GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Using a race technology datalogger and connected one of it's analogue input to pin 56 on the ecu - which is the purple wire that outputs the tps to the ETS brain.

In consult it is showing 4v at WOT, but in the data logger it is showing 2.8v

BTW the logger itself is taking grnd from it's power source (the cigarette lighter circuit)

There was a time I thought I understood electronics, but the more I learn the more I realise I know sod all, so can someone suggest what I need to try to diganose and fix what's going wrong here?

Also I've tapped the signal wire for the dash rev counter, and put this into the data logger RPM trigger input, and I think I've got the "pulses per revolution" setup correctly - at least it looks close at idle - does 3 pulses per revolution sound right?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK it looks like pin 56 is indeed the TPS +ve output feed from the eccs ecu that goes to the ETS ecu, the manual says this should be 05.-4v but is reading .3-3v even with the logger not connected and just probing the pins (30is the -ve) at the eccs ecu. So I dont think it's my wiring or the logger. Odd though.

I don't think I want to tap the actual TPS input to the eccs ecu because this is a shielded cable (so nissan clearly are concerned about having a clean signal) and I don't want to put a metre of unshielded wire in the end of it and add a load of noise.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The TPS - ECU wire is only shielded under the bonnet. Splice in to it on the ECU. You will have no issues there.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
On the R33 looms I have the TPS is not really shielded. Not for electrical noise anyway.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, on the R32 it's shielded all the way to the ECU and the shield is grounded to one of the the "sensor grounds".

I've tested the voltage on the ATTESSA TPS feed wire and it seems unaffected by the tap for the data logger with the 0.3v to 3v range regardless of whether the tap is connected. So I'm figuring that's OK. And the 4wd seemed to work pretty well on Sunday with the tap in place, so I figure the ATTESSA is happy :)

The tacho RPM feed is still being a pain in the arse though - it is hilariously noisy - luckily the raw data can be treated in the software for sensible results (I can see my poor efforts at heel-toe downshifts) but the realtime data overlay the logger puts over the video is garbage for some reason. All good fun.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
All the more reason to buy a newer ECU and connect it to logger via cable :chuckle:

I have the Dash2 and DL1 logger and to be honest, I would not have entertained the notion if I was using stock ECU. Using a CAN or serial connection is far easier and is immune from interference. As long as the ECU is getting a good sensor signal then the same will be seen at logger.

I appreciate its not a cheap step to take but upgrading the stock ECU to something more modern brings a whole lot of extra benefits with it!!

TT

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Very easy to do on most loggers as they would have analogue inputs as well as an rpm input.

Alex what you really need is a brake pressure sensor one for the front circuit another for the rear.

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Alex what you really need is a brake pressure sensor one for the front circuit another for the rear.
:confused::confused:

Why would he need brake pressure sensors for logging TP and RPM???

TT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts