GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my car dead level, and it just won't seem to get there. The passenger side of the car is higher by 8mm in the front, 5mm in the back. My rears are not easily adjustable (Mine's/Ohlins) and are set at exactly the same ride height. My fronts are Teins - changes in the front affect the rear. I'm measuring from the bottom of the rim, through the center of the wheel, to the edge of the fender.

Should I keep trying to level it out, or is it basically never going to come out perfectly?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
not 100% that youd get acurate reading, never done this before mind but i would try using something imoveable i.e roof as a guide, if the fender has had a slight knock in its life or the top of your suspension is slightly knocked in on one side could give inacurate readings and the whole car may be off as a pose to the wheel area. which i would have thought would upset the car more weight wise.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Is the place where the car stands,100% straight?? For sure not:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the place where the car stands,100% straight?? For sure not:thumbsup:

I've taken the measurements in several different locations and get the same readings, + or - 1mm or so. I can see the difference (the car tilting to the drivers side) when staring at the car straight on - 8mm may not seem like much but it's visible. Yes, I'm overly fastidious, but that's the way it is with these hobbies....

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
evo does have a point, if the ground is raised slightly on one side the wheel will be higher and your reading may be out, may be better to do with whole car raised?
will be intresting to see how you sort it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That raises the question,

Will you then drive it with a person of identical weight to you in the passenger seat to keep it level?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That raises the question,

Will you then drive it with a person of identical weight to you in the passenger seat to keep it level?
I have a sandbag balanced to my bodyweight (naked). I have a selection of smaller sandbags which I add based on my clothes (summer or winter) and if I've eaten or not, and if I've recently gone to the toilet.

I am kidding. Seriously!!

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as I understood it all vehicles are set up this way to compensate for road angles..

Aitch

interesting...although I live and drive in a LHD world (makes paying tolls and parking garages a great contortionist exercise :p), so listing to the right just makes things worse for me.

After a lot of cursing and whatnot, on the lift, off the lift, measuring bottom of rim to fender, from ground to fender, it's pretty much even now - +3mm on the drivers side, plenty good enough for me. Car tracks smoother, so I'm glad I went through the hassle.

Thank god my rears are (essentially) non-adjustable, otherwise I'd have gone nuts and would probably still be in the shop, trying to balance things out...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts