GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
mapping

one of the main purposes of a forum like this is to have information at a touch of a button.if you"ve just bought a skyline (or any car)and you havent a clue about prices or garage locations aquick click onthe search button and away you go.it will give you arough guide of things,saving you to ring up several different garages for a quote (usualy getting an answere machine)and im a lazy git.so in my opion all threads like this are spot on.just need afew garages to post prices up.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
exactly what herman says. I work hard for my money to keep my car on the road, so i'd like to know how i'll be spending my money. Prices are always gonna be varied, and some of us cant afford to get ripped off, and i think it should be exposed.

People always talk about 'skyline tax', but we could something about that. Expose rip off garages, and they'll have to lower prices to be competitive.

You'd all love to expose a rogue plumber, or a rip off sparkie, but we shouldn't do it to what is ultimately a mechanic?

I dont think it should stop there. How bout re-builds, clutch changes, turbo removal/refit etc etc.

You moan to everyone bout the prices of things you need. Gas, electric, train fares, bread and milk etc, but keep closed about a rip off mechanic.

Crazy world!

P.S, i take my hat off to Tweenie for jumping straight on this thread.

Dean j

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This is slightly piece of string stuff. In general terms you should not expect to use more than a full tank, in reality less than a full tank.

Much of what TR has said is valid. However you also should allow for the complexity of the ECU you are having mapped and your build. If a Tuner already has a good base map for your build then its a case of simply tweaking to suit the specific engine (easy money). If they haven't, then you may be picking up effectively whatever 'development' cost the Tuner chooses to apply. Yes, life isn't fair.

It is also is true to add, if you want a race fuel map, whilst this is not a complete remap, it does take time, which costs money. Plus the fuel. Plus they have to run your road fuel down before you put it in.

I always deliver with a near full tank and include 25L of race fuel if that is being done too.

Throw in how much refinement you want, plus if you want every ounce of power squeezing out, that all adds time and cost. How the Tuner charges for that I'm sure is down to each Tuner, TR has given you his approach.

In basic terms, for a non-complex car, between 1/2 and one day should do it, assuming no problems and you have supplied necessary fuel. £500 max? Ask for an estimate beforehand! Should they find any major issues then further work should be discussed, clarified, priced and cleared with you first.

And ALWAYS ask for copies of ALL the dyno runs, then you KNOW how many they have done and when. Plus its useful information for the future.

Garages will, by definition suggest something to you if they spot something they think is some area for improvement on the car, this of course may not be part of your plan! You always have the option to say no.

In the end, if you are told you need a bigger fuel pump after mods for example, then that may be the case. If you think it isn't, and it really isn't, its time to move on.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Some tuners have nothing to hide and are straight up honest people. They do this work because they love it, and I strongly believe that this information should be shared because it is exactly that kind of person who deserves more business.

I'll plug for Tweenie here - he's half a world away, yet my car has avoided catastrophe with his advice. I'm in Korea - he can't make anything off me on a rebuild or a map, yet he cares about these cars first. That counts for A LOT.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I would have thought price was the least important factor when getting someone to map a car. Heck bring it to me. I'll do it for free..... you're engine might not last but it's cheap!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Fuggles I would have thought price was the least important factor when getting someone to map a car. Heck bring it to me. I'll do it for free..... you're engine might not last but it's cheap!
The purpose of this thread has already been illustrated.

Peoples history, experiences, along with price paid and breakdown of how it was priced.

This helps future buyers/current buyers. They are all adults and can choose whichever tuner they wish. They may and may not make a decision dictated by price but they might choose someone who is totally straightforward and transparent with a reputation to boot.

Hope youre not trying to kill the thread off Mr Fuggles!:D

Where do you get your cars tuned or last tuned?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I think there should be threads like this! People want to take they're cars to the best that they can afford, or who is within easy reach. It'd be good to hear of peoples experiences. Not just mapping neither, but any sort of tuning/repairs etc.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Not trying to kill the thread at all. But I have no idea how much each mapping session has cost me over the years with two GTRs and three Stageas. I'm not made of money but for me it has always been about the quality of the tuner and what I want to achieve which is, for me, the prime concern. Just so you know as well I've used four different people so it's not about favouritism either :)

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
I wont go into details as it would be unjust but here are my thoughts on the four mappers:
1 is very precise and takes a lot of time and builds from the ground up. Therefore costs more than the others but it does mean you get a good map suited to my needs. Ideal perhaps for if you want perfection and a power car but safely mapped.
2 uses a base map to start from and always maps very safely. Good for every day use and not as expensive or time consuming
3 uses base maps as well but is perhaps a little more aggressive in the mapping. This gets a more responsive car I guess but still less expensive than the first and quite a good map
4 didn't really use that much, he did a good base map but I never got the chance to see what he could really do for no reason of his own. The car was good and responsive but I sold it soon after and I always felt there was more to be had.

Perhaps this response gives you something to think about when talking to tuners rather than me listing who did what etc. All I can say is if I'm not happy I will tell them but I will also be very specific about what I want achieved and will discuss beforehand all items relevent such as levels of boost to go for, target performance etc. Whatever the result you have to be comfortable with who you use and my preference is to remain with one person over a period of time rather than chopping and changing around. That said I've owned several cars and have used different people depending on the car. For example, right now I have two Stageas and one GTR and use two garages to do all the work.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
this is just weird. Tuning shops are very careful with their customers in Korea, and will bend over backwards to sort out an issue with an unhappy customer.

BECAUSE, shoddy work gets reported on the web straightaway, and the reputation of a mechanic can be destroyed. Keeps them honest, doesn't it?

But here, protecting the names of mechanics who have screwed you, or made mistakes on your car that cost you time and money...there always seems to be this little dance around actually specifying the guilty party. Bullshit, really, and very uninformative. And as anyone schooled in economics knows, information imbalance is what causes power differentials and the possibility of making extra money off you. Yet truly free markets only work when the playing field is level.

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
Kismet, what your suggesting is not new - it was discussed to death on the tuner thread and isn't going to happen.
This thread is purely about mapping and peoples experiences and costs, to turn it into a who, what, why, where, and when thread isn't going to achieve anything imho.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I found the art of good mapping is 7 parts skill, 1 part luck and 2 parts illusion. :chuckle:

I'm lucky I'll never be in this boat, but Rob's basically spelt out how it should be.

Lyndon.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Lots of good points on this thread.

Depends what people are after, if its the cheapest mapping session, then we get into a price war and we are not talking about buying a washing machine.

There are a lot of different types of Skyline, and a million different parts, which makes tuning and mapping different on every car, which can be changed further more with the age and condition of each vehicle.

Prices should only be compared on unit items, such as new parts. Even used parts are priced according to has them at the time and their reason / desparation for sale.

To conclude, there is an accepted cost for mapping. If someone told you GBP4k, then you tell them to stick it, those who try to add costs should be avoided, and there is also a certain amount of resposibility on the buyer to actually ask the question of price, not to ask for a load of work to be done and then have an argument when they see the bill

My 10p :)

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
To conclude, there is an accepted cost for mapping. If someone told you GBP4k, then you tell them to stick it, those who try to add costs should be avoided, and there is also a certain amount of resposibility on the buyer to actually ask the question of price, not to ask for a load of work to be done and then have an argument when they see the bill
From my own personal experience of witnessing how such arguements break out in the first place I would say one thing in addition to that Moff. It's a businesses responsibility to know the difference between an estimate and a quotation, it would appear that some don't.

·
Registered
858 Posts
When I first got my car, though I'd done some mapping on other cars I thought I would start off safe and paid for an established tuner who was previously known as the God of Thunder to map it under a 'set price' scheme. What I got was an exact copy of a base map I later found on the net.

It was this waste of money that pushed me to buying datalogit, WB etc and I've completely re-done it myself over the last 4 years with no problems, and a decent increase in driveability.

In fairness the actual guy who did the mapping in the first place has now left that employer so what they are doing now might be perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So many owners on here and yet a couple of applicable responses only.

Come on guys this is helpful to everyone.

Have you had mapping?
What was the cost?
Extras on top? such as fuel? How much?
Where?

Or do you not know due to it being included in a build and you weren't told?

No stories, just facts!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I also think this is a good thread and am surprised people seem reluctant to contribute.
Dont really think it is relevant but my FCon mapping cost NZ$1000 and less than half a tank of 98ULP if I remeber correctly.

What I am interested in, is what is the effort ( and therefore cost) of the mapping changes required for a small change such as a decat/free'er flowing exhaust?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts