GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies & Gentlemen,

First post from a long time lurker but now a very happy (one week old) owner of a DMG Premium R35.

Picked up the car from Marshall's last week. Overall extremely content less for one small issue. I had the car Smartguarded prior to delivery (interior and exterior). I am aware of the arguments concerning value for money versus a good detail etc and I don't want the thread to degenerate into 'waste of money' et al.

What I have noticed is that I have 2 white marks on the bulkhead plastic trim to the rear of the driver and next to the rear seats (photo attached if I have the necessary permissions). This may be Smartguard residue (I have seen similar in the past on my Permagarded M3) but it will not shift despite the Marshall technician suggesting I try Autoglym tar and bug remover. Didn't work.

What concerns me is that the white marks are consistent with deformed or bent plastic where the pressure can cause discolouration from the original colour (in this case anthracite / dark grey). Where the passenger side rear trim is smooth inside the contoured bulkhead the driver's side has 2 'ridges' or raised areas at the same point as the white marks. I would be grateful if owners could check their cars and ket me know if this is normal.

If I'm lucky it is simply residue which can be removed at the optimisation service in a couple of weeks. If not I suspect that the trim may need to be replaced and I fear that this will be a big job, necessitating removal of the rear seats etc unless someone tells me otherwise.

Very grateful for your advice / replies.

Many thanks.

Marders

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
What concerns me is that the white marks are consistent with deformed or bent plastic where the pressure can cause discolouration from the original colour (in this case anthracite / dark grey). Where the passenger side rear trim is smooth inside the contoured bulkhead the driver's side has 2 'ridges' or raised areas at the same point as the white marks. I would be grateful if owners could check their cars and ket me know if this is normal.
Certainly not normal, and i agree that it looks like deformed plastic (from the photos posted).

Edit: Welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the swift replies. I have sent the pictures (along with others) to Marshall's general manager and expect a reply early next week.

Can you confirm that the surface of the rear bulkhead trim on the driver's side is completely smooth / flat (less the obvious contours) on your cars?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
If you gently warm the area with a hot air gun the white marks will dissapear. I worked in the plastics industry when i were a lad and we used to use this trick on the TV cases we made.........certainly worth a try :thumbsup:
Dave.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Personally, I would suggest you have the panel replaced under warranty by Marshalls....hope they sort out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is more than simply Smartguard residue (as the 'bumps' in the plastic suggest) and cannot be solved easily then I will insist on a new rear bulkhead trim.

My concern is that in order to remove and replace will require removal of the driver's seat (for access) and the rear seat. I suspect that the rear trim is one of the first things to go in during production rather than the last (unless someone can confirm differently). My worry is that when it is all put back together again it won't be quite the same with rattles etc.

Waiting for a reply to my e-mail from the HPC and will post when I have an update.

Thanks for the comments / advice so far. Appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts