GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all fellow Skyline people.

Just wondering if any magazine would be interested in running an article on the following…

It has always annoyed me that when magazines such as EVO do a group test involving a Skyline, they always use a completely 'fresh from the factory' bog standard one. Why is this so, when it is common knowledge that even when the standard ECU / back box and filter are changed, the power levels go up by roughly 25%. To add insult to injury, as you all know, the Skyline is actually restricted to comply with the ridicules Japanese legal limitation of 280ps with the original intention for it to push out considerably more.

An original restricted Skyline is simply the starting point from which you design the real Supercar, be it a 360bhp or 550bhp flying machine. Why can't a magazine at least use a derestricted 360bhp Skyline in Group Tests? In just about every big test I have seen, the Skyline has been accused of having fantastic handling and brakes, but not quite enough grunt in the mid range! Not bloody surprising - Stick the same poncy restrictions experienced by a standard Skyline on any of the other BMW's, Porsche's, TVR's etc usually involved in these wanky tests, and I guess you might find they too don't 'quite have enough grunt in the mid range!'

I want to see a test involving a tuned Skyline monster and these so called 'fast cars' and then really see how they compare. One of the Skyline's best points is its ability to start as a great car, but have the ability to be converted, if desired, into a truly awesome car, and I really feel that this point should be made more of.

Although everyone reading this thread will know about these inherent Skyline abilities, I feel this knowledge shouldn't be kept to the select few but broadcasted to the world. Come on magazine people, set something up and lets see…

Rupert

·
Registered
520 Posts
Agreement

Rupert

Dont get annoyed mate - We agree with ya sentiments exactly

But will we ever see a 500 to 700 hp Skyline up against a 911 or wanky TVR ?

Id also like to see a 700 hp Skyline against a bike to compare performance - Any takers

Thanks

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Rupert,

I agree entirely, but you'll probably find that a vast majority of owners do nothing to the car which is why mainstream magazines like Evo are intended for Joe Public. How many R34 owners on this board and how many in the UK?

Cem

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes,I agree Rupert.

I am trying to do things TOO,hence Dyno-Day,10 of the Best,Drag Racing and so on,others will slowly catch on.......I truely believe Video`s & Magazines are paid to not have the highly modified Skylines.Shame.:(

In the Guiness Book of Records it states the Maclaren F1 does 0-60MPH in 3.2 seconds...............I reckon thats worth going for this year!

Henry.

ps.bikes are good to race:D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Good Points but

Rupert.

I suppose it's difficult for mags like EVO because if they start putting a 'modified' Skyline up against a 'standard' Porsche, then the Porsche guys are gonna start complaining as we are.

Suppose its better for them to just take the factory car and test that and keep the peace. Now if Nissan done a special. Oooooh they do, a 400R, but not for sale here. Damn.

glen

·
Registered
997 Posts
Alan ,
You know I`d love to race your "red" one,how about Santa Pod latter in the year?

BTW,you had better let folks know what your "red"one is....Full spec please for all you two wheel nutters.

Henry.;)

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I've got to keep some things a secret she is an old girl 1991 to be precise and has been on a diet and lost some weight from her standard form. Whilst she has gained some extra cc (now 1216).
Tuned by TTS @ Silverstone 151BHP @ the rear wheel.
Dyno sheet to prove :p
Thats all for now folks :D :D

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
Alan,
Has it got turbo`s:D

I have seen Alan & Andreas bikes and they are in A1 condition.The "Lucky Strike" machine is AWESOME .
Nice one Alan for posting the photo.
Santa Pod ? When? ;)

Cheers Mate,
Henry.

(Cusco bits on Order)

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
bike racing

They don't let cars race bike don't they? I have got to say that I have not seen the two go head to head except for magazines. It is nice to have a car that can keep up with most bikes but I have got to admit, I saw an R1 last year going full blat (was not in the skyline) and am not sure that I could keep up. Might try with chap opposite me....he has dynojetted R1...good for accidental 100mph wheelies he tells me.
Dave

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree that the Skyline's potential should be published more, but it must be quite satisfying pulling up next to a TVR, knowing the driver is thinking, "I happen to know that skyline lacks a bit of mid range grunt because that's what the magazines say. I should beat it!"

And then seeing the TVR getting smaller and smaller in your rear view mirror.

:D

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I recall EVO doing an article on both RUF and Gemballa 911s.....don't really see why a tuned GTR should not be given the same treatment!

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Evo did do a test last year to see which was quickest on track which included a tuned 32 (purported to be around 600 bhp), an R500 Superlight and (I think) an R1. This is, in reverse order, the way they finished.....

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
FFS, Look at the recomendations these magazines give to cars, not to name names, but EVO give a Ford Fester 4 Stars.

Quick, Go look up 'The Knowledge', you'll find that the R33 and R34 GTR both get 4 stars too.

Something amiss I think....more than just tuning, maybe it's a mindset.

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Ssshhhh ....

Why oh why do you want the Skyline secret to be let out.
For brand new [uk] R34 you are looking at 50k.
How much more to boost the power up to, say 550bhp.
Brand new Porsche 911 now in sight so many may go for this.
But just imagine people start buying and modifying their Skylines and they become more and more popular.
A trip to the corner shop becomes less interesting as you see yourself coming and going as a Skyline rash sweeps across the country.I have had the honour of driving 911 and R34. I know where my money is going to go.
Even if you take it as standard, which would you go for new R34 or BMW M3. Well, I've cancelled my M3 order so I must have misread Evo.
Drive the Skyline. Love the Skyline. But don't let the cat out of the bag.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself....

Seems that article Evo ran ("Supercars v superbike track test) was longer ago than I thought. It was in October 2000 at Croft and in fact the 32 featured was Tim Milne's. It came sixth behind a Blackbird, 340R :eek: , Stealth, R1 and the 'winner' an R500 Superlight. I find it hard to believe that a 340R beat a 600 bhp 32 as I only ever seem to see them disappearing in the rear view mirror on track.....

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
True Horsepower

Hi Peter,

I vaguely remember this item also, but i have to question the actual horsepower of Tim's (now stolen) R32, as if your watch the Jeremy Clarkson video Miss VBH states on camera as the car having 700 bhp, and on the video cover it saying it had 800 bhp, i think it was nearer the 600 mark that you stated, was a fantastic car, was very sad to hear it had gone the journey!!:(

It certainly kicked the Cerbera's butt!!!!;)

Cheers

Stu:D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Croft

Guy,

I can say that croft is a very tight curcuit with a short straight, that has a 180 degree first gear corner leading onto it!!
So max speed on the straight is roughly 120-130 ish, i know this curcuit oh so well as i live 3 miles away!!!!;)

Cheers

Stu

1 - 20 of 26 Posts