GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase an R33 but I have a low budget and I know for £5k the one I will pick up will need some work which I am more than happy to do and I do have around £200 to £500 a month I can spend on repairs and subtle upgrades.

I do have a couple of questions.

1st what should I be looking out for? ie where is rust most likely to appear whats noises should I listen for ect.

Like I said I know I wont get a mint condition but I need something I can drive and can replace parts at the weekends.

Now I do need one with a rear middle seat belt and some I have seen have these and other don't. Is there a specific model or is it just people removing these. I would need to ferry the kids around once in a blue mood which is why I need the 5 seats.

Now my past is varied from Polo's to Civic's and Jag's to Subaru's and I have taken most apart and put other parts on so I consider myself fairly handy with a spanner.

My current car is a Mitsubishi FTO GPX which will be getting sold to help the funds for the replacement.

I'm in no rush to buy one as I dont get the fund till the start of August so I'm doing some research now to see what's best to avoid or things to look out for.

Thanks in advance for the info guys

I'm also up in Aberdeen so I am probably a fair way away from most of yous.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm no big expert on cars but I am good with numbers
Your best bet would be to wait another year,gather up that 500
A month and put it with your 5 grand and buy a good car at 10-11k
Because they won't appreciate that much In a Year but
You would just get a basket case for 5 k and you'd spend 10k
Or more making it look half decent

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tabz if only the wife would let me have another 2k then I would.

I don't mind spending money on a car as it gives me something to work on at the weekends but I do like a challenge. The wife gave me £700 to get a car just to get me 2 and from work till we sold the flat and I came home with the FTO she I thought was a really good price and its done me good for almost a year now I would keep it but I doesn't have the 5 seat belt.

I know £5k wont buy me a brilliant car as long as I can drive it to and from work and fix it as I go if people can help me by telling me what to avoid or look out for and with the wife going on maternity leave in 6 weeks I can use her car for work so I can get one that can site for a couple of months till things are done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I'm honest as long as it looks like a GTR I would be happy but I would buy a GTS-T. I'm not up on the models and what each on has so i'm on here to do some research and ask for advice before I look at buying.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
An R33 GTR for £5k!? Surely they aren't that price now!? No wonder my DC5 isn't selling.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
If I'm honest as long as it looks like a GTR I would be happy but I would buy a GTS-T. I'm not up on the models and what each on has so i'm on here to do some research and ask for advice before I look at buying.
Its a 2.5L turbo model RWD.

Save up around £3-4k more and buy a good R33 GTR, the wait will be worth it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would but the wife wont let me wait that long she will spend the money on something else. As long as she things if 4wd then shes happy i wont tell her if you dont lol

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You wont get a GTR for 5k, if you do, it will be ****ed. **Sounds like you need a new wife.

** This is a joke.

·
Registered
268 Posts
gtst's have 5 belts, £5k would get a decent gtst, any gtr for £5k will be totally foooked!!
Torque GT in Devon have got a nice fresh import r34 gtt tiptronic for £5.5k.

you could easily import one your self....
simples....with Tradecarview.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thing is she would take too much and I wouldn't be able to buy one lol.

I am looking to buy one in need of work and if it needs to be transported up to get some work done before she can go in the road so be it. My sister works for an accident repair centre and they can do the cosmetic work for me and some of the mechanical that I can't manage. I mean as long a rust isn't too bad or the chassis isn't twisted too bad then I will consider it.

I mean no offence when I say I would like to build one to my spec not buy one that's someone else's spec and leave it at that. I know for more money I could get a really nice one and I have seen a few that are around the £7k mark need very little to make them a sorted example but I like something that some people would walk away from kind of like an underdog.

Granted I won't have funds ready available to buy the parts needed straight away but with some planning one the one I get I can get her rolling and on the road then I can start sorting out the personal spec on the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not but I do know about 5 or 6 who have been doing for over 20 years so I would say I have that covered lol

·
Registered
633 Posts
I know absolutey nothing about cars, but after reading on here about many cases of rusty turret tops on 33s and 34s and also inner sills on even the higher priced ones. the rust on 32s is normally rear wings, not too difficult to cure. You get what you pay for. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I know absolutey nothing about cars, but after reading on here about many cases of rusty turret tops on 33s and 34s and also inner sills on even the higher priced ones. the rust on 32s is normally rear wings, not too difficult to cure. You get what you pay for. Buyer beware.
R32's rust in more places than just the rear arches

1 - 20 of 40 Posts