GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Everytime I start my 32gtr it has pressure around 5/6 which is good this then drops down to about 3/4 for normal driving recently it has been dropping down to about 2 after 30mins of driving though. Then yesterday I left it at my mates house all day. When I picked it up it was fine at 5ish on the gauge...drove home (15miles ish) and after about 30mins I did some 'spirited' driving and ended up in a traffic jam

Well whilst sitting in this jam and it was a bad one for about 20mins...on and off the clutch trickling forward it actually dropped right down and was practically reading 0. It would go up slightly towards 1 as I moved and once out of the traffic it rose to between 1 and 2. This morning it was it's normal 5 on startup and had dropped to 4 after 10mins of driving then 2 after 30mins when I reached work.

However this is striking me as being real low. It is due an oil change so could this be the reason or could it have been my spirited driving followed by a nasty traffic jam ?

Cheers
Adam

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The fact it hits 6 bar from cold hopefully indicates it's merely a faulty oil pressure sender (a common problem) rather than anything more serious, but to be safe I wouldn't drive it around until you get a new sender put on.

Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Erm it does rise a bit if I drive it a bit harder.... ??

Also I have had a small oil leak for quite a while now...this may be relevant ?

Cheers

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oil pump pressure plate screws backing off is also a common fault, leading to loss of oil pressure. Only fix is engine out, new oil pump...........been there, done that :( My oil pressure would only reach 32 psi max @ 6000 rpm, sat at 24 psi @ idle, hot or cold, initially I thought, sh4gged sender unit but no................:eek: ............. (checked with a gauge into the sender port). This to me seemed strange, as a failing pump would usually run higher pressure on cold oil and with that type of internal leakage would heat the oil very quickly and run high oil temp. My oil temp very rarely rose above 80 c.......... Hmmm, oh well.

New N1 pump, all sorted.

Be careful and have somone check i with a gauge, or even fit a mechanical gauge as a back-up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was gonna buy a new N1 oil pump anyway can get one for £180. How much did you pay to have it fitted btw...is it a definate engine out job ??

Cheers
Ad

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hello mate, not actually had it fitted yet but I can imagine it will be a tad expensive, I would approximate 3 x 8 hr days which at £35 + Vat per hour = £987 inc. VAT + consumables etc. maybe £1100! (this is just a guess at the cost) maybe some of the other guys on here have had similar done and know the cost. I was hopefully going to get it done before the summer, funds allowing. Its item No. 3 on a list of about 25 to do............ £180 sounds well cheap for a N1 pump, normally about £270 to £300 new.

I have been told by many that the engine has to come out, and after looking closely at the engine and pump, there is no way you can get the pump off without dropping the sump. You can probably only drop the sump 20mm when the engine is in place due to the x-member and this would make cleaning off all the old gasket cr4p and fully re-sealing it properly again very very difficult.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it was 10w50 that was put in last time not 100% though.

Update on the situation though is that last night on the way home I drove relatively normally but didn't go above 4k rpm. The gauge didn't get to zero at all...it started at 5kg/cm2 and in traffic it dropped to 2 but went up again to around 4 on acceleration. When I got home and left it ticking over for 5 mins it just sat there at 2.

This morning again it started at 5 then on the way to work was about 3/4 under acceleration (3k to 4k rpms).

I noticed after a session of hard acceleration though and then suddenly breaking quite heavily followed by crawling along it did drop to just above 0. I blipped the throttle in traffic and it rose to 2 again then started dropping...once I got out of the traffic and started accelerating again it reached 3/4. Got to work and it was just under 2.

Since this only seems to drop after hard driving and then sitting in traffic...could it be my paranoia or just the fact that the car is overdue an oil change with some decent oil etc ?

Ad

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
If you are using Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 you should have no problems at all with oil pressure, this oil is well tried and tested in these cars without problems. Sounds like a sensor problem.

Cheers
Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts