GTR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start this off by saying prepare forthe worse...

1990 BNR32

Loom in question is 24042-05U00 & the triple gauge pigtail

Background:

Picked up a car through NewEra (excellent car minor issues to be had but its a 24 years old car so no worries..)

Decided to upgrade the stereo (minor I know) but I get a rude awakening. I removed the stereo fascia simply unplug the stereo harnesss and thats when I notice some fishy business going on behind it. There was close to a 1/2 meter of extend hand twisted wire just chilling in the back.. Surely Nissan did not decide that was the best route, so I removed the Climate Control and Triple gauge and then my horror story begins. With the key simply in ACC to make sure I had not jostled anything, I hear a sizzle. Immediately take the key out and start to slowly pull out this mess : (cant post the links due to post count I guess I can PM them if anyone needs a visual)

Shitty thing is those Zipties are my attempt to trace the correct wire to where it has been spiced with a new one of a different color coding.. Id attempt to look at the wiring schematic but there are 4 ignition leads if Im reading it right and then the Triple gauge pigtail has three of the same color coded wires...

The question of the hour is are there any wiring guru's who can help me trace out this problem or will I be buying a new subharness?

Thank you for any help in advance!

(Just so Im clear - This is not a problem handed down by NewEra imports, they were great at sourcing the car/awesome to deal with/and I highly recommend them!)

·
Registered
160 Posts
OK, I know it is too late now, but before you start messing with the wiring on a car disconnect the ground at the battery, and put clear of the negative post. It can save you a car fire, after this event I would do it now. You need a simple multimeter set on the Ohm range, and start tracing wires and see what is intact and what isn't. This isn't going to be a fun or quick job, but take your time and you might be able to sort it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That area is where the worst amateur wiring is always found.
The Nissan cabling is pretty tight, not a lot of length to plug in the various items well clear.
And this area is where immobilisers/alarm units are often mounted/shoved in behind the stereo so there's active wires no matter what position the IGN key.
Some owners don't buy the patch harness when fitting an aftermarket stereo, instead they cut and hack into the Nissan wiring.
It can be a nightmare and if wires have started melting, I'd be sourcing a new or tidy second hand harness.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Japanese guys and wiring is a very common fault. I still have a box of redundant wiring which I have remvoed from the car over time.

They seem to love 'stotch locks' and other beastly nastiness. Best bet is toslowly remove it and made good what's left.

Sometimes the best bet is to remove the bare wires and reconnect them with good new bullet connectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Received my subharness for the AC unit (works fine), triple gauge is not plugged into anything and the dash cluster still does not work properly and the car shuts off in 15 seconds.. WTF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts