GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

Just to give you a quick background check, I have a few cars , i currently own a Audi Q7, C 250 Merc, EVO 8 MR (750bhp) and was looking to get a Gallardo.

Things have come up and I went for head over heart for the time being and need something to bridge the gap for a year or possible 2 as i still have a itch for a car.

I came across the GTR always been in to my jap cars and do like the GTR. My concerns are this. I have heard nothing but problems with the transmission on these cars and people paying £15k to replace them. Also came across this link recently which it wont let me post but if you type GTR in google its one of the paid links i believe its actually the first link called TRUTH ABOUT GTR - Great Terrible Reliability

I have heard in the 2013 option this problem has been fixed, is this correct? If this is correct I then assume not to even touch cars pre 2013? If this is true my problem is i see the deprection on these cars and it seems pretty rapid so wouldnt want to buy a 2013 till at least mid 2015. So basically can you get a pre 2013 car thats not going to give you any drama or will they all give you drama and just wait for the post 2013 models.

Also is there a common mileage range or a clear sign to avoid buying one thats pre 2013? Does the transmission tend to fail around the same kind of mileage? Is it consistant?

I drive moderate to hard, would probably do around 5-8k miles a year.

Also a completely different question, what is involved as a stage 1 upgrade, what kind of gains do you get, and how much does it usually cost. Im assuming litchfields is the place to go ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'll answer your question as bluntly and as honestly as I can.

I have a 59 plate black edition. Owned her for 12 months, totally stock except a y-pipe and alcon brakes.
I drive her hard and use her daily. 16000miles when I got her.
coming up to 32000 now. Full NHPC History. The car has been tracked too.

The only problem I've had is a battery drain because the stereo wasn't turning off properly.

my advice would be ..... if you want a GT-R

BUY A STOCK ONE WITH GOOD HISTORY
dealer/indy.

GET IT CHECKED BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT IS WHAT.

I bought mine privately from someone who loved the car....I got a good one.

good luck with the purchase..... if you do it

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If you do buy pre 2013, get the gearbox strengthing done, circlips, piston stoppers etc etc.

My gearbox went within the first week of buying the car, got replaced on extended warranty, I was so damn lucky.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
No reliability problems what so ever, besides the following common problems:

Condensation in headlights £££'s
Multi Function Display ££££'s
Head unit ££££'s
Gearbox shift fork/solenoids etc £££'s to ££££'s
Dash Cluster £££'s
Front Speakers blown (Water ingress due to poor seals) £££'s
Bell Housing £££'s (Perm fix available through Litcho)

Super reliable as you can see, oh and Nissan Extended warranty for a few of the items above is worthless as shit.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
If you do buy pre 2013, get the gearbox strengthing done, circlips, piston stoppers etc etc.

My gearbox went within the first week of buying the car, got replaced on extended warranty, I was so damn lucky.
Circlips are overkill for stage 2 and less. The rest should be done yearly me thinks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm no mechanic Adnank, so am sure your right, all I know is my new box all come pre-built with this and was told my first box could have been saved with these additions I now stress to every potential buyer and current owners to GET IT DONE!!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I've had my '59 plate for four years. Only thing I CHOSE to have done was the bellhousing through Litchfield. Nissan did replace it under warranty but all they do is replace it with the same design - pointless. Litchfield one sorts the problem full stop.

No other problems whatsoever.

I think it's a great car and the best I've ever owned. Look after it and it will see you good.

Don't believe all that you read. Just make sure you're sensible and do your homework before buying the car.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
So I have one of the oldest GTR's in the UK, owned from new

I needed the bell housing replaced and the TM solenoids cleaning

the misty headlights went away on a hot day

battery replaced, hey its 6 years old

yes last few years I've not done so many miles, I think they are more reliable than a evo and mine is tuned.

regular servicing by Litchfield seems to keep it good
R

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Don't feed the troll

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi,

First, the GTR isn't any Jap car, its Godzilla. :chuckle:
Second, if you buy anything with a warranty, you have ZERO problems as everything is covered.
Third, what are you waiting for, go look for one :chuckle: Bargain supercar of the century.

Happy hunting.

P.S. Gallardo's are pure pose (I had a LP570 superleggera), but in terms of usability, its a 3rd 4th car, not the best thing as a regular daily driver. I sold mine as the prices were falling due to the Huracan arriving and its in-mobility (used once every few months).

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Don't mention Gallardo, I had a fling with one, second day a bolt sheered off causing a monumental oil leak, then when I got it back the roof broke, and got caught half open flaps up, disaster.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't mention Gallardo, I had a fling with one, second day a bolt sheered off causing a monumental oil leak, then when I got it back the roof broke, and got caught half open flaps up, disaster.
mine was very reliable, but collected dust more than miles. I'm looking forward to the R36. :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm hoping for the public release of the FT-1 now that really does float my boat and a few other articles one of which being down my pants :p

·
Registered
155 Posts
For me when it comes to the rising sun cars, I'm Godzilla all the way. Although I must say the FT-1 looks the balls. :chuckle:

Torque fill is the catch word for me regarding the R36. :flame:

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Gearboxes do go wrong. That's true - but it's not that often.

£15k bills are probably accurate if you insist on relying on nissan outside warranty.

The fear came from the cars that had nissan replace their boxes under warranty because that's all they are allowed/capable of doing. Along with that is an invoice for parts that they have replaced totally often more than £20k.

In 99.9% of these cases, an independent can fix them for at most £1500 and often free to £150. Typically it's a solenoid issue. I know of several cases where a nissan HPC prescribed a replacement and Litchfield fixed it with a 30 second software reboot.

If you are that terrified, you can get the Litchfield warranty for £1000 a year, and not worry about it or most other potential failings.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a main dealer warranty, especially at the price.

I also wouldn't listen to scare mongering about buying modified cars. If done by a reputable dealer, please feel free to check on here what a reputable dealer means, you should be completely fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Everyone thank you so much for your info, very good owners club this is indeed. Quick information and to the point nice and blunt.

One question that i didnt quite get answered then is do we agree that 2013 models + havea refined transmission and are lot more "safer / less risk"

If i did go for a pre 2013 what kind of price is it to get the transmission strengthend?

In all honesty id rather by a tuned GTR only reason being is ive kind of learnt that its better to buy a ready to go package rather than one you do yourself anyway, as long as its done by a reptuable company.

I know of litchfields what are the other main ones, just so that im aware if i decide to purchase it

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Speak to Andy Clarke of AC Speedtech in Warrington or Ian Litchfield of Litchfield Motors in Tewkesbury regarding the 'box strengthening but you're talking around about £1k, give or take.

MY13 cars (apparently as I have a MY09) have upgrades that some say are worth it but I don't know how much of a difference it makes any longer if you're buying a modified car tbh

You have to remember that you will read threads like "my GTRs has broken" but you don't often read threads like "my GTR has no issues" ... You can substitute GTR for any car (NO car is unbreakable) but it will be the same and is always negatively skewed, as with most things in life :thumbsup:

[That's the second time I've posted pretty much the same thing today???]

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
If you get yourself an older GTR and save yourself a fair bit on the initial purchase price compared to a 2013 then you could easily get the gearbox "uprated" I would guess.

-Circlips
-Piston caps
-Gear stoppers
-Stronger magnets
-Solenoid clean
-Fresh oil
-Updated software

With that little lot done I guess you'll have some peace of mind. I'd get in touch with the likes of Litchfield, AC Speedtech and SVM to get an idea on price for carrying out the work.

Although saying that, there's probably more cars that don't have faults than there are that do. You could also go for an after market warranty too I guess but find out about the warranties available and on what cars they're available for before buying the car

1 - 20 of 38 Posts