GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, what do you think about the necessity for the regular service intervals which are scheduled to - EVERY 6 MONTHS!!
As I will be doing max 10.000 km (ca 6000 miles) per year, I would have to go to the service every 6 months (it says in the manuals every 10.000 km/6 months)
The problem is that my nearest HPC is 400 km away and it is real pain in the ass to go there every 6 months...
I really don't see why the oil should be changed every 6 months if I made c.a. 5.000 km in that period.
My question is, do you think I could have warranty problems if I decide to go to the service every 10.000 km, not taking care about those 6 months... could I arrange something with my HPC, what do you think?
I can understand "every 10.000 km", but every 6 months really doesn't make sense...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm in the same situation, since I don't use the car frequently. I had my 6 month service with 1k miles on the clock & it's due back in 4 months for the 12 month service which will probably have around 1,500 miles on the clock. I've discussed with MH with regards service frequency more weighted towards mileage over timeline. As my car incurred damaged to the wheels & bumper on the collection/return & I don't fancy driving 700+ miles round trip back to MH unless something more tailored is offered.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they agree to service it on the mileage basis, and not considering time...?

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
You dont need a 12k mile service on the light use you have mentiond and 100% not if you are only going to have under 2k on the clock ,it's really not needed .

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not talking about the need for km/miles based service, I am talking about the time related service - they say 10000 km (6000 miles) or 6 months.
I want to change oils and have service done on 10000 km, but not after 6 months if I have 5-6000 km on the clock after 6 months.
There are also those 12 months inspections that are carried out without cost...but I am not talking about them too :)
I just cannot believe that I will have to service my car every 6 months, cause that would be service after every 5-6000 km which is really pointless
10000 km is also really a short service interval but I can understand that, supercar, high performance engine, gearbox etc...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You dont need a 12k mile service on the light use you have mentiond and 100% not if you are only going to have under 2k on the clock ,it's really not needed .
agreed stealth, it's the validity of warranty which I need to get confirmed from MH/Nissan, i.e. if not followed by the book wrt miles/duration

·
Registered
690 Posts
In these Eco friendly times it does seem criminal that Nissan should make you change your oil when the car has done so few miles. I'd put on your green hat and suggest that they need to revist the whole 6 month nonsense. You never know! Failing that, one of the indy dealers (Litchfields eg) at probably half the cost?!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have spoken to my local HPC regarding this subject, I will normally cover 6,000 miles per year. So in effect, under current "W" rules I need to service every 3,000 miles and have pre and post track services. I know this was being discussed with Nissan, hopefully commen sense will prevail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am in the same boat (will do c5k miles/year) but was told (albeit some time ago [after complaining]) that irrespective of the low mileage to maintain the warranty I would have to have a service every 6 months. It would be very pleasing to hear that Nissan are prepared to take a more common sense approach - have you heard that they are really reconsidering this?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is really a total nonsense!!
Theoretically, if I am abroad for 6 months, and I do 0 km/miles, I have to service the car?!?
I will write an email to my HPC when I find some time, I am interested what they will say...

·
Registered
290 Posts
In conversation with the owner of my local HPC, he did mention that Nissan were looking into these issues. I shall confirm next time I am through in Edinburgh, likely next week.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Long story short
I contacted Nissan Wien (Vienna) in Austria, my HPC.
I mentioned that I am the memeber of GTROC too...
They told me that they cannot do anything, they have to follow Nissan directions and the warranty is only valid if the car is serviced every 6 months - pian in the ass for me
But, they told me that they will send some request to Nissan Europe and that it would be very smart if we (the owners from the club) send some signed request too.
As it is impossible that we all sign the same letter, we could all send the same email to some official email address (Nissan Europe) with our VIN number.
What do you think of it? I don't know for you, but 6 months service is really a big problem and a big minus for GTR IMHO
Porsche has service intervals 25000 km or 2 years...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will try to write some email template we all could use, I have some Nissan Europe address, I contacted them long time ago when I was waiting for my GTR and had problems with user profile on the GTR site...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
why not start a thread here and ask people to add their names to it if they want to 'sign'

Then send the link to the thread and to the email address? That way if more people sign up Nissan will see that every time they check the link? Assuming they do check the link.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, but maybe the forum admin should open such a thread...
I will sign that thread but I will also send an email directly to Nissan Europe...
I just have to find where I saved that Nissan Europe email address...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I agree, but maybe the forum admin should open such a thread...
I will sign that thread but I will also send an email directly to Nissan Europe...
I just have to find where I saved that Nissan Europe email address...
I guess you'd have to ask Guy if it's something he's willing to take to Nissan?

Guy?

If not, then it's up to us as individuals.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I guess you'd have to ask Guy if it's something he's willing to take to Nissan?

Guy?

If not, then it's up to us as individuals.
The best course of action is for those people affected by this to ask formally via their HPCs first. If there are several people who do so and also post on here I'll then ask Nissan what their thoughts are. As has been said though this has already been raised with Nissan.

Lets also put this into perspective, the requirement is a 6k service at circa £200 on a £50k+ supercar, so it's not exactly a scandal. Its also the same as you'll pay in road-tax for the same period in the UK.

I do however agree that it seems overkill to insist on a service on a car that had either never been used, or had done say 500-1000 miles in slow cold conditions over the winter for example.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I don't think that anybody is talking about the cost of the service here, the problem is that you have to service the car so often and if you live 400 km far away from the HPC and in another country, it starts being a real problem...
10000 km is a short service interval, but 6 months is nonsense, like someone's kidding! What happens with the fluids after 6 months, they get old, like milk?!?
Nissan, add some preservatives into the car please!
Or, a picture is worth 1000 words...please take a look and zoom it a bit, to be able to read it... scanned from the officiall brochure...

1 - 20 of 111 Posts