GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I guess you'd have to ask Guy if it's something he's willing to take to Nissan?

Guy?

If not, then it's up to us as individuals.
The best course of action is for those people affected by this to ask formally via their HPCs first. If there are several people who do so and also post on here I'll then ask Nissan what their thoughts are. As has been said though this has already been raised with Nissan.

Lets also put this into perspective, the requirement is a 6k service at circa £200 on a £50k+ supercar, so it's not exactly a scandal. Its also the same as you'll pay in road-tax for the same period in the UK.

I do however agree that it seems overkill to insist on a service on a car that had either never been used, or had done say 500-1000 miles in slow cold conditions over the winter for example.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I don't think that anybody is talking about the cost of the service here, the problem is that you have to service the car so often and if you live 400 km far away from the HPC and in another country, it starts being a real problem...
10000 km is a short service interval, but 6 months is nonsense, like someone's kidding! What happens with the fluids after 6 months, they get old, like milk?!?
Nissan, add some preservatives into the car please!
Or, a picture is worth 1000 words...please take a look and zoom it a bit, to be able to read it... scanned from the officiall brochure...
I totally agree that the intervals are ridiculous and have made this point to Nissan on many occasions in discussions. What we need is lots of people complaining to dealers about it to help the matter gain importance.

At the moment, I face having oil services every 1,800 miles if going over 110c which is easy and trans oil at 3,000 if going over 120c (which is better but still easy on track). Given that these are at different intervals I would in theory need to visit my dealer a total of 11 times during the course of the year if I did 12,000 miles (thats 4 trans fluid changes and 7 oil changes, as they won't co-incide). Of course since my dealer is a 120 mile trip return, just the journeys to these services alone would add another 1,320 miles, which would therefore add nearly add another oil change etc.

My Porsche GT2 on the other hand never got hot (on track or at 217mph indicated on the Autobahn) and I recall having one gearbox fluid change and maybe two oil changes in 5 years, 20,000 miles and many dozen trackdays.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Just noticed this thread.

I have already pointed out to Nissan the absurdity of this, but will ask again.

They still have also not changed the interval if over the temperature limit for the engine oil. So in theory you have a 3,000 mile trans change and 1,800 mile engine oil changes occurring at different times if you get the car hot.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
This low-use oil-change policy makes no sense, as most people state. Given it is for cars that are not being used much, it implies that it is to cover degradation in oil whilst not being used. So Nissan feel that the Mobil 1 oil in the GTR sump will only last 6 months if barely or not used. Porsche by comparison are happy that the EXACT same Mobil 1 engine oil will last 24 months in their sump, before requiring a time-based service.

I have asked Nissan about this strange difference, but have, as yet, received no reply.

Guy

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have now had a reply from Nissan and basically they won't budge. Their view is that it's not just about the oil, but they want the car inspected every 6 months to ensure it is always up to it's best performing standards. Like most of this, this comes from Japan (aka Mizuno) and it doesn't seem like something that Nissan Europe can change on their own, even if they had the inclination to do so.

To be honest this sort of nonsense is just embarrassing. Nissan targeted Porsche and happily put on posters how they are better than Porsche. It's a shame then that Porsche can build a car that will last 24 months before a time-based service, whereas Nissan can only last 6 months.

The 'precious' attitude from Japan about the GTR is frankly very annoying, this is just a car, not a Faberge Egg........

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I suppose only the HPC can really answer this, but if my car has done less than 200 miles since the 6,000 mile service (done at 1,100 miles) and I don't comply with performing a 12,000 mile service, my warranty is out the window?

Wish I'd not held off nearly 2 years for a UK car now and just bought an import.....
That would seem to be the case, in theory, since non-compliance with the servicing regime voids warranty.

In extremis, a GTR professionally stored over winter in a proper facility for 6 months, with say a run every month for 5 miles to ensure lubrication etc would still need another service after doing those 30 miles. Insanity!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.