GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Sad as I am, I really like the green underside lights used in the Honda's in The Fast & the Furious. I'm guessing they are either illegal, prohibitively expensive or both in the UK?

·
Registered
381 Posts
yep totally illegal, not sure houw expensive they are though.

i think someone has some blue under car neons on here.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have blue under car neons...

and yes they are very Max Power, but then again so are 5" exhausts and Carlos Fandango wheels. :D :D

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
They're definitely illegal in England (sent my brother over a couple of neon sticks for his car, only lasted a week before the cops pulled him over!) The cops said that any unauthorized lights are illegal (whatever that means?) and that his was especially bad in that they were blue...

They're not that expensive, least not in Japan. Have heard they may be illegal here too, but I have been driving around with them for nearly a year now and never had any trouble.

I'm driving around with blue neons, but you can get green or pink (if ya so inclined!) You need to get reasonably powerful lamps otherwise the ambient lighting (street lamps) washes a lot of the effect away!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think each strip light costs between 30 for cheapies and 100 quid.

I believe that Max power sell them so check out the local ripmax polace as they tand to stock the max power stuff.

I also like neons. but then I like sunstrips too !!;)

/Steve

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
oh dear...

and I thought you were such a sensible Donny lad Simon:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
240 CAD. Is for a full kit here in Canada. I know their also illegal here however I guess police are too busy doing other things to be bothered to ticket them. However I have heard tickets being issued for...

1. Rim size too big.
2. Exhaust tip too large.
3. Vehicle too low.

All of them were thrown out of court of course, but I think the police are just tring to make extra cash. They get paid to make court apperances, where as for us it is just a plain nuisance.

·
Registered
381 Posts
they are illegal if you are driving with them on, but if your parked up and the actual tubes are out of site then its not illegal so i been told anyway.

·
Registered
520 Posts
To be honest, I only turn them on when I am pimping bitch ass. :D Kinda like the 'for hire' light on a taxi. :D :smokin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive been thinking about a set of these as i got a mate who sells em for £50 a set, still cant decide wether they are a bit biy racey for me or not.....

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
UK law states that so long as you can't see the lights themselves you can have whatever frikkin colour u want. Proper neons shouldn't be seen - only their glow should be seen. This is perfectly legal. So long as you take care fitting them and none of the neon can be seen from anywhere outside the vehicle then you should stand you ground if pulled. Not alot of coppers know this though so be prepared to politely advise them that the lights aren't visible - only their glow is - therefore you aren't breaking any laws.

Now that someone else has come out o9f the closet I'll stand up and be counted too - I quite like them and will be getting some blue neons for my silver R32 at some point. Quite unashamedly Barryish, I know, but I really don't give a fcuk what anyone else thinks.

Flashing blue neons - hmmm.. I think these ARE illegal, as the coppers can do you for impersonating a police officer (which is entirely subjective and doesn't involve highway laws therefore you can't say "But you can't see my lights directly..."

If you can find ultrabright LEDs in frosted polycarbonate tubes then they're much better than neons. Neon tubes break, wear out etc. LEDs on their own look very Battlestar Galactica when the road's wet as you can see the LEDs's reflection as lots of dots. You can buy LED strips in frosted polycarbonate casing (indistructible and the frosted bit means that the light is diffused and you have a more even glow to the strip than the individual LEDs would give).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got told similar, as long as the actual tubes werent visible....

Just found another set, LED, with loads of programmable modes and 7 different colours that it can rotate through as well as increasing/decreasing intesity, swapping from side to side/front to rear etc... they look pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I'm tempted by neons purely cos they're ALOT cheaper than LED kits...

If u don't like em u can always take em off and sell em to a chav. Ermm...not that I'm implying that we're chavs for wanting to fit them.

Oh bugger. I'll get me coat...

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
You can get neon kits for as little as £50. You need to make sure that you get a kit with two long tubes as well as two shorter ones, as many kits cater for Saxo/Corsas etc. which are alot shorter than Skylines, so making sure you get the longer tubes wil ensure that the "glow" extends the length of the car, rather than being a bright blip in the middle of the car like some sort of searchlight for roadkill...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats not bad, i found neons for £50 and the LED kit i mentioned for £100, but i should be able to get a dixcount on those prices.

Both have 2 x 24" and 2 x 48" tubes, will have to measure the car somewhen!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts