GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update on Specs..... A new location has now been installed on the M42 roadwork's leading up to the Belfry Junction. Jun 6 to 9 aprox.

They are positioned very discretely on the overhead gantries with a small blue plate behind them.

As yet unconfirmed by the UK SpeedTrap Guide, but seen by a
reader of the site.

Regards

Bruce

www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk for more infomation

·
Registered
506 Posts
Speed cameras

Bruce,

I popped up to Lancaster this weekend via the M6 and noticed a load of 'devices' at Birmingham between j6-10. Looks like a small camera with a small pair of rocket launchers each side with jagged roundish disks behind each 'rocket laucher':smokin: . Are these speed cameras? Or have the Police resorted to violence:eek: ?

Joviality aside, would like to know what I'm up against

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stu

Take a look at the www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk web site there is a load if pic's of all the Camra and Police speed stuff well worth a viset!

I get all me infomation from there and if you want you can sine up to get Emials of what is happening :D

would like to know what I'm up against I second that one Stu

:smokin:

·
Registered
211 Posts
How about people blowing the camera's up?
Here in the Netherlands we see some nice burned out camera's every now and then.
I'll post a picture soon.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would Like to see that!! soulds Like a good idear to me
How about this:

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
cameras with rocket launchers

I had a good read on the speedtraps web site, they think these cameras are for checking road-tax.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Bruce,

Thanx for all the info. Doesn't make for 'HAPPY' reading. I suggest everyone looks out for these wee beasts as they average your speed. I took the info below from the site info posted above. Keep your eyes open for the 'Rocket launcher'!

Speed Violation Detection Deterrent, SVDD is the digital brain which the SPECS system is based upon, is a state of the art video system with number plate recognition built in. Consisting of two Video cameras each fitted with Infra Red Illuminators. They are fitted at the roadside a set distance apart, on a SPECS column, on a bridge or any fixing point for that.

Linked together via computer they take an image of every vehicle that passes by, speeding or not. They then by number plate recognition pair up the images on the video of matching number plates and because each image has a date and time stamp, again readable by the computer. The computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras, and then will make a decision if the preset speed threshold is triggered.

If you have exceeded the set speed limit, this might not be the posted speed, but a speed higher than that. I.e. Posted is 70 mph, prosecution speed is 80 mph, then your vehicle will be flagged up by the computer that then gets the owner/driver details from the DVLA computer, and then automatically prints out a Notice of Intended Prosecution, NIP. (This can be automated)

This can either be done in an instant, i.e. the computer is linked from the roadside via optic fibre phone line to a central office or the information will be stored on disk for collection and processing at a later date.

So why is it different from a Gatso

Gatso's use film, the film runs out, and at the moment you have a 1 in 10 chance being caught by a Gatso. An officer has to go a collect the film, adjust the unit for speed, all adding up to extra cost they don't want.
SPECS has no film to run out, operators have to make less journeys to the site and it takes a picture of the front of the vehicle, allowing them to identify the driver if needed. It has no flash, and is much harder to spot, Radar detectors don't detect it. A company called Speedcheck will be operating the systems, freeing Police officers to catch real criminals, the only good idea about this whole system.

Gatso cameras promote 'Surfing' the art of slowing down in the trap zone and speeding up outside the trap zone. A dangerous pastime, which should be left to the dudes on the beaches of Cornwall.

SPECS on the other hand overcomes this problem, by averaging your speed between the two cameras. For example.. Go past the first camera at 70 mph, speed up to 90 mph, slow down to 70 mph for the second camera and 'hey presto' you have just averaged 80 mph, but in a real world it won't happen like that.

You may not see the camera at all and just blast past at 90 mph or you might only see the second one. Most drivers can't even see a fully liveried Police car until they are about to get in the boot of it, so how are they going to see a small camera on a gantry.

Either way if you speed you stand a high chance of getting a NIP or a warning in the post when this system gets installed around the UK.

:(

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tee he he!!!

whilst on the subject of speed cameras, has anyone been up the A40 recently between Oxford and Gloucester?????
A truly delightful sight to behold
Drove up about a month ago. There must be about 12 to 15 Gatso's in each direction over the 40 or so mile stretch........EVERY single one had been vandelised, most had been either tipped downwards, to flash speeding ants, or tipped upwards to flash speeding tit's (thats BLUEtits of course.).
The best "Gatso death" was just outside Cheltenham. It had been knocked down completely, driven over repeatedly by a tractor (squashed into the ground with tractor tyre marks all over and around it), and then for good measure set on fire, as it was blackened and rusty.
Take that you aurthoritarian oligarchy mascarading as law enforcement in the peoples republic of Oxfordshire and Gloucestershire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks to me to be the work of local farmers etc, ....as if they hadn't got enough to deal with at present,
so a big Hooray for them if they did it, and a boo hisss to the two respective councils and p/forces
......I'm not anti speed enforcemrnt if its done correctly, ie in town centres, outside schools, hospitals and at GENUINE accident blackspots. But to generate revenue on clear straight A roads and dual caridgeways is out of order...........remember folks its not speed that kills, but the improper use of it.
Oh and BTW the gov't own figures prove that less than 4% of road fatalities can be directly contributable to speed!!!!!!!(no wonder they wern't published and the gov't chooses to ignore the study)
I rest my case for the defense your honour
regards
Soapbox wroestar
Ps/ sorry everyone I don't know what came over me, every now and then I go off on one
:eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts