GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious has anyone one here painted there car Matte black and how is it to care for is it the same any other colour. cant you wax and polish it like normal cant it be cleaned the same or is there special ways of dealing with it?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Don't wax or seal it... The whole idea is that it stays matte and isn't shiny. Some I've seen that have been waxed can go quite blotchy.
Just wash it, and some people will use a Quick Detail spray to aid a bit of water run off and protection but thats about it at the mo.

Hope that helps.
Alex.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
No no, if anything easier... A more care free finish anyway. Just wash it and walk away. Most matte blacks are wraps so if a section or panel does get ruined it can be replaced relatively easily.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Black & white will always look dirtier quicker whether clearcoted or matte..... I did see a Range Rover Sport the other week wrapped in a matte gunmetal / titanium with black wheels and it looked stunning :thumb: ... Wouldn't show the dirt as easily either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea that sounds quite nice ive got an r32 gtr in gun grey metalic and hoping to get a r33 gtr in march and wanna do something a little different so was thinking matte black for that rude look or was thinking to go a little crazy with a burnt orange. or maybe just got gun grey. cant make up my mind i think the matte would be my favorite but i dont have no experience with it and i have never had a good look at a wraped car to see the quality i was thinking of actually doing a ground up restoration/mod so was thinking of actually painting it in matte but will have to look into the wrap i guess.

·
Registered
158 Posts
on the cleaning side of things i think Alex has got it spot on, as for getting it sprayed it is very hard to get Matte colours to be done properly so dont go for cheapest option. the wrap is good but has been known to peel when stone chipped etc.
the Gun metal matte wrap range has a private plate and is in north london, unless there is another. also seen matte white on sl55

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I'd be wary about spraying matte.... (I'm no expert painter but I know paint), if you turned that shiny / blotchy etc etc the only thing to do is spray over again, either by a pro, or just with rattle cans.... Personally if I had to choose I'd go down the wrap route.

However, if your gonna do a restoration, then I'd paint properly from the start, just my opinion of course but it really finishes the car properly.

Pontio - Yep, thats exactly the RR. Theres tonnes up this way... matte white R8, countless black Ranges, beemers, mercs, seen the matte orange Porsche as well which actually looked pretty good in the flesh.

:).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea maybe your rite the wrap is the way to go maybe i should paint it in the burnt orange or gun grey and then i can wrap it in the matte and then i have the best of both in a sense

·
Registered
368 Posts
I took this pic of one i saw at the Ace Cafe. As you can see dirt does show up on it but only if your looking very closley
Personaly, i like the look.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I have to say dont really like the Matt black look, a bit too chavy for my liking.
;)
bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am the owner of the black R32

It is actually Satin Black.

It catches dust like any black car but it is easy to wash like any other car.
To be honest i do not wash the car much anyway :chuckle:

Proper matt black would give you a blackboard effect which could be pretty difficult to live with.

I may consider a nice 3M vehicle wrapping like you see on some of the supercars.

Vehicle wrapping is a quick, clean, durable & affordable alternative.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
My god that looks mean as hell.

Robbie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.