GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK guys I'm preparing to get my head bitten off here but I've owned quite a few LPG cars (a 235,000 XJR and my current GS430 being noteworthy expamples).

I'm considering converting my R35 to LPG, the car is a 2009 with 16k miles and running stage 2 atm so close to 600bhp I would have thought.

Its unlikely I'll get a system to support 600bhp but I do know they can switch back to petrol at high load so I'm thinking of a system that could run on gas up to 300bhp then switch back to petrol when giving it some.

Does anyone have any experience or advise on this (other than just don't do it becuase its never been done before)?

I know LPG can kill valves, anyone know the approx cose of a complete valve overhaul for the R35?

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
There's a guy on here called Edward (posts as MobileLPG) who may be able to help. If you search, there is a thread about converting Skyline's to run on LPG as well. I'm sure R32 Combat had one of his Stagea's converted for LPG as well. It's doable but you may find yourself being the first. The biggest thing I would think being against it is the fuel tank will be so close the transmission so you will be fighting the heat it gives off?

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Fuel tank is also not that big for the fuel consumption. Add in the lower calorific value of lpg and you will need an extra tank. No spare wheel well, so you'll lose boot capacity.

My main concern would be the reduction in value, but if you intend to run the car into the ground anyway, why not! I'd imagine on a gtr it would pay for itself quicker than on many other cars.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Can I ask a question.

Why are people buying GTR's then wanting to worry about fuel economy?

Odd.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Some people love the car but hate the running costs, you could argue that an LPG conversion lets you have both.

In the states, the car is much cheaper to run because of the price of gas. If you whacked the price of gas up out there, people would complain. Just because you have to pay the cost, doesn't mean you can't be bitter about it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've had mine 4 weeks, filled up 4 times lol
My previous car I'd have filled up once.

It's a pain, but you should go into ownership of these cars with your eyes wide open.

To the OP, you'd be better off buying a cheap diesel to commute in and save the GTR for the weekend.

·
Registered
429 Posts

It's a pain, but you should go into ownership of these cars with your eyes wide open.

To the OP, you'd be better off buying a cheap diesel to commute in and save the GTR for the weekend.
Only 4 times in four weeks?...I managed three tanks in my first week lol...and that was using it purely for pleasure purposes!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Save yourself from the hassle, put the money it would cost you to one side and use that money on petrol :)

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Some people love the car but hate the running costs, you could argue that an LPG conversion lets you have both.

In the states, the car is much cheaper to run because of the price of gas. If you whacked the price of gas up out there, people would complain. Just because you have to pay the cost, doesn't mean you can't be bitter about it.
I agree - I am chuffed to bits with my new map which appears to do 26MPG as opposed to historic 21MPG on a run. Just because an owner can afford it doesn't mean to say saving money on Motorway etc isn't smart/desirable. No one got wealthy by pissing money away if they don't have to.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I understand.

Still think its part and parcel of owning one, pros and cons ect.

Still, get around it and I say well done!

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Better off swapping the engine for a 1.8l diesel and flogging the original.

LPG.

Seriously :runaway:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate the advice here guys.

Please don't get me wrong, if its a no go I'll stick with petrol but I dont want to drive a diesel to work daily and if there is an option to pay half price for petrol then I would prefer that option to paying full price.

Boot space is really of little concern and I drive past an LPG pump on the way to work daily so filling up often due to a small tank is not the end of the world.

If we can disregard the 'why would you buy a GTR and worry about petrol?' comment (to those people please call me to arrange your insurance as I'll gladly take a £1k commision for arranging it - you get my point;) ) and stick to the general thread of what would be the problems and any experience people have had with other high power cars on LPG.

I see the car as a keeper for me and that means putting another 50k miles on it with potential savings of £10k.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tazz,
Great links and I've made some enquiries with those members who seem to have some good knowledge.

If it goes ahead then I'll definaltely keep everyone posted here.

·
Registered
522 Posts

I got through a full tank yesterday! 250 mile round trip to litchfields then saw off what was left at night trying out the new mods which included a very interesting encounter with a big bike!

·
R35 Section manager
10,948 Posts
I guess it depends on how much the Lpg system costs and how often you use your car to make it pay?

·
R35 Section manager
10,948 Posts
I guess it depends on how much the Lpg system costs and how often you use your car to make it pay?

But then you will have more miles on the 35 so its will be worth less anyway. So really only worth fitting lpg if you are keeping the car for 5 years or more otherwise there is no saving.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've heard it all now...... Don't degrade please just buy your self a cheap diesel corsa or something
I've already got a Lexus that will do 27 mpg @65p a litre so I've no interest in another vehicle.

I want to drive my GTR at 65p per litre if I can.

If its not for you guys I respect that but in the interest of pushing something out there that AFAIK has not been done before on an R35 it would be nice to draw on and knowledge in the field before going ahead.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts