GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been havig a problem with my r33 gtr for a while, with smoking.
heres a brief spec

gt2865rs turbos
700cc injectors.
apexi fc and boost controller, and hand controler.
usual big intercooler ect.
tommie cams
1.4ish bar boost.

all was honky dorry for a couple of years. but for the last 6 months its been smoking like a desile , thick black smoke, when its cold its easily visible just from blipping the throttle.

once warmed up its odd. ive had it on a wide band and it sits totally solid at 12;1 so i thought that was bang on.
the bloke whos wide band it was said from the read out it was a bit rich, as in 14;1 were hed expect it to be 15;1 this was pretty much through out on part boost and low rev driving.

he reckoned this would not be enough to make it smoke like it does., im talking plumes of smoke.

its been back and remapped a couple times, smoke goes away for couple weeks then returns.

is there any sensors which could be playing silly bugers causing this. its got z32 airflow meters.

its really starting to disharten me as great car, looks like a diesle.

thanks in advanced,
smoke is less when car is warm and weather is cold

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Fuel pressure problems? Regulator playing up or tank return line obstructed. AFM playing up. Water temp sensor playing up. Mapping corrupted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive been told o2 sensor only runs open loop and on part throttle till about 3k then reads of map and air flow meters.
ive read that there was a batch of faulty z32 afms, any one now about these?

its still on a standard fuel pressure regulator, this is what i though straight away had gone. need to check pressure.
the water temp read outs on the gauge and apexi controller are spot on, is there a seperate water temp sensor for the ecu?

how would i check if the return line is blocked ???

ta

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
O2 sensor only reads idle and cruise throttle. ECU reads off different sensor to gausge, Apexi water temp readout is from ecu sensor. Stock FPR is far more reliable than 90% of aftermarket stuff, but could still be iffy.

Blocked return will show as abnormal fuel pressure, especially with engine idling. You need a fuel pressure gauge in the line and see if it gives incorrect readings when it smokes.

The Apexi PFC gives voltage output from the AFM, so you can monitor that on the hand controller.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ive been told o2 sensor only runs open loop and on part throttle till about 3k then reads of map and air flow meters.
ive read that there was a batch of faulty z32 afms, any one now about these?

how would i check if the return line is blocked ???

ta
What you've been told about o2 sensor is true.

Check your return line by disconnecting it from the tank and putting it in a bucket.

·
Registered
31 Posts
when start you car go smoke after while or when just start it smoke

when you start you car it's open loop thats mean o2 it's not start work yet after while gone to closed loop o2 worked

get AFR guage cheak the afr it's best

on my car at idle 12.8 to 13.5 and no smoke
on your car may be more rich of not rich change the plugs some time plugs when get rich for longtime go bad and not spark vary good

of course cheak fuel pressure first may be get high pressure = more fuel
normal is 45 psi at idle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts