GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
LOL

so, in conclusion.

A lighter car, will corner and brake better than a heavier one.

----

Just to add to the stupidity of Mycrofts argument I'll add a few other randomly thought up "examples".

A car with bicycle tyres will beat a car with racing slicks on if you manage to tune the chassis so that all of the disadvantages of the bicycle tyres are counteracted and you create no disadantages whilst doing so. The reason is that the bicycle tyres create less drag.

A car with no fuel in it, will out perform a car with fuel in it, if you find a way to make the engine run on fresh air to the same performance as it would on fuel. As you don't have to carry the weight of the fuel around.

A car which has no steering machanism will be just as fast as a regular car if you can get it to go round corners at will.

All the best
Simon

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Re: LOL

SDB said:

Just to add to the stupidity of Mycrofts argument I'll add a few other randomly thought up "examples".

A car with bicycle tyres will beat a car with racing slicks on if you manage to tune the chassis so that all of the disadvantages of the bicycle tyres are counteracted and you create no disadantages whilst doing so. The reason is that the bicycle tyres create less drag.

A car with no fuel in it, will out perform a car with fuel in it, if you find a way to make the engine run on fresh air to the same performance as it would on fuel. As you don't have to carry the weight of the fuel around.

A car which has no steering machanism will be just as fast as a regular car if you can get it to go round corners at will.

All the best
Simon
Bad day at the orifice? :D

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Re: How dissapointing

SDB said:
How disappointing.
Nah, you have been hilarious! :D

SDB said:
Have fun. I should be able to pop back in tomorrow.
Personally, I will be filled to the brim with anticipation, I await your impending return with a heart filled with joy... honest, not an ounce of sarcasm at all...;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
use the following words as part of a constructive sentence.

black, troll, with, kettle, on, pot, uncharactristic, fun, calling.

Paul

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Yes I agree with you, he shouldn't come over here trolling, not the most edifying spectacle.

1/. He is no good at it.
2/. He shouldn't impinge on the good nature of Cem, myself and the rest of us.
3/. He should leave it for you to do, you are equally as useless but at least you don't run a website.

Almost forgot,

''All the best''

hahaha :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
If anyone feels the questions in this thread have not been fully answered, please post and I'll do my best.

Mycroft

Launching personal attacks for no specific reason shows weakness of character and an incredible insecurity.

You do your self enormous discredit with posts like the last.

All the best

Simon

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Oh goody, I have a question.

2 cars, one has 400hp the other 200hp they both have the same CdA... the 400hp car weighs twice as much as the 200hp car... which has the higher terminal speed if the gearing is optimised for each?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Following that... if you set the gearing so that both cars 'topped out' at [say] 150mph and both had 'boxes with similar ratios, which car would accelerate faster... this being a simple 'disposable' power question...

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Then taking it further, if both cars can generate equal lateral G will there be an advantage for the heavier car during the transition from predominant combined lateral adhesion co-efficients to simple singular co-efficient. Do you agree with the leading authority on this subject that there would be some 18% greater available traction during this time? [cube root of 2, simplified corollary]

Almost forgot,

''All the best''

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Agreed, Mycroft :)

But why don't you use the "edit" function and not postwhore ;) :rolleyes: :eek: ?

For some reason, I think you have changed the technical topic :confused:

Oh, and there are two types of drag coefficient measurements:

One normal one
One other that takes into account the car's cross section - which one is this?

Cancelling out all factors so that they are constant/same/different spec but provide same benefit to both cars (for example, suitable tires may vary from car to car based on wheel size, wheelbase, but this should possibly be same), a lighter car will have better acceleration.

But as "my man" :) said, a larger car will achieve the higher terminal speed, due to the afformentioned traction, and increased high speed stability.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
LSR said:
But why don't you use the "edit" function and not postwhore ;) :rolleyes: :eek: ?
Separate questions for clarity.

As someoen who regularly posts the longest single posts of the week if I were a 'moses' type character my post count would be in the 10's of thousands. :D

LSR said:
For some reason, I think you have changed the technical topic :confused:
No, I don't think so, the question was fairly 'open' so there is the opportunity to broaden the whole issue.

Add to this the predominance of my first post on this thread in the following 4 or 5 pages and the general muddying of the waters by others, some clarity was called for.

LSR said:
Oh, and there are two types of drag coefficient measurements:

One normal one
One other that takes into account the car's cross section - which one is this?
Cd gives the overall co-efficient, it has 'some' value but is only half the story.

CdA is the one that counts, this is the co-efficient of drag x area of frontal silhouette.

LSR said:
Cancelling out all factors so that they are constant/same/different spec but provide same benefit to both cars (for example, suitable tires may vary from car to car based on wheel size, wheelbase, but this should possibly be same), a lighter car will have better acceleration.
Sad to say tyre type is not the issue, and acceleration is a matter of disposable power. Therefore what you say is entirely wrong.

LSR said:
But as "my man" :) said, a larger car will achieve the higher terminal speed, due to the afformentioned traction, and increased high speed stability.
I don't know who 'your man' is but traction has nothing to do with top speed nor has stability. Top speed is a power thing, pure and simple.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well, it wouldn't be entirely silly to assume the power to weight ratio when the power is measured AT THE WHEELS would favour the heavier car.

But the lighter car might be running something like a lightweight transaxle with minimal transmission losses that are half that of the heavier car too.

But I doubt the losses in a skyline are double that of an Impreza.

My car is heavy compared to an Impreza, so I'm very keen for heavy cars to claw back an advantage somehow!

Paul

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Pavlo said:
Well, it wouldn't be entirely silly to assume the power to weight ratio when the power is measured AT THE WHEELS would favour the heavier car.

But the lighter car might be running something like a lightweight transaxle with minimal transmission losses that are half that of the heavier car too.

But I doubt the losses in a skyline are double that of an Impreza.

My car is heavy compared to an Impreza, so I'm very keen for heavy cars to claw back an advantage somehow!

Paul
So what you are saying in your own uniquely mealy-mouthed way is that what I have been saying all along has been right. :D

61 - 80 of 126 Posts