GTR Forum banner

LHD R32 GT-R

23K views 67 replies 25 participants last post by  sixoneonesix 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm from the Philippines and I just got a LHD R32 GT-R with some Nismo exterior bits and a modified exhaust (HKS Dragger). It's converted to LHD and is quite mechanically sound, but aesthetics wise, the interior is not what you could call "acceptable". The exterior though is pretty clean for a car this old.

Hopefully when the interior is presentable enough already, a single maybe T70 or T78 turbo would be fitted in along with some usual bolt-ons like fuel pump, E-Manage Ultimate, etc etc.... but that will take some time as some minor problems would have to be solved first.

The car is currently boosting 0.8 bar and honestly, I find it quite slow below 100kph. I don't know why, but many of my friends have told me that I should not expect much from a stock GT-R, as I had the impression that stock GT-Rs accelerate from 0-60mph quite quicker than Lancer Evos in very lightly tuned trim. Is this quite normal? I'm looking for that brutal punch my Evo makes from zero. But maybe it's just because the car is quite heavy (and old + tired I might add). But from 120kph onwards, it just feels so effortless for the car to climb all the way up to 200++kph.

Also, I greatly approve of this site as it has been useful in giving me information in this quite rare (at least here) car. More power to you guys and thanks for giving me the inspiration :)

See less See more
#15 ·
yes, some people have done it. they have installed LHD Cefiro dashboards and it fits nicely... but I'm leaning towards a new fabricated dash so the interior will still look like a proper Skyline :)

Doesn't look that bad. As for the dashboard in Skyline it's better to get someone make you a LHD reflection of a RHD one.
You got air circulation working right ? Seen a few LHD converstions made without air blower
If you got any info on your RHD->LHD swap I'll be happy to hear it. In my country you can't register a RHD car if it isn't at least 25 years old so I'll have to convert my if I want it to be road legal.
yup I'm still looking for options but I'm leaning towards the very talented boys here at Stage21. they export various bodykits to Japan.

I'll contact you as soon as the dash gets started. Maybe they can ship it out if mine comes out fine. And you'll get it for a lot cheaper too, as I have to pay for the fiberglass mold lol :flame:

All I can tell you now is that a LHD steering rack for a Cefiro was used, that's as far as my knowledge goes in the conversion at the moment. You can ask me questions if you want some more info then maybe I'll look into my car :)

1st mod should be the suspension!
tell me about it! :bawling:

as far as it feeling slow. I found that aswell but if you can bring it up to stage 1 tune it makes a world of differance....
yea, you can feel it in the engine... it seems that it can still produce more because at 280++hp, it still sounds quite asleep... I'm just wondering, when you say stage1, that includes a form of fuel controller right? because right now for the meantime, Im just planning a simple intake and exhaust (downpipe included + cat delete) and maybe a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate as I have more experience tuning with this piggyback computer. Plus, I can't afford right now a proper stand alone :bawling:

#10 ·
Doesn't look that bad. As for the dashboard in Skyline it's better to get someone make you a LHD reflection of a RHD one.
You got air circulation working right ? Seen a few LHD converstions made without air blower :D
If you got any info on your RHD->LHD swap I'll be happy to hear it. In my country you can't register a RHD car if it isn't at least 25 years old so I'll have to convert my if I want it to be road legal.

#19 ·
yea, you can feel it in the engine... it seems that it can still produce more because at 280++hp, it still sounds quite asleep... I'm just wondering, when you say stage1, that includes a form of fuel controller right? because right now for the meantime, Im just planning a simple intake and exhaust (downpipe included + cat delete) and maybe a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate as I have more experience tuning with this piggyback computer. Plus, I can't afford right now a proper stand alone

Stage 1 for me, full exhaust (cat delete and downpipes),boost controller, induction and mapping (in my case dastek unichip). Result 385 bhp and a world of difference from standard.

#21 ·
ohh okay. so basically, that's 33% more than stock. what an increase for a couple of mods! I'm used to little 4 cylinders producing little gains over simple bolt-ons... at what boost do you reckon the engine will be producing 380hp? thanks :)

im also from the philippines, i own a r32 gtr.. do you know of any places that can make a good lhd dashboard?
I asked Stage21 (an excellent fiberglass fabricator in Marcos Highway) what are the options, and he told me that he would mold the existing dashboard and adjust the imperfections on his fiberglass mold. I saw what he did on an S15 and it really looked like an original LHD vehicle.

this is their site although it is under construction:
STAGE21BODYKITS.COM

#23 · (Edited)
I know of a few LHD made R32's. AFAIK you can also use S14 and Z32 steering rack, Z32 being the best if you want to have Hicas, someone also told me it's got best steering ratio.
As for the dashboard I'll be happy with any info, I'm in no hurry.
I see in underhood pictures that you got turbos mounted in stock location. Could you try to get pics of the downpipes? Last time I looked it's pretty impossible to fit a nice downpipe there. Maybe Cefiro rack is somewhat different ?
I'm thinking about top mount manifold as I want mine to have somewhere in the region of 500-600hp. It would help in making some space for downpipes and rack.
Have you got a dyno graph of your car ? Maybe downpipes rob you some power... Remember a scandinavian LHD R32 which's owner said that with poor downpipes made to fit he lost about 60bhp.

#29 ·
just want to share some pics with you guys.

repaired some minor things here and there. changed spark plugs, fuel filter and air filters with some cheap sponge taiwan stuff. also removed the boost restrictor. now at .9 bar, car runs smoothly and has noticeably more power. :chuckle:

#30 ·
some updates on the skyline:

got HKS copy filters for $9 a piece , removed a part of the boost restrictor. now, it's boosting at 1.1 bar and it feels so much more alive than before... this time it really feels like GT-R should... and I just can't get enough of that smooth 6-cylinder sound!!!
also fixed some stuff at the engine bay, painted some things here and there, and put that funky JDM two-din radio back.

now thats what I call a key!!!

upgrades are at turtle's pace right now. will post updates as soon as they happen.

#33 · (Edited)
When you installed the boost controller, if it's a solenoid boost controller, removing the little brass restrictor in one of the two tubes that connects to it should have been part of your intall...

PS, @ Bulitt; Very nice LHD conversion. I'm also from Manila; Immigrated to the US and now have a RHD 32 GTR V Spec II.

#37 ·
Dude stock turbos @ 1.1bar won't last very long and i doubt the map is up to producing the correct settings for that boost pressure. Plus you'll need to look at a new fuel pump and other bits for it to run safely. Dash looks really neat for the LHD conversion. Needs a smaller wheel though, the stock one is like a bus steering wheel!!

#41 ·
some recent pics of the GT-R.

Had some parts of the body repainted to be shiny, buffed and detailed the whole car.

had a full 3 - inch exhaust + y-pipe done in place of the old, 3.5 to 2.5 to 3 to 2.5 inch one which was made out of household plumbing in some places...

after the exhaust upgrade, the car felt alot faster and more willing to rev in 1st and second gear, but felt weak and LEAN on 3rd gear up... so no full throttle runs on 3rd gear up as of now..

as of last week, the guy who sold us this GT-R had a spare Apexi Power FC with commander lying around in his house.. he sold us the unit + commander for US$550. Is that a good deal?

#42 · (Edited)
Your car is sky high. You sure you can't lower it a teeny bit? I know Manila roads aren't the most forgiving to aggressively lowered cars though. Still.. Neither are LA's. ;). That's a great deal on the FC as they're usually worth a grand out of box. And in response to previous post. No I haven't converted to LHD. So turning left, dropping passengers off and passing is a real pain, but I just deal with it.

#44 ·
some updates:

installed:
  • Zeal Coilovers (sold by a member here for a very good price)
  • Rota P45s
  • Nismo 260 kph speedometer
  • Apexi Turbo Timer

work done on it:
  • repaired minor rust spots
  • street tuned for 1.1bar giving 11s high rpm AFRs

hoping to install a Nismo clutch that's lying here for some time now along with an HKS head gasket.

here's some latest pics as of Sept 2009

#66 · (Edited)
Dude, I think your missing something. Where is the triple info meter that supposedly on the center console? The arrangement sholud like this- the triple meter, aircon controls and radio. It's important coz it displays the boost, battery voltage and oil. I have a friend that can get us a use nismo white face version of the triple meter if you want. Then let's put on instrument panel nismo version white face also w/ 330 km/hr speedo!! :D

How's the car? You said initially that it's quite slugigsh. Gonna bet my ass that it's faster than an evo on stock spec. But again maybe you are right about the age factor. w/c reminds me, have you seen an old best motoring vid where they featured the early 90s awd powerhouse GTR 32, Evo 3, and Sti all on stock spec? The BNR32 ate them up big time... I really mean BIG TIME! The Subie being the slowest of the bunch. But is the engine running in tiptop condition? And Imust warn you about those HKS/Greddy immitaion foam air filters... they have very poor filtration properties. You may end up having a very dirty RB26 internally!

I like the idea of the stage21 dash... hmmm. My Godzirra is very spoiled nowadays it's burning my wallet. :p After a 150k Nismo super coppermix twin, I am now waiting for a Nismo MAF sensors, a splitire Japan direct ignition coils, a reserve igniter, Nismo gauges, etc. etc. It's addictive! lol Is it a same situation to you? hehe.. What's your tire size by the way? Good luck tol on your project GT-R. Keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.