GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a first time poster but long time lurker. Looking to purchase an R34 and this one has caught my eye.

*Link to the Pheads M-Spec advert by I.B.E cars west yorks*

I know the mechanical differences between the M-Spec and the V-Spec, but what are the visual differences?

I thought the M-Spec had a badge on the rear right side bumper, and also the white V-spec style tacho and speed backings, but this car seems to have neither?

Can anyone confirm if there are VIN differences also for the M-Spec, or a way to tell that the 'ripple' suspension is present?

Has anyone had dealings with IBE cars?

As you can see form the add, there are a few unanserwed questions and the wording raises some concerns.

Any help would be appreciated to ensure my first GTR is not a genuine spec.

Thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hope this helps.

In October 2000, Nissan released the V.spec II, replacing the V.spec. The V.spec II has increased stiffness in the suspension (even stiffer than the original V.spec) and had larger rear brake rotors. It also comes equipped with a carbon fiber hood equipped with a NACA duct, which is lighter than the aluminum that all other GT-R hoods are made from. Also different on the V.spec II was an iridium center console and aluminum pedals. The seats were upholstered with black cloth rather than the gray cloth used on previous R34 GT-R models, and the amber turn lenses were replaced with white versions. With the exception of the carbon fiber bonnet, the standard trim level GT-R also received these updates.

Skyline R34 police vehicle in Saitama Prefecture, Japan.
In February 2002 Nissan released a final production model of the R34 GT-R called the Skyline GT-R V.spec II Nür[22] and the Skyline GT-R M-spec Nür. The Nür was named after the famous German Nürburgring racetrack, where the Skyline was developed. In total 1000 R34 GT-R Nür(s) were made, 750 were V.spec II Nürs' and 250 M-Spec Nürs'. The Nür model featured an improved RB26DETT based on the N1 racing engine. The standard turbochargers were upgraded to larger versions with a slight increase in boost and the ceramic blades were replaced with steel versions. This has increased lag, but to compensate the turbo's durability was improved while being able to handle a bigger boost increase. This allowed tuners to increase the boost safely with standard turbos up to 340 kW (450 hp) at the crank. The V.spec II Nür is based on the regular V.spec II model, and the M-spec Nür was based on the regular M-spec model. Other than the addition of the Nür engine, the Nür models also included a different color of stitching on the interior trim, as well as a speedometer reading up to 300 km/h (186 mph), and gold valve covers instead of red. Due to Japanese car industry norms at the time, the car was advertised as having 206 kW (276 hp) but it actually had over 246 kW (330 hp) when it left the factory

·
Registered
55 Posts
You know what, that particular car had caught my attention as well...
You must have looked at it from pistonhead, am I right?

This one?
HTML:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r34/nissan-skyline-r34-gt-r-nur-engined-m-spec-dec-2001-awesome/2639788
Well, speaking of the exterior, The M-Spec (standard and Nur Spec) looks pretty much like the standard GTR (non V-Spec), you can tell it from the front bumper which has no left side vent like the V spec. Talking about the suspension, some say it is softer or let's say, less rigid, than the V spec, since many consider it "luxury" version of the BNR34. In the interior, the most distinctive appearance is of course the leather-wrapped bucket seat, which only found in the M Spec.

The car from the link looks very convincing, since it has everything I've said, but what confused me was that IBE said it was from 2001. As a good chap earlier explained, all of the Nur Spec R34s were produce in 2002, not earlier nor later. So, my suggestion is that you looked at the VIN, or maybe the service book. But I think it is a standard M Spec, which later on swapped the standard RB26 with the Nur Spec RB26. Hmm... very very confusing....

CMIIW guys, If I made a mistake or maybe mistakes.... :bowdown1:

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
It might be an m spec but doesn't look like a Nur to me. Engine is gold in Nurs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the help.

Yes Leonov34, that's the one.

Think from here I'll pay a visit and check it out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was a little put off by the engine change on the IBE car, even though it is an uprated spec...it makes me wonder why the stock engine was changed out !

so yes, still looking... PM me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts