GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That I am a Skyline owner!

Been toying with the idea of buying an 3 Door Cosworth for track/drift use so I thought I'd check out the RS Owners Club forums and see if there is any useful info and good cars for sale on it.

First post I see is something along the lines of "Rob, you are a To55er!"

Then it got worse!

Makes me glad that Skyline owners are a little more restrained, respectul and generally more mature!

I'd like a Cosworth but the image that comes with it is really putting me off! Also please let me know if you come across any 3 Doors for sale. Road or rally/race spec.

Cheers guys

James

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
James

Try one before you buy it. Perhaps you won't like it :p although I've done some pretty nice drifting with the 3D Cosworth I used to own. Lots of smoke, not only from the tires :smokin: but also from the engine, consumed like a liter per 100 km :) due to completely worn down turbo's. It did give a special effect though :D :D :D

Andre.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Andre

You are a Class A nutcase :)

"added effect" LOL! Yeah, you're right though. I do need to try one before I buy. Are you quite knowledgable on Cosworths Andre? Do you think it would be cheaper to buy a shell and build it from scratch? All I want in it is a full working dash and two seats. There's a LHD shell for sale for £1K. Think it's worth buying and then purchasing the parts from a written off Cossie?

James

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Message from one Nutcase to Another..

I used to be quite knowledgable but I traded knowledge about a 500 block for 24U :smokin: hehe.
LHD shell for 1K is not too bad especially if it's a Motorsport shell. You'd be best of seam-welding it with a nice low-weight full cage in it. Will cost something like 4000-6000 quid over here. You'd need that as a good basis because the shell is not very strong, at least not as strong as an R32 let alone R33 and R34. Then you could take the parts of a written off Cossie. As an alternative, you could start to look for GrpA parts, like 9" diff and a decent gearbox, not the Borg Waner that breaks into pieces above 300 horse. Quaife also have various parts like diff, sequential gearbox etc. that might come in handy.
At the end of the day, it all comes down again on money :( Perhaps you should look out for something existing. Before I went for the Skyline, I visited a company in the neighbourhood of Silverstone. Can't remember the name, something with I... or so. It was someone who used to race national saloons, like Andy Middlehurst and Graham Goode. They had made a lightweight 2WD Saphire with 16" center lock wheels, custom hubs etc. That would have been nice for you. There should be opportunities like these around.

Andre.:smokin:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice

Yeah, I think I'll start looking around in Autosport etc. for trackday/race cars. Then just get a dodgy MOT done :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Budget

Say around £7K

Must be white or grey :)

Cheers dude. Think I'll be back in Laren/Hilversum over Xmas to see some friends. Might have to give you a call. It's about time we had a beer or two! I'll see you in die wallen! :)

James

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Problem is, many of those cars are badly ragged, specially at that price. I'd deeply consider something like an S13 200SX; you ought to be able to get a nicely tuned one for that money and it'd wicked fun on the track.

G

·
Driftaholic said:

First post I see is something along the lines of "Rob, you are a To55er!"
I take it you mean the thread 'Sean Bicknall - you to55er!'. Try reading it, those guys know eachother.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
This is still

the nicest BB to use that I have found. It's easy on the eye, easy to use and loads quickly, which is good for me with only a 56k connection :)
First rate members too.

Cem, don't EVER let anyone talk you into allowing pictures in sigs! :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe

I was a bit hasty. Been reading it now and it's not that bad! I take back what I said....kinda

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im with slippyr4 on this one

Dont do it man, go the sx route, cheaper and you wont have that nasty ford cloud hanging over your head:)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
james i have a mate who is selling one its a very clean car with a few mods and its up for about 5grand if your interested let me know.

Tony

1 - 16 of 16 Posts