GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Not had the GTR for very long...about 2 months but after a long drive to cornwall and back over christmas (it was serviced just before I went) it has started to loose boost pressure. When I first got it, the digital read out on the boost controller was 1.2bar with it peaking/spiking just above that however now it struggles to get 1 bar and with that, high revs are starting to become a bit sluggish in comparison to before. I've checked all pipe work and the engine still runs perfectly as far as I can tell so I'm lost.
Any ideas anyone PLEASE.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another day of searching today and still nothing obvious found. I can only imagine I have a leak somewhere but I have no way of keeping it under load whilst searching for the leak :mad:

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Sounds like a small air leak between the turbos and the intake manifold. This would let it run off boost perfectly well, and give you some power when needed. Just not getting to full as the pressurised air is escaping, the more boost you push through it.
Only my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Just thought.
Wrap all the pipes in cling film (tightly) & see if it makes any difference.
Then remove the bits of film bit at a time & run it, till you find where the leak is.
Maybe then heatseal the leak, or a new pipe.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL. Fair enough. Point taken. My only other though would be the temerature and the cling film melting making a horrible mess.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi Phil,

Good to see you got a GTR in the end.. Ill no doubt be having a few trips down to coningsby to sort out the WSSR rig for Typhoon in the future. Will have to check out your car. In the mean time following on from stan(ian at night!) its difficult to do but have a good look around the exhaust manifold gasket between the head and the exhaust piping looking for black sooty marks which would indicate exhust gases escaping somewhere. Can also try a hosepipe approach or stethoscopes if you know a doctor. basically use a small bore piece of pipe and move it around the exhaust hanifold with the engine warm and if you start to hear a hissing noise in the pipe (like air escaping) then thats where there could be a leak. Try this too where the turbos bolt to the exhust downpipes could be blowing there.

Also maybe look on the powerfc if you have one and look at what the 02 sensors are seeing in the etc menu sensor check. I cant remember which way round it is now but i think on a tuned engine (which would run slightly rich on boost) they should say 0.00v so if there is gases escaping before the lambdas it *may* register as running leaner than it actually is and show some voltage on the 02 sensor. Shouldn't be hurting your engine as most tuners turn off the 02 sensor feedback anyway.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL, knowing their reputation, I'm sure it won't be long til you have to come down:chuckle:
I see what you mean with the pipe but as I said, I've only noticed a difference when its under considerable load so I'm not sure if its enough to show any problems at idle/off load.
As for the powerfc......what is it? LOL, please excuse my ignorance but I'm still learning slowly.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ahh, ECU then. Yeah it does an aftermarket ecu and has been set up VERY well but it is a Tomei Reytec airflowless ECU Its only since the recent boost loss that 've had ANY problems what so ever.
Any idea if this would have the same info available on it?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.