GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a stage 4.25 2012 couple of years ago and loved it , sold it and spend a year looking for a replacement that wasnt 4 times as expensive ! ended up with a 991 turbo which i put full decat quicksilver on . lovely car and far more refined than the gtr but didnt find myself wanting to drive it that often as even with the exhaust it was just far too tame and civilized, great as a daily but lacked theater for a weekend fun car.

So im back looking for a car again temped with a gen 2 v10 plus but have also found myself once again looking at gtrs ! ive come across a lm1000 for sale low milage 2020 reg. First question is i dont want to have to be constantly tinkering and at the garage all the time if that makes sense so what is a lm1000 like in terms of daily drive ability and reliability and maintenance ? i would probs only do 4000 miles a year max .

Also in terms of pricing what does a lm1000 kit cost and what price do you think would be sensible for this vehicle ? a little put off at the fact its has 3 owners in a year ? also dont normally like buying cars that new as they still have a big hit to take depreciation wise. Will link the advert bellow :

·
Registered
335 Posts
Seems to have been a few highly tuned cars that owners have moved on in the first year or so. There's another thread that suggests the Litchfield engine warranty isn't transferable to a new owner which would be a concern. It must also have an upgraded gearbox. Not sure what the warranty position would be on that. Anything like this you should get the car inspected if you were thinking of buying it.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
1 year old, 3 owners and no transferrable engine warranty.............wouldn't bother if reliability/depreciation is an issue. It's probably a nice car but with that start in its life its going to be a struggle at retail.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Iv got an early Gtr ,low mileage 1000 hp,had it since October and so far broken down twice. Awaiting to be collected to Litchfields next week. Might be just unlucky as iv been told if the gearbox and engine have been built properly it should at that level still be very reliable.

Its abit like russian roulette i guess,you pays your money and take your chance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was quoted £31k to upgrade my my17 gtr from stage 4.25 to an LM1000. This includes gearbox upgrade and forged rods and pistons. In the end I have gone for the Litchfield LM1200 4.2l race engine amongst other upgrades as I came to the conclusion that the standard engine was at its limit at 1000bhp, whilst the race engine is good up to 1500bhp, so plenty of head room left.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was quoted £31k to upgrade my my17 gtr from stage 4.25 to an LM1000. This includes gearbox upgrade and forged rods and pistons. In the end I have gone for the Litchfield LM1200 4.2l race engine amongst other upgrades as I came to the conclusion that the standard engine was at its limit at 1000bhp, whilst the race engine is good up to 1500bhp, so plenty of head room left.
You managed to get a stroker, turbos, gearbox etc all done for £31k?

Seems too cheap.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
If depreciation and running costs are a concern better to invest in property.
I see these statements a lot. It's obviously true, but everyone places a different 'value' on their money, and some are happy to stomach more depreciation than others. You can still buy a sports car and take future depreciation into account when making a decision to buy a particular car, I just call it being smart with your money. Clearly I'm not as rich as some people though haha.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
How do you calculate it then?
Okay I'll humour you..

On a newly released car with no previous examples to refer to, fair enough it will largely be speculation, although you can still look at other models by that 'brand' and how they have faired. For example, most Aston Martins (With the exception of limited models) suffer from serious depreciation, therefore, if I had a quarter of a mil to spend, even if I loved a particular Aston model, I still wouldn't buy one new for fear of losing serious money over 12-18 months. Similar story with McLarens.

In the context of this thread, it's relatively easy to browse Autotrader and see how each model year has depreciated over time and make an informed decision on if you are okay with that. Same applies with other models from other brands. We all know GTR's are pretty steady, but as with most cars, buying brand new you will definitely lose more money than buying one that's 2-3 years old where someone else has taken the hit.

I get what you're saying, you can't let the prospect of losing money stop you enjoying the finer things in life. But equally just because he's mentioned a concern about depreciation, doesn't mean he should look elsewhere with his money. Saying that kinda feels like a flex to me.

·
Registered
26,123 Posts
Totally agree.

Thats what i did with my previous 35.

everyone's version of depreciation is different (ie value)

also so is taste

and if you modify it with crap stuff, then be prepared to take a hit

·
Vendor
2,872 Posts
Theres so many ways to produce large bhp cars, the build costs can be massively different

A billet block stroker on a aftermarket ecu with be £25k more expensive than a built motor on ecutek.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
property is actually what i do ha , as others have said im just never too keen on buying buys too new as there is still such a hit to take when you can find a 2 year old low mileage example in near new condition anyway , well the car has already sold so couldnt get it anyway . The search continues ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
It’ll end up at 50k by the time it’s had clutches and gear set and a hidden extras
I never went for that in the end, upped my game like I said and went for 4.2l race engine, g30-900 turbos and manifolds, built gearbox and increased capacity race intercooler, should be pretty quick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts