GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't see any other threads on this matter

Has anyone lowered their R35 yet? If so by how much?? What suspension do you recommend??

I've never lowered any car so far so I need some help :confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Id go for a heigth adjustable springset from KW when its a mainly roadcar...makes the car more comfortable without slowing it down and can be setup to any height you want/need:wavey:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
eibach do a 10mm set for £200-300, get resonable reviews

Mines have a version of these with collars on that stop some suspension noise

KW are good manfacturer and have options for gas lifting for bit more to get you over those speed bumps. costs more but......

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What about KW HLS system ( hydraulic lift system )
It seems be a bit pricy, but smart solution.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i will have some eibach 30mm drop springs front and rear for sale soon if anyone interested. i decided to get an amuse diffuser so will not have enough clearance now! make me an offer

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't think simple lowering springs are the way to go at all. Either go for some height adjustable coilovers or leave it how it is. The ride height changes the attitude of the car so much, and you'll have no way of fine-tuning this.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I don't think simple lowering springs are the way to go at all. Either go for some height adjustable coilovers or leave it how it is. The ride height changes the attitude of the car so much, and you'll have no way of fine-tuning this.
I don't think 10mm eibachs would hurt the alignment that much, slightly stiffer springs as well.

As mine is a JDM they are stuffer so its more effect on the US/Euro cars

for a fairly cheap solution its got good feedback. More than 10mm and you do need to do some alighment stuff, that's why Mines are only 10mm drop!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I don't think 10mm eibachs would hurt the alignment that much, slightly stiffer springs as well.

As mine is a JDM they are stuffer so its more effect on the US/Euro cars

for a fairly cheap solution its got good feedback. More than 10mm and you do need to do some alighment stuff, that's why Mines are only 10mm drop!

You need to do a new alignment in the second you change the rideheight....and if its only 10mm... the more it goes down,the more of your alignment...simple rule...

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
yes but a basic wheel alignment as there will be enough in the stock tolerances with 10mm more and then more drop you need something more serious

·
Registered
288 Posts
yes but a basic wheel alignment as there will be enough in the stock tolerances with 10mm more and then more drop you need something more serious
No the second you alter ride height, your camber changes and so does your toe. Even 10mm of lowering will cause a difference.

But I wasn't actually talking about wheel alignment being different. I was talking more about the balance of the car. Nissan have spent ages with ride heights and spring rates to ensure the car has a good balance. The attitude of the car will be different when you alter ride heights.

If the car starts to understeer more after fitting your lowering springs, how are you going to address that? You would alter the ride height at one end of the car, but you can't do that with lowering springs! For this reason I would use a height adjustable setup, or not bother tampering at all.

In either case, each time you change ride height you should always re-align. :)

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
You dont tend to see many road drivern R35's lowered like the previous models ,mainly I think beacuse this car is a Hell of a lot lower straight out the box then say an R34 .I think Nissan have got the ride height about right this time ,it's quite a big decision to lower this car when just a new front splitter can make it look even more low .As said I'm sure the handling will be differant too and not quite getting everything right could be expensive in tyres ,have heard of worse inner tyre wear on regular drivern lowerd 35's

·
Registered
315 Posts
i would go straight for coilies. Reason is that by these you can always make more adjustments to the height and the stiffness of the suspension to suit your road/track requirements.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
But I wasn't actually talking about wheel alignment being different. I was talking more about the balance of the car. Nissan have spent ages with ride heights and spring rates to ensure the car has a good balance. The attitude of the car will be different when you alter ride heights.

If the car starts to understeer more after fitting your lowering springs, how are you going to address that? You would alter the ride height at one end of the car, but you can't do that with lowering springs! For this reason I would use a height adjustable setup, or not bother tampering at all.
yes Nissan spent ages balancing the car then made it softer for Euroland roads, but hey I have a JDM

the guy that designed it said "10mm is the maximum reduction it can take without modification" so i tend to believe him. How do i know? Via Mines and a article they both wrote and discussed with me in Japan. Mines then modded the Eibach springs to suppress the noise they make for their solution, which has...... 10mm drop

Of course I would of had a re-alignment after fitment?? but I don't need to change other bits to do this I have changed the suspension on most of toy cars anyway, go more than 30mm on a r33 and you need different bits

it does not understeer more with this mod but if it did I would have put wider front tyres on if it did

·
Registered
288 Posts
yes Nissan spent ages balancing the car then made it softer for Euroland roads, but hey I have a JDM

the guy that designed it said "10mm is the maximum reduction it can take without modification" so i tend to believe him. How do i know? Via Mines and a article they both wrote and discussed with me in Japan. Mines then modded the Eibach springs to suppress the noise they make for their solution, which has...... 10mm drop

Of course I would of had a re-alignment after fitment?? but I don't need to change other bits to do this I have changed the suspension on most of toy cars anyway, go more than 30mm on a r33 and you need different bits

it does not understeer more with this mod but if it did I would have put wider front tyres on if it did
I'm sure the car can be lowered 10mm without major change in geometry, but what I'm saying is that the car may take on a handling characteristic which you can do nothing about. The front and rear ride heights are one of the biggest tools you have when changing the balance of the car, and you will be accepting a simple 10mm drop front and rear which you cannot fine tune. It will do what it does, and that's that. Asthetically I'm sure it's nice, but from a handling point of view, a car so heavily developed will need more to see an actual benefit IMO.

Lowering springs have their place - mainly when trying to improve the handling of a town car. For this car though, my opinion is - do it properly or not at all.:smokin:

Although it's going off the point slightly, wider front tyres would not give you more tyre on the road, so you would still be understeering in the above case.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
If you lower the GTR more then lets say 20mm you can´t adjust the "factory settings"...for camber.....but i mean,who cares,you want to run more cmber anyways....

PS: I modded my suspension arms,as there is no adjustable ones out yet...so im back on factory camber on the rear....adjustables front and rear are allready in the pipeline from whiteline....so this problem is solved very soon:chuckle:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Damn, that is low - what is the drop on the springs in the picture - do you know Robbie?

Kp

·
Registered
276 Posts
Damn, that is low - what is the drop on the springs in the picture - do you know Robbie?

Kp
I'm not so sure that looks any lower than stock when you look at the gap from the deck to the front spltter or side skirt. Looks more like a case of bigger wheels with less gap in the arches. Maybe I'm wrong but looking at similar shots of my car on stock setup the actual ride hight looks close.

Ally

1 - 20 of 34 Posts