GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a problem with my r32 and just wondered if any ones had the same problem and could point me in the right direction! ive got new pads and discs all round and still when braking hard getting loads of vibration through the steering wheel its hard to keep hold of on further investigation i found the steering rod had gone so i changed that and still the same is there a comon place to look next? cheers

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
steering rack bushings and the steering column bushing on an R32 are most likely well-worn. So that's a contributing factor.

But judder comes from the brake discs. And no, they're not warped. You have to run them in good and hard. Find an empty road, get up to speed, 60-80mph, then make ten VERY HARD stops. There are several websites which detail this run-in procedure, you should check them. I think some might recommend progressively working up to 100% braking force; I can't recall off the top of my head.

One CRITICAL thing to do, is to NOT apply the brakes when the car isn't moving, and the rotors are hot. What happens then is you are burning an imprint of your pads onto the rotor, which you will feel as judder. If I've done a lot of hard braking, then find myself at a stoplight, I will use the handbrake and not touch the brake pedal.

And, at least in my experience, brake pad selection ends up mattering. Whatever pads came with the car juddered like mad. I then went to Endless Super Sports M, and they would judder if I didn't care for the rotors properly (like holding the brake down on hot rotors at a stoplight, where I'd have to run-in the pads all over again from scratch. I now have Endless cc-Rg pads, and no judder problems at all. Ridiculous amounts of brake dust, yes, but no judder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts