GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I SORN'd my car a the end of Nov, we then has a mild Dec so i regretted doing it. Now not driven the car for about 8 weeks and am thinking of Taxing it again as im fed up of not being able to take it for a spin. But think the weather could be really bad in Feb.

Who else SORN's there car for winter months and dp u find it hard not being able to drive it??

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is the first winter it's been off the road, mostly because I did my achilles in the autumn.

Otherwise it would still live in the garage and get used any dry day we have, it's a modern all wheel drive car. Give it a good wash to remove salt deposits otherwise I can't imagine any reason not to use it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mine has been parked for half of December (as I was on holiday) and most of January as I have purchased another run around due to the weather. Mine is still taxed so if the weather picks up I can take it out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's mainly coz of the salt on the roads i dont wanna use it through the winter.
Ive only done it once before with my EVO years ago every other car ive had ive always kept Tax'd and just used in good weather through the winter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In the past few weeks we have had some lovely winter weather here in Switzerland and I have no qualms at all taking it out in sub zero temps on icy roads or in snow.

I do have proper winter tyres fitted and you have to be cautious with the loud pedal (in really bad conditions I put it into save mode) but otherwise I see no reason not to use it in winter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts
What's the problem with tax? You just tax it and opt to pay monthly, then SORN it again when you park it up. I work overseas so I do this every time I'm home and SORN when I leave.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's not like they don't have any underseal protection at all folks. Granted it's poor under there, but give it a good clean when you come back from a run and it should be fine.

Don't let the worry of a few corroded bolts stop you from having a lovely blast on a sunny, winters day :)

The GT-R only comes out for fun, using a crappy run around, so if it's icy or snowy then it stays tucked up.

I fancied a run yesterday, drove around for half the day, did a couple 100 miles. Great fun. Came back, up on the kerb, snow foamed the life out of the underside, took my time with the arches. Clean as a whistle!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I SORN mine from October to April mainly due to salt and the state of the roads up in Scotland although the pot holes don’t seem to be as bad this year.

I have always had a second car and I recently upgraded my second car to a 2018 S4. It’s not as fun as the GT-R but it satisfies me during the colder months. I have one of them Karcher chassis cleaners for my cars and I was amazed at the amount of crap that came off the underside of the S4. Definitely worth investing in one if you drive your car over the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I SORN mine from October to April mainly due to salt and the state of the roads up in Scotland although the pot holes don’t seem to be as bad this year.

I have always had a second car and I recently upgraded my second car to a 2018 S4. It’s not as fun as the GT-R but it satisfies me during the colder months. I have one of them Karcher chassis cleaners for my cars and I was amazed at the amount of crap that came off the underside of the S4. Definitely worth investing in one if you drive your car over the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not so bad if u got an S4 as a daily, my daily is a Caddy van so not quite the same LOL.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Think I'll pull mine out later and stick my trade plates on it Dean :smokin:
I'm not paying £50 tax just for 3 hours :chuckle:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think I'll pull mine out later and stick my trade plates on it Dean :smokin:
I'm not paying £50 tax just for 3 hours :chuckle:
Would be nice to have that option, can see me taxing mine in Feb. Going to Combe end of March so will need to tax beginning of March anyway.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Hadn***8217;t driven mine in a month but that was due to me being out of the country.

Got back last week and the Datsun has its first outing today. Will give it a clean later this week but have always taxed all my cars all year round.

Going to try to organise a get together towards the end of the month. Will see who the hardcore guys are as it will happen rain, snow or sunshine.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
mine is a daily driver, so its out in all weathers come rain snow or wind.
plus I don't have a garage so if its frosty it gets doused in de icer.
but the heated seats work and it soon warms up so all is good.
if I had a garage maybe I would think differently. but I like driving it so I think I would still use it more often than a lot of people.:double-finger:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have to use mine all year as it's my only car.

I jet wash regularly but could do with a decent Traffic Film Remover (TFR) to apply via the foam lance. Car is matt black and has Litchfield's paint protection spray so will handle an aggressive TFR.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have to use mine all year as it's my only car.

I jet wash regularly but could do with a decent Traffic Film Remover (TFR) to apply via the foam lance. Car is matt black and has Litchfield's paint protection spray so will handle an aggressive TFR.

Any recommendations?
Id try a good snow foam before TFR, Bilt Hamber autofoam is really good.

·
Administrator
31,406 Posts
It's not like they don't have any underseal protection at all folks. Granted it's poor under there, but give it a good clean when you come back from a run and it should be fine.

Don't let the worry of a few corroded bolts stop you from having a lovely blast on a sunny, winters day :)
Word is they rust a damn sight worse than just a few bolts.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts