GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying a GT-R and have some questions that I hope I can get help with here.

My background: I'm most recently coming from a 911 2S which I never warmed to, it lacked power and character -especially compared to my previous car which was a 430 spider. The 430 on the other had had loads of character and I loved it 90% of the time, amazing engine sound and very nimble in the bends. However a few shocking service bills and the never ending attention made me sell it a year ago. I still miss that car a lot and hope that a GT-R can be a good replacement by being both faster and more reliable. I've yet to drive a GT-R, had booked a demonstrator yesterday but when I arrived at the dealer they informed me that they'd sold it -very unimpressed by the sales guy not having the decency to inform me. But did sit in one and really liked the driving environment -it's much more driver focused than both the 911 and 430 if that makes sense.

Anyway, a few questions:

- it would be great to hear from anyone else who's gone from 430 to GT-R, what do you like / miss? I know my old spider is a very different car but how about engine responsiveness and corner turn in, both of which I thought were great in the 430

- how do the model years work? I've tried to work it out and I suspect that the US add one year so a car built in March 2011 is MY2011 in UK and MY2012 in the US? Very confusing...

- I want it to sound good, if I add a y-pipe or full exhaust will that be ok without a new map? If I go for a car with remaining warranty I presume any changes to the ecu will void it.

I've tried to boil down my options and find the best bang for buck. Here's what I think my options are, it would be great to get some feedback on which you'd go for:

- around £40k, take it to Litchfield or Middlehurst and get their warranty (are those warranties good value?), remap it to around 550bhp, and potentially change suspension for more comfort

- biggest facelift? looks like they go for around £48k but will be out of warranty very soon which makes me think 2012 or 2010 are better options

- not much more expensive than 2011, seen some for £52k. Has another year of warranty

2013 demonstrator
- would you buy an ex demonstrator? I've seen them go for around 60k with <3k miles, but this is significantly more than the 2012's go for...

Any thoughts on expected depreciation over the next few years?

Can't wait to drive one, will try another demonstrator some time this coming week and hope it will live up to my expectations :)

thanks!
Fred

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If you go to the likes of Litchfield the warranty from them will cover any mods that are done by them.

A full exhaust system will require a remap, not only for engine safety but to make sure you get the most out of the mod. I recommend Russ fellows, his exhaust sounds awesome but hs the added benefit of no drone on the motorway.

It'll kick off a big debate probably but changing from the run flat tyres to non run flat will improve the comfort and wet performance of the car. Maybe be a good first call before going down the suspension route, but then again I've heard nothin but good things about Litchfields suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I had an f430 at the same time. 2 weeks and sold it. Crappy crappy gearbox compared to the gtr so never drove it. Plus the gtr made it look stupid in a straight line and bends.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Ive seen how bristol nissan drive theirs from cold. Id never buy one from them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an f430 at the same time. 2 weeks and sold it. Crappy crappy gearbox compared to the gtr so never drove it. Plus the gtr made it look stupid in a straight line and bends.
:) like the sound of this, the 430 is by far the quickest road car I've driven -it's hard to imagine anything making it look stupid. Feels like I'm in for some exciting times :D

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
My car on the vbox can do 0-100 in 5.4. What is the f430 again?....

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
And you can launch the gtr all day long. The f430 is 6 launches then. £3k new clutch :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And you can launch the gtr all day long. The f430 is 6 launches then. £3k new clutch :)
Yeah, I had it for three years and never once used the LC.

What I don't understand is why some gtr adds make the point of claiming "never used launch"? I know the early versions had issues with the transmission and LC1, are there mechanical differences vs later model years that mean that one shouldn't use launch in an 09 or 10 even if they have upgraded software?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I launched my MY10 a good few times as standards without issues.

And since going to stage 4 I've dons it even more, before the recent map and ecutek updates I managed a best of 3.2 0-60 and 6.7 0-100.

·
Registered
626 Posts
With regards to launch control.... ive launched my 59 plate totally stock car loads of times. No issues at all. However the previous owner has had the bell housing etc replaced under warranty.

I would suggest you buy one from an enthusiastic owner. Who has looked after it. Warmed it up cooled it down etc. You never know who's driven it when its come off a forecourt. I know you cant tar them all but I saw a few "dogs" before I settled for the one I own.

good luck in your search.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You never know who's driven it when its come off a forecourt. I know you cant tar them all but I saw a few "dogs" before I settled for the one I own.
This is what makes me worried about buying an older car. What made them feel like dogs?
I guess an inspection by a GTR expert is the only way to get some reassurance but it does make me think I should go for a recent model with few miles and one owner... but then there is the potential 20k saving of going 2010 instead of near new 13, difficult decisions...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I agree... buying a used car, let alone a super car can be a worrying thing!
This is why i'll be taking any GTR i'm looking to purchase to Litchfield for an inspection & ECU reading for oil temps etc, before I part with my cash!

I'll be looking at MY10 GTRs in the next month or two & getting Litchfield's warranty:thumbsup:

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have a 2012 demo car.. Bought it at 3,500 miles and it hasn't missed a beat :)

Got the car tuned at Litchfields to stage 1 after 3 weeks of owning it lol and taken it to the track with no problems..

If you do go for a demo car, just make sure to look at all the common issues and spot them before buying.. My GTR had a cracked front splitter which the dealer sorted out and the bellhousing was on its way out.. Other than that im more than happy with my purchase..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How does a MY2010 that's been mapped to around 550bhp compare to a MY2012/13? Are there noticable differences in cabin quality, computer system (is that the same software?), brakes, suspension and gearbox?

·
Registered
644 Posts
In all honesty, it mostly depends on how well the car has been maintained.. Ofcourse, looking at an older 2010 model there will be some wear and tear, but really depends on how the owner treated it, in terms of cabin quality, brakes, suspension and gearbox..

The software will be significantly dated, depending on when the owner got it mapped to 550bhp.. However it is highly highly recommended you get it re-mapped at a proper place like Litchfields or SVM once you get it..

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bought mine in july 2013. 59 plate 16500 miles one owner full NHPC history. Imaculate condition bar a few front end chips (UK roads.... get them on any car)

The cars are out there, my advice would be get an older low mileage one. You're not going to lose money on it. Get the gearbox software upgraded and a stage 1 remap and you have what I would say a 2011+ car.

Unless you're like some of the mentalists on this forum who are stage 4 and then some ha ha ha ha.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought mine in july 2013. 59 plate 16500 miles one owner full NHPC history. Imaculate condition bar a few front end chips (UK roads.... get them on any car)

The cars are out there, my advice would be get an older low mileage one. You're not going to lose money on it. Get the gearbox software upgraded and a stage 1 remap and you have what I would say a 2011+ car.

Unless you're like some of the mentalists on this forum who are stage 4 and then some ha ha ha ha.
Thanks, what you're suggesting makes sense.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts