GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to run a Z32 AFM in my ER34 and will be fitting in a Power FC. I've also got lying around the MAP sensor for the Power FC that would enable the ecu to read boost reading.

My question is, is there anything wrong with concurrently running both MAP & AFM? Or should the Z32 AFM be discarded and just run on MAP?

Pretty blur on this. Appreciate any comment/info appreciated.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong here, but to run MAP on the PFC, you need a D-Jetro kit, which then stops using the AFM - and what would be the point/advantage of having both anyway?? Not sure if the actual PFC computer itself is different between L-Jetro (AFM) and D-Jetro (MAP) - though IIRC they're a different part # ...

however, there is also a boost control kit for the PFC L-jetro which uses a MAP sensor to read boost - is this what you're talking about?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frostmotorsport, yes you're right. I got the boost kit to enable the PFC to read the boost. But it does not control boost. It's not a controller. Mine is a PFC L-Jetro with a MAP sensor. So what's the pro and cons or running both MAP and AFM?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
again, I'm no PFC expert - I run a L-jetro with seperate Boost controller. The PFC boost kit consists of a solenoid, MAP sensor and harness - and does indeed control boost. Though I've heard some less than good feedback on it - basically that it's a "learning" boost control - so over time it softens how hard the boost comes on and you have to go into the computer and change a setting to get it to start again and go back to how it was - ask Kismet Captain about it!

The D-Jetro versions use MAP sensors to meter airflow etc, however I'm not aware you can plug a MAP sensor into an L-Jetro version for "monitoring" - again, someone on here may know better! Even if you could run MAP and AFM, it would only use the MAP for monitoring, not metering. I don't know of any aftermarket ECU that uses both!

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
L jetro runs map to read boost not to control timing/igniiton
Im not too sure what the question is but you can run both , which is the norm on L but read above.
I got the boost kit to enable the PFC to read the boost. But it does not control boost
Yes it does ....
you can most definatly make the boost controller both control and read and adjust boost levels...thats what its for.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You can plug in the Apexi MAP sensor without the control solenoid to read boost only, to control boost also requires the boost control solenoid. Either way, as Glenn said it has no effect on the mapping.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's right. I do not have the boost control solenoid. So I can run MAP sensor just to monitor boost and at the same time run my AFM as well? Or I can discard the AFM?

·
Registered
858 Posts
You need a boost control solenoid to control the boost, and D-Jetro to do away with the AFMs. D-Jetro uses MAP as the load signal - there is no way of getting the standard L-Jetro PFC to do this.

Your sensor will give you a boost reading, nothing else.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
So I can run MAP sensor just to monitor boost and at the same time run my AFM as well
Ok, The L setup uses AFM's to tell the brain what the engine is doing, You plug the factory GTR MAP sensor into the ECU to monitor boost off the hand controller.
To "controll or adjust boost" you need the PFC boost controller solenoid / which also uses the FACTORY GTR MAP sensor.

Most people use the L type ECU to Tune the engine + an aftermarket boost controller to set and adjust boost, you can still monitor boost levels off the hand controller (commander) because you split the factory signal off the factory MAP (I think on the firewall behind engine) and send that signal to the ecu.

ok ??

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. I get it now. Thanks a lot guys for the explanation. Thus I'll be running MAP for monitoring purposes and AFM for my ECU to read the signals. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts