GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Think I'll pull mine out later and stick my trade plates on it Dean :smokin:
I'm not paying £50 tax just for 3 hours :chuckle:
As someone who just taxes when they want to use it, the first payment at the end of the month isn't taken until the start of next month. I think it's £90 odd. Anyway, last time I used it, I ended up re-sorn'ing before the first payment was taken, so it didn't cost me anything.

That said, I've paid for plenty of months where I forgot to SORN or didn't use it, so nice to have one back.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hadn’t driven mine in a month but that was due to me being out of the country.

Got back last week and the Datsun has its first outing today. Will give it a clean later this week but have always taxed all my cars all year round.

Going to try to organise a get together towards the end of the month. Will see who the hardcore guys are as it will happen rain, snow or sunshine.
I'm near you, if I'm home I'll be up for that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Word is they rust a damn sight worse than just a few bolts.
Oh, I know this..bit tongue in cheek comment. Take advice from your servicer about the state of corrosion underneath and stay on top of it is all you can do.

My point is just use the bloody thing. There'll always be something on the road to potentially damage your car.

Saturday. Covered in crap, parked next to the sea. I like to live dangerously ;)

IMG_20190126_153436_100 by PaulH0070, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Lol. There was a guy at Litchfields when I was buying mine who pretty much ignored their advice on the state of the underside of his car, service after service. Iain was just shaking his head telling me the story, 'easy' fix became a very expensive one.
Done the same years ago with a Fella who'd personally imported a grey 1995 Mitsubishi FTO which sadly was scrapped long before it should have been. He ignored all advice and laughed at Our dire rust warnings because "It drove so bloody well, Nothing too serious could go wrong". Japanese reliability eh?

Can still see His absolutely gutted face when it failed its very last MOT with eighteen significant holes in its structure...:rotz:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Because i can still enjoy the car and that's what I bought it for.

For me, it's way too much money to spend on something that lives under a cover for 4 months of the year. I can't justify that.

All us owners are different obviously, but I probably won't own the car for long enough to miss out on an opportunity to go out and enjoy it.

Some of my most memorable drives have been in the winter, out early on a frosty morning and driving into a beautiful sunrise. Bloody marvelous.

I don't have to be driving flat out to enjoy it, I just like driving it whenever I can ***x1f642;

·
Registered
91 Posts
slightly different reason for not using my car here,but at least its not rusting away right now I suppose....?

...so I have only been able to drive my car once in the last 3 weeks:(

Every house in my street has at least a 2 car driveway + garage.

The trouble is every household seems to have at least 4 cars and of which.All of them seem to be complete shItboxes!

...I keep a Navara on my drive,while the GTR is in the garage.

but none of my neighbours seem to be able to use their garage or driveway and prefer to park astride the road/pavement clogging up the entire bluddy street!

I simply cannae move the Navara to anyplace(nearby) in order to get said GTR out

does my bluddy head in.Honestly it does,not even funny:mad:

·
Ooo Matron !
2,007 Posts
but none of my neighbours seem to be able to use their garage or driveway and prefer to park astride the road/pavement clogging up the entire bluddy street!
I'm the only person where I live to put their car in their garage, but everyone else does (most of the the time) put their car on their drive.

Everyone else's garage is either a) bricked up and turned into another room or b) it's full of their general shite. But because I don't fill mine with shite, it does mean our house is instead full of said shite !

·
Ooo Matron !
2,007 Posts
I've never taken any car off the road in the winter. I mean, there are millions of cars driving around all winter because their owners don't take them off the road.

A GT-R is a modern car, it's not made of cardboard and it's not going to rot away because you drive it in the winter.

We are not taking about cars built in the 1970s here, i.e. when they would turn into a pile of rusted metal after 12 months !

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I couldn't take it anymore so tax'd the car today and been out for a spin, was some salt on the roads but the roads were nice a dry so the car didn't even get noticeably dirty.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've just been cleaning my RGV up, had some very slight corrosion on the chain adjusters, not enough to worry about, so I've gone round it with ACF50. It literally looks brand new! It's clean anyway, but any slight hint of brown is gone. Supposed to provide a winter's worth of protection, seems like good stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,796 Posts
Because i can still enjoy the car and that's what I bought it for.
For me, it's way too much money to spend on something that lives under a cover for 4 months of the year. I can't justify that.
Some of my most memorable drives have been in the winter, out early on a frosty morning and driving into a beautiful sunrise. Bloody marvelous.
I don't have to be driving flat out to enjoy it, I just like driving it whenever I can ***x1f642;
+1 totally agree, and feel the same with mine! :smokin:

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I***8217;ve taken mine off the road since December (like everyone, because of the salt etc).
Not driving for such a long time kills me. My only satisfaction is too visit it in the garage and just sit in it for 5 mins or so. It***8217;s all very well undersealed etc but still don***8217;t want risk my pride and joy. The pain though is torture

·
Registered
145 Posts
so far the only part of a gtr I own is a set of ceramic discs and pads but as soon as I get the other 99% the first thing ill do is get it up on the ramp and hit the underside with a gallon of clear waxoil. I wish id done that with the other cars I have but that wasn't an option at the time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I’ve taken mine off the road since December (like everyone, because of the salt etc).
Not driving for such a long time kills me. My only satisfaction is too visit it in the garage and just sit in it for 5 mins or so. It’s all very well undersealed etc but still don’t want risk my pride and joy. The pain though is torture
If id had my car a while i dont think it would bother me so much but only buying it in Sept means id only driven it a handful of times.
Was watching Mr JWW on Youtube earlier and he was out in this weather in a £600k+ 599 GTO and seeing many other youtubers driving there Lambos even things like F40s in this weather made me think bugger it, the roads are dry im getting my car out.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts