GTR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Count me in.
It's really quite silly to service the car leave it in a garage for the winter and then service it again 6 months later when the car has only been driven for a few miles during that time.

I have over 500km to the nearest HPC. Luckily, EU-rules say that warranty is still valid even though the service isn't carried out by Nissan so Perra at APP here in Sweden did the last oil change. Saved alot of time as he lives alot closer. Probobly alot of money too ;)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I don't think that anybody is talking about the cost of the service here, the problem is that you have to service the car so often and if you live 400 km far away from the HPC and in another country, it starts being a real problem...
10000 km is a short service interval, but 6 months is nonsense, like someone's kidding! What happens with the fluids after 6 months, they get old, like milk?!?
Nissan, add some preservatives into the car please!
Or, a picture is worth 1000 words...please take a look and zoom it a bit, to be able to read it... scanned from the officiall brochure...
I totally agree that the intervals are ridiculous and have made this point to Nissan on many occasions in discussions. What we need is lots of people complaining to dealers about it to help the matter gain importance.

At the moment, I face having oil services every 1,800 miles if going over 110c which is easy and trans oil at 3,000 if going over 120c (which is better but still easy on track). Given that these are at different intervals I would in theory need to visit my dealer a total of 11 times during the course of the year if I did 12,000 miles (thats 4 trans fluid changes and 7 oil changes, as they won't co-incide). Of course since my dealer is a 120 mile trip return, just the journeys to these services alone would add another 1,320 miles, which would therefore add nearly add another oil change etc.

My Porsche GT2 on the other hand never got hot (on track or at 217mph indicated on the Autobahn) and I recall having one gearbox fluid change and maybe two oil changes in 5 years, 20,000 miles and many dozen trackdays.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lets also put this into perspective, the requirement is a 6k service at circa £200 on a £50k+ supercar, so it's not exactly a scandal. Its also the same as you'll pay in road-tax for the same period in the UK.
I agree Guy but (I don't have the service interval costs to hand) but for us who are running low mileage then there is a cost issue in year 2 and 3 when the big services kick in. I have no issue with the service cost but from where I am sitting there is nothing that is being done or changed out that is "time dependant".

I am happy with 6k interval (service costs are expensive but I am happy to pay.....and I'm Scottish) but as I think we all agree every 2-3k is madness. I am surprised with all the computing power within the car it was not set up to indicate miles to service in relation to how we drive, similar to other manufactures.

I will send a formal email to Nobles right away. Having seen Nissan's response to other more pressing matters I would honestly expect them to re-think this interval.

BTW what is done on a pre-track inspection, is this really required or would the post track inspection be sufficient?
I am thinking my skill level may not require geometry change for me to reach my GRIN level.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lindsay Mac,

Count me in! I'm going to be out of the UK until March, the 6 month servcie will be due then and I only have 2k miles on the beast!

I'll get an Email off to the dealer principal at Noble Nissan.

Cheers,

G.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's totally bonkers to expect oil to be changed regardless of mileage! How "green" is that?! Maybe every 6000 miles or annually would be a logical answer? I suspect the "get it back to the HPC as often as possible" approach might be seen as an opportunity to sell tyres, pads, and enything else they can find wrong with the car that has to be paid for!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Same here, I am not asking for 2 years and 20000 km, I would accept 10000 km (6000 miles) or annually. That is also pretty often, but I'd say ok.
But servicing a car every 6 months, that is really a shame! Does Nissan believe in the quality of a car if it needs to be serviced every 6 months?
Again, the biggest rival, 911 Turbo has the intervals every 30000 km or every 2 years...
GTR has to be serviced 4 times more then the 911 Turbo... considering that, we can only conlude that GTR is 4 times less quality then 911 Turbo.
And to be honest, Nissan has never said that the GTR is faster than the Turbo BUT it needs to be serviced 4 times more...
They only said it's faster...

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Why does the uk / eu differ from other continents?

Nissan Japan Lowers the Cost of GT-R Maintenance | Nissan GT-R News - GTRBlog.com

Can some members from other continents confirm what their service schedules are, and whether the above link is true.

Personally i'm not adverse to changing my fluids every 6000 miles (10000 km), i think we all agree that changing the oil regular is good practise in a car like this. But having 6 monthly intervals when the jdm are 12 months smells of rip off britain, again.

If the above link is correct, perhaps the questions we should be asking is why are we different, is our climate so different that it effects the behaviour of the oil and it breaks down over a 6 month period. Or is it just down to the fact that the exchange rate took a turn for the worse and they want to get some money back from servicing costs.

Or is that me being cynical?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Why does the uk / eu differ from other continents?

Nissan Japan Lowers the Cost of GT-R Maintenance | Nissan GT-R News - GTRBlog.com

Can some members from other continents confirm what their service schedules are, and whether the above link is true.

Personally i'm not adverse to changing my fluids every 6000 miles (10000 km), i think we all agree that changing the oil regular is good practise in a car like this. But having 6 monthly intervals when the jdm are 12 months smells of rip off britain, again.

If the above link is correct, perhaps the questions we should be asking is why are we different, is our climate so different that it effects the behaviour of the oil and it breaks down over a 6 month period. Or is it just down to the fact that the exchange rate took a turn for the worse and they want to get some money back from servicing costs.

Or is that me being cynical?
Same car, different servicing? Can't be fair. I'd love to hear why we are being messed about. Don't use the HPC's for the 6 monthly con, they can't make you!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Am in hurry now, but I found the email address of Nissan Center Europe for GTR for Germany...or something like that.
I contacted them once when my HPC didn't know the answer to some of my questions...
We can start bombing them with emails now :)

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I sent a letter off to Nobles this morning.
Cheers Lindsay - look forward to hearing what David has to say.

I'm guessing he has to pass it on to Nissan GB - but i'd like to ask the same question as my car is my 2nd car and only gets used at weekends. So unless i do a few trips to London, i'm not going to get to 6k by March either.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Guys - does anyone have any news on this?

I'm in the same boat. I haven't ordered yet but will only be covering <6k miles per year. Am happy with 6k mile intervals but the 6 month rule seems crazy. It would make up my mind to order if Nissan relaxed this rule.

Many thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The official answer from my HPC and Nissan Europe is still - they cannot do anything, the rules are in the warranty book.
BuIIshit!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
When I mentioned that for Japan, they told me - yes, but the climate and weather conditions in Europe are different. Do they really think that people who have money to buy a GTR are so stupid and that we don't know "how stuff work"?
Humiliating

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just had mine serviced this week. 9 months old, 5,000 miles no problems, no mention of warranty issues being affected. Also advised that next service due at 11,000 miles or August when the car will be 15 months. The 6 month 6,000 mile rule is I believe just a general guide and common sense prevails. It's the initial and annual optimisation checks that are the ones that need to be strictly adhered to to keep the warranty intact I wold expect.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
OK, you were lucky. But do I and my GTR's warranty have to depend on some technician and his good or bad mood?
If he doesn't like me, or he didn't f**k his wife that night, he has all rights to void my warranty if I am late for the service...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 24000 mile service booked for April as it will be 6 months since my last service.
This means I have had
1. The optimisation plus wheel alignment
2. 6000 mile service
3. 12000 mile service
(new tyres and wheel alignment at 15000)
4. 18000 mile service
20000 miles wheel alignment again as steering wheel out of line (told I need a new set of tyres)
I have slowed the miles down now so the car shows 21500 on the clock and I like the rest of the club members will do about 5-6000 per year.
All this so far in a car which was registered in June.
It makes no sense to me to have the 12 month/24000 mile service in April.
What service will they do?
I will then have to take it back to have the 12 month check in June?!
I asked my HPC and was told with no doubt that the car must be serviced every 6 months even if it has done zero miles!
I asked if they would really take out unused oil filters etc and replace them ?
Answer...absolutely right they would!!
At approx £800 per service this is a bit over the top.
I have been in contact with Litchfields who will do the service for less than half the cost and this will not affect the warranty as they use all genuine Nissan products.
I am happy to drive to them as I love driving the car and for the same money as a Nissan service I can have a weekend away at the same time.
I have already posted that there are 200 of us on here now and I think that gives us a lot of clout.
200 x 2 services a year @ £800 = £320000.00 of service business for some one to get or LOSE!
200 x 4 tyres x 1 set per 8-10000 miles @ £1400 =£280000.00

That's £600000.00 every year on basics from we the members/customers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just had mine serviced this week. 9 months old, 5,000 miles no problems, no mention of warranty issues being affected. Also advised that next service due at 11,000 miles or August when the car will be 15 months. The 6 month 6,000 mile rule is I believe just a general guide and common sense prevails. It's the initial and annual optimisation checks that are the ones that need to be strictly adhered to to keep the warranty intact I wold expect.
Yeah right, wait till something goes wrong. I have raised this several times and it is very clear in the manual and the HPC's interpretation guide reveals you require a time based service every 6 months if you have not reached the millage that would trigger a service.

General guide and common sense repair, try that one with Nissan, BMW or Porsche.....................trust me I have discussed this at lenght. :blahblah:

21 - 40 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.