1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Yes i did and yes i did !!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Haven't been too impressed with last couple of episodes but yesterdays episode was pretty good imho.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
What did he say? or atleast tell me the itme he said it :p Can't be bothered watching it all again, but was a good episode for a last one.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
around 9minutes 50 seconds into the program. Clarkson: "Hammond, does this car do one thousand one hundred and fity eight miles an hour?....so it isn't six times faster than the nissan GT-R so why does it cost six times more?.....it needs to be [made of more exotic materials than the gt-r] ..it should be made out of myrrh.....my bogseat is made out of carbon fibre but it doesn't cost[over £300,000]

·
Registered
757 Posts
the LF-A, while cool, appears to be a Toyota billboard me-too car.

They're sort of damned if they do or don't. They can't really come out with a twin-turbo, AWD, V6 supercar else they would be accused of copying Nissan.

They can't really call it "Toyota" even though that is what it really is... because it costs too much.

Lexus doesn't make any sense because there is no racing team or heritage under a Lexus moniker.

But it's not going to appeal much to the Ferrari or Lamborghini buyer, probably not.

So it has to be something that sets it apart from the other supercars, so we get the LF-A. I'd love to get behind the wheel of one and go for a drive. Then I would really know what the LF-A is about (probably about driving and performance).

·
Registered
199 Posts
With Toyota exiting F1, would think, especially with the success of the GT-R and Japanese pride, that this would be a good time to go in to GT cars. They enjoyed huge success in rallying some years back.

Maybe an evolution of the Supra?

I am a big Toyota fan - all things being equal I would buy one. Would keep the GT-R of course :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
It's a cracking car, period. IMO the reason it's getting stick is because it says Lexus on it. If it was built by some previously unknown manufacturer like Pagani or Koenigsegg then the price would have been justified?! Why? It would have had more "soul" ? :D Oh pleaaaaase!

If it's too expensive then it probably means that you don't have enough money. If I was a millionaire I'd snap one without thinking twice, no matter if the GTR or any other car is faster at the ring or not, you don't buy a car just because it's fast at the ring.

Concerning the Top Gear lap time, I'm sure it would have been a lot faster if it was dry but as you saw, it was the fastest wet lap time...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Loved the LF-A but would rather have the whole range of Skylines plus a dedicated track GTR-35 and still have change for tyres

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
An awesome car but really messed up. Surely there would have been a great market for this at anything under £100k.

Nissan have prooved with the GTR that there is a market for 5000+ cars a year in the £60k bracket so surely there would be a good market for the LFA at the right price, production gets ramped up, economies of scale come into play and all of a sudden you have something you can make money out of. If they went on a cost cutting excercise, dropped the carbon and turned it into GTR money branding it as a new supra I'm sure it would be a real winner.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I thought the LF-A looked a bit pretentious - not one thing or the other.

I definitely think Toyota should re-launch the Supra with all the technology and right price.

·
6,821 Posts
It's a cracking car, period. IMO the reason it's getting stick is because it says Lexus on it. If it was built by some previously unknown manufacturer like Pagani or Koenigsegg then the price would have been justified?! Why? It would have had more "soul" ? :D Oh pleaaaaase!

If it's too expensive then it probably means that you don't have enough money. If I was a millionaire I'd snap one without thinking twice, no matter if the GTR or any other car is faster at the ring or not, you don't buy a car just because it's fast at the ring.

Concerning the Top Gear lap time, I'm sure it would have been a lot faster if it was dry but as you saw, it was the fastest wet lap time...
Agree 100%
Saw the LF-A two days ago in the Lexus Showroom here in nagoya . . . . I just say forget the GTR.
Do a little research about the LF-A and you will quick understand what materials it uses and what technology.
Then considering the claimed and probably true reliability of the thing . . . any other car on this planet looks like made by Lego.

The LF-A will still make engineers stun in 20years when they take the thing in to pieces . . . . where probably any other similar priced car will just make them laugh by then.

If I would have the money, this would be the thing to get, next to a Hakosuka.:smokin:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The LFA is "rented" for the first two years of ownership so as to dampen any speculators churning a quick buck out of it. Only 200 for the global market, i think they will be lucky to sell that many at those prices!! Makes the over valued Spec-V look like the bargain of the year

·
6,821 Posts
The LFA is "rented" for the first two years of ownership so as to dampen any speculators churning a quick buck out of it. Only 200 for the global market, i think they will be lucky to sell that many at those prices!! Makes the over valued Spec-V look like the bargain of the year
I read that Toyota got alone for japan over 600inquiries for the LF-A and that they are now seeing who gets one and who`s not . . . . so as mentioned before the price isn`t an issue at all, as it is not a mass production car like the GTR.
The Spec-V is truly overpriced as it doesn`t offer anything you can`t do on the car for less money.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Lovely car but it uses petrol. So hardly groundbreaking! What makes the Toyota engine any different to what we have already?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I read that Toyota got alone for japan over 600inquiries for the LF-A and that they are now seeing who gets one and who`s not . . . . so as mentioned before the price isn`t an issue at all, as it is not a mass production car like the GTR.
The Spec-V is truly overpriced as it doesn`t offer anything you can`t do on the car for less money.
I had an inquiry on the LFA with Lexus Park Lane, when they were suggesting a price of 80-120k then when they phoned back a couple of months ago to firm the order and take a deposit, they hinted to the hypercar price tag and i kindly jogged myself on!

I think if they sell to 10% of the inquirers then they have done well!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts