GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Am considering buying a GT-R to replace my current Audi RS4. Have read all the car reviews which suggests it's a fantastic car, but wanted to hear feedback from owners on all the things that the mags don't cover.

How comfortable is the car on long journeys? Have heard that it has very stiff suspension. (996 911 turbo I had was stiff but not a problem, would GT-R be similar?)

What's the gearbox like in real world conditions, ie. not "max attack mode" - how tricky is it to drive in stop/start traffic, 3 point turns, parking etc?

How's all round visibility in car?

What sort of fuel consumption are people managing?

Any MAJOR niggles to report?

I've seen a couple on the road but not close up, guess the next stop is a test drive. What are people's experiences with these, how long do you get in the car from an HPC?

Thanks,

Graham

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't use mine as a main car. However, in comfort mode the ride is fine. On the R settings its still much better than the old skyline. MPG has averaged 18/19. Parking sensors are a good idea as its hard to judge the corners.

The gearbox is fantastic in everyday road use. Only slight issues are pulling away smoothly until you get getting used to it and some reports of issues reversing on steep hills.

For the price the car is untouchable as a 2+2 with a decent boot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
people go on about the suspension ive driven over 3000 miles 500 of those miles in one day and dont think its particuly stiff

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

Hi,

Am considering buying a GT-R to replace my current Audi RS4. Have read all the car reviews which suggests it's a fantastic car, but wanted to hear feedback from owners on all the things that the mags don't cover.

How comfortable is the car on long journeys? Have heard that it has very stiff suspension. (996 911 turbo I had was stiff but not a problem, would GT-R be similar?)

Suspension is stiff, but the car is very comfortable for long journeys. I have driven 6,000 miles in 2.5 months and includes 600 miles in one journey (Geneva-Guildford) with only a stop for fuel and Eurotunnel. Got out feeling absolutely fine.

What's the gearbox like in real world conditions, ie. not "max attack mode" - how tricky is it to drive in stop/start traffic, 3 point turns, parking etc?

Really really good, I leave it in Auto most of the time. The only time it can be tricky is on very steep hill-starts.

Rear 3/4 visibility is poor, so some junctions can be a little tricky, the trick is to approach them as straight as possible.

Average around 20mpg

Just the oil servicing requirements if you drive the car the way it's designed and promoted.

I've seen a couple on the road but not close up, guess the next stop is a test drive. What are people's experiences with these, how long do you get in the car from an HPC?

Thanks,

Graham
Guy

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Living without GTR is far less fun the living with it.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Every day car

I'm now just over 3000 miles. I use the car most days and I must say its a dream. The car is comfortable reasonably good on fuel .goes like s**t off a shovel when needed . My last every day car was a Range Rover suoer charged and out of 14 months of ownership it spent 7 in the garage ?????. The GTR does what it says on the tin and then some . Bear in mind its road legal rocket and is not soft and does not roll but it is comfortable and a REAL pleasure to drive. I currently own an NSX and a Lister Jaguar and the NSX and the GTR are used every day by either me or the wife and I can honestly say the missus ain't complained about either yet!!!! Resukt all round ??

Steve

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I'm 6 months in, 4000 miles and use as a second car, based London.

Your Q's........................

A. Yep, it's firm but if feels appropriate in the car. I've done max 4 hour run in the car, complete with wife, baby and luggage/food for long weekend. Perfectly comfortable.

A. Stiff and clunky when cold, hesitates off the mark, problems reversing uphill, occasional odd behaviour from the software. It's set up for speed and devastingly good on the move... and at traffic lights.

A. Never had an issue with this

A. low 20's motorway, less elsewhere , but far better than you would have thought. However, apply beans and it is much less:D

A. None for me

A. Never drove at a dealers and a quick trawl round the board will show, some dealers getting much praise

Thanks,

·
Registered
108 Posts
So how much does it roughly cost to have this beast running smoothly for a year? Initial calculations comes close to £4000 per annum!!! I'm horrified with the 6 months service intervals at £800 a pop!!!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Servicing is 1k per year for the first 2 using figures given to my by JFE, I still haven't fully understood how using Specalists fair with warrenty/resale.

·
Registered
352 Posts

Definitely not an issue here. Better than my old EVO VIII, about the same as an EVO MR. Only thing to watch is potholes which can give you a real thump.

Gearbox is excellent. Very easy to drive in both manual and auto mode. Only issue for me is pulling of from standstill on a steep hill.

Poor for looking over your shoulder. You will need to rely on the mirrors for this which is not ideal, but as long as you think ahead its fine. Looking forward, no problem.

Poodling around town and short journeys 16-17. Motorway cruising, 22-25. Full throttle high revs, less. But unless you drive a lot on quiet roads it is difficult to use the full potential of the car. If you are lucky to have quiet roads and use the full potential of the car, then you are likely to get arrested!:eek:

For a car of this nature it is excellent. I use it as a daily driver and the only issue I have is size. It is quite a wide car and you have to be carefull on narrow country roads and parking. The front splitter sits quite low as well, so get used to reversing into spaces.
I suppose cost of servicing and spares prices are another issue. If you take the three yesar servicing package, it will cost about £110 per month. (excluding tyres and brakes) If you scrape something it's going to cost big time! However, you do have to weigh this up against the low base price for a car of this nature. Pretend in your mind that the car should really be costing at least 5k more, then put this asside for servicing.
If you want a raw driving experince with lots of noise like a tuned EVO then forget it. This car is max performance with an element of practicality.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
god, must be nice to have great performance (albeit not the psychotic power of the RB26 with big turbos), little lag....and a suspension that doesn't rearrange your internals with every road ripple and gas mileage that isn't in the single digits!!!! But then again, I found an R34 with Teins to be outright wallowy - different strokes for different folks I guess. I like my cars to feel and ride like a kart.

·
Registered
300 Posts
On hills, the "BOOK of TRUTH" says "use manual mode" ...do as THE BOOK ORDER

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Graham i came from an RS4 Avant great car but not in the same league this is a supercar for not "supercar" money RS4 - rubbish on track, GTR awesome ! easy to live with your granny could drive it!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I love the BOOK OF TRUTH!!!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

DO AS GOD NISSAN TELLS YOU!

On hills, the "BOOK of TRUTH" says "use manual mode" ...do as THE BOOK ORDER
No seriously, I use my car everyday, traffic, fast roads, just great, there's only one problem, no not parking,
my way to and from work has gotten a whole lot longer!;)

·
Registered
198 Posts
ive had mine for about 4 months now, never had a GTR before but have had a couple of cars around this price mark.

The car is exceptionally balanced for the size it is as it is alot bigger than first thought. The handling is the best i have come across and is alot better than the RS4 as i have owned one for about 7000 miles. The things that have annoyed me, I lost a tyre around 100 and found out it was around £500 for a front and around £600 for a rear. The brakes squeak very early and many other people have come accross this as i have found on the forums, abit of a joke for a car of such value. The warranty issue on the car is abit of a joke but i have heard is getting better in the E.U. Apart from some high running costs it is one of the biggest head turners on road and the appreciation on the road is great, rather than being called a "tosser" you get a smile or "whats the top speed in that". The shape of the car is amazing and i always find myself looking in shop windows trying to get a reflection of the car especially if i see a window in front of me at a T junction. On the M way where i drive mine the most between Norwich and London its between 16 to 25 miles to the gallon depending on how hard you drive it (16 is very hard). Regarding comfort its perfect in comfort mode on long journeys, you may be pulling forward and stretching your back after 2 hours but still one of the most comfotable in its range. Handsfree is absolutely shite. veiwing angles out of the car are perfect. Lastly and somthing i think Nissan should add is a beeping noise to tell you when to change gear if you set a limit to the revs which you can. You do get flashing LEDs but a noise would have been perfect if ripping through the gears.

If i had to balance the pros with the cons i would always buy this car over and over again as it is exceptionally balance and mega quick and regarding the running costs, hey you only live once i say go for it, youll love it and youll be always be looking for a excuse to drive it

hope this Helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts