GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am rebuilding an rb26 that spun an oil pump. It sceased the exhaust cam journal. Other than that, it's in great condition. Can I line bore the head and just use it, or do i need to go shopping for a new one? Do they make a bearing that can be fitted in a cam tunnel?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, it depends on the damage that has been done. You can line bore it without any problem, but you need a good machinist!, line bore every cap individually. If the machinist can do it properly, you won't need any bearings. If says he needs to do it, better stay off from a bearing and the machinist ;), because that's not really the right way how to do it. But as i already said, it depends on the damage that has been done, we're talking about a few hundreds.

I'd recommend a new head instead of using a damaged one.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Never heard of a bearing for that. New Heads aren't that expensive from Nissan. You could get a good used Head for the money you would be spending on the old screwed one.

Marc

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I inline bored my cam journals without any issues. Cost £150.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thats quite cheap, how much did they took out?

@WvdB
How can you call boring each individual cap "line boring"? :p

Marc

·
Registered
81 Posts
@ Marc; Haha, yeah you're right. I was not very clear in that part :chairshot. I wanted to make clear that each cap will be bored, so not only the damaged one!

So as Stachi said, better buy a new one instead putting the money in fixing the old one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts