GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
At the gtr cartel drag day the guys from evolve tuning were there. They had a new m5 and it was not only fast but seemed consistent too. Very impressive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Never mind they are nearly 12 years separated in terms of engineering and technology - I think the GTR put up a valiant fight.

Try getting 1200hp from a M5, would be expensive to say the least.

I owned a F10 M5, it was poo. I got stage 2 and downpipes, nearly 800bhp but the clutch pack was £5k to replace with baskets. traded it in because I couldn't be arsed spending £5 - 7k on a £20k car.

My daily's a RS6 performance edition with Stage2 mods, it's an absolute wepaon and I've only had two F90's even come close, but then again I've done nearly 300k miles in C7 variant RS6's so I know them very well - Just because of the age of the new M5 it's probably not possible to have done anywhere near those miles.

I'll be surprised when I get overtaken by one in any of my cars!

·
R35 Section manager
10,782 Posts
My daily's a RS6 performance edition with Stage2 mods, it's an absolute wepaon and I've only had two F90's even come close, but then again I've done nearly 300k miles in C7 variant RS6's so I know them very well
Is stage 2 about 750bhp?

I've gone to Rs6 from my 35 so interested to hear.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Is stage 1 just a re-map?
That to be honest would be more than enough for me
Yes mate huge gains
Just air filter and remap at mrc

Anything other than perfectly dry tarmac though and 1000 nm is trying to break traction regularly lol I'm just on Dunlop tyres

V box plot

·
R35 Section manager
10,782 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Put the M5 against a Tesla :)

On a less flippant note that M5 is a very good piece of engineering but in stock form the R35's most impressive attribute is not is drag speed but it's ability to compete with all manner of exotic cars around a track.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is stage 2 about 750bhp?

I've gone to Rs6 from my 35 so interested to hear.
I absolutely recommend the RS6 to anyone who wants a daily which will scare the family dog and lug loads across countries effortlessly. I'm on my 7th car when it arrives from the factory in March. Bullet proof reliable and I drive like a ****** most of the time.

The M5 will break drivetrain just looking at it on stage 2. M5 made nearly 900 ft lbs which is why the trans fell apart.

Not a shameless plug but Andy Clarke mapped my first C7 RS6 after years of using "big names". The car was an absolute weapon and saw off 911 turbos, quite a lot of (probably stage 1) GTR's and most things on the road. I could have the confidence to sling it into a bend at 150 and knew exactly where the limit was.

Wind forward and I'm in a performance edition with pan roof and all the toys, but hate the colour (black) as it always looks dirty.

Can't wait for the new one, counting the days now. Vorsprung edition with B&O, pan roof, full parking pack, black optics.

Only criticism is the engine pitch change on 2,800 rpm which is especially apparent after doing the downpipes and I think is something to do with 4 cylinder mode - wish it could be turned off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The F90 M5 is a great car, the comparison however has some flaws.

1) M5 jumped the start
2) Kick down from 60 - to get a clear comparison you need to stick both in the same gear

I had an RS7 with approximately 700 bhp (stage 1 plus Milltek cat back) and during VMAX200 it was on par with a stage 2 GTR with about 620 HP, the GTR had the edge by just 0.5 mph extra on the runway.

On a straight line they're both very close modded and not modded. A 4.25 GTR is almost the same even if not a bit faster in the straight than a stage 2 M5 or RS7. However when you compare these cars you need to take everything else into consideration.

The M5 is a great split personality car - Cruiser and Bruiser. The GT-R is mainly a purpose built Bruiser.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts