden today, yes you did read that right -20c !! And we have had more snow a couple of days ago now, in fact here are a couple of pics of what it looks like here again right now !

And finally yours truly after a couple of hours of shoveling snow !

Shaun.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Certainly alot different view there to what you had in pitsea shaun, hope all is well mate!
how cool would it be to have one of those air jaks fitted:smokin:
allways like to let mine get up to temp now and again when i'm not using it for a while, can't do no harm.
cheers
Tom:)
Hi Tom, how are you mate ?

Yeah my view here in Sweden now certainly is a little different from good old Pitsea eh he he !!

And yeah it would be great to have that air jack system fitted, would certainly make oil changes etc a lot easier.

Oh yeah, your old exhaust will be going on the car in a few months as soon as I have got the car registered here in Sweden, will let you know how that goes !

Speak soon.

Shaun.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
don't know how no one has said this yet,but you shouldn't really let the car warm up at idle now then should you?

as then not all the engine oil is warm,only sum of it is.
What i tend to do,is once the oil pressure has settled,rev it up to about 2500rpm,then back down to idle,then back to 2500rpm and so on,just makes that much bigger of a splash inside the engine,so all of the oil gets hot

and just before you turn it off,just give it a real good rev to clear the stuff ou t the exhaust,and then let it idle for about 20seconds to circulate oil around the engine,then turn it off

1 - 20 of 29 Posts