GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Matt,
Any news regarding your Auto box?. Hopefully you have managed to sort something out.

PaulP.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
:) hiya Paul... half way there! Ive found a gearbox, care of RK Racing... now just have to find a way of paying for it! gotta pick the right time to hit my parents!!! 'hopefully' they can sort it!!! also have a visit to the tax man... :) should be able to sort a tax rebate after changing from my old company car, and changing jobs... :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matts plight

Matt,
I wish you well, I had to do the same a couple of years ago when I had a new Fan belt fitted on a Rover 220gti by a local Mobile Mechanic!!, Well lets just say that it wasn't fitted properly and cames off and wrapping itself around the cam belt pulley therefore varoius valves and such became buggered!!, cost to repair £850.00. Had to tap my mom and dad, as they always say, "Even when your kids leave home, They are always a burden financially". Oh..too true dad!!!!. I am sure all parents would hate to see their kids feel down and dejected.

Good luck anyway, Is Ron going to fit it for you?.

PaulP.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Matt, just out of interest is it an auto box and how much did it cost? I hope I don't ever end up in the same plight as yourself but you do have my sympathy. Lets hope this finally gets you mobile.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Matt,

Just to let you know you're not alone in financial plights to keep Nissans finest running.

I've only got a lowly ( ;) ) S13 200SX, and up to a fortnight ago, I'd just finished max'ing my credit card, and pretty much going as overdrawn as I could. In the name of car maintenance and modification.

The car is an auto' - So, fine choice in gearboxes there, pardner ;)

But anyways, I got it to a stage where I was quite content to leave it for a little while. roughly 'stage one' tuned.

Had it serviced a fortnight ago.. It ran perfectly..

Went to Billing in it on the Saturday, and it behaved impeccably..

Sunday.. It was rough... something wasn't right..

And now, It's sat in the driveway and won't start.

Worn inlet valves, hideously low compression on No. 2, 3 and 4. and the required head re-con and reassembly. Over a grands worth of work. Even with my SX owners club 10% discount :(

My life stopped for a week and a half. Never struck me how much the SX held such relative power over other areas of my life.

BUT.. just yesterday.. I managed to secure finance to afford the work, just.

The RAC are trailering the car to Norris Designs tommorrow for the work to be carried out.

So yes, anyways. You have my empathies, sometimes it's nice to know you're not alone in such striving. :)

Best of luck in getting the 'box fixed..

:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Money Pit

All performance cars are the same - one big money pit.

But you know it's worth it. :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Some sorta thing with my GTS with a blown manifold two weeks after getting it.

So for all the Rod Bell peeps if you ever hear him say 'oh dear' worry

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just to note, that things DO get better..

On this morning, the very morning I'm transporting my car over to Norris for him to recon the standard head...

I get told of a head, that was recconn'd only a month ago, ported, polished, blue lapped valves... all receipts confirming date and cost of work..

.. which I promtly bought ;)

Will have virtually.. hopefully, should I say.. halved the cost..

Just waiting for the transporter to turn up to carry my sick baby over to Corsham :)

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
should I post this?

Not gloating 'cos I'm the first to feel sympathy for being left without the car of your dreams, (own a DB7 for a few years, you 'll understand), it is for this reason I own a Lex TT, 3+ years serious motoring and nothing goes wrong, nothing, £700 a year maintenance and thats it, 75000mls nothing, zilch, had a new set of turbos waiting, so just turned the pressure up on the old ones to 1.4bar and blew them up, if I hadn't they would most likely still be going strong. remember 330+hp for nearly three years and everything original. All on a '91 Vintage.

My experience is not unique.

I wish you luck with the change over mate, it hurts now, but getting her back and driving her will dispel the gloom of that i'm sure.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
the auto box is costing me £400 without the fitting... and hope fully when that goes in I shouldnt have too many problems for a while, the car is standard and will be staying so, and i dont have delicate turbos spinning away! so heres hoping!!!

I seem to have notoriously bad luck with overpowered toys!bought a 120hp jetboat just under a year ago and that has spent more time being fixed than being afloat... took it out last week... 50 mph all day long! :) great fun! launched her yesterday... BANG!!!! huge backfire which blew part of the exhaust sealing plate off the bottom!!!

Now both my fun toys are awaitng urgent repairs!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
the joy of hipo cars - Went to pick up the 33 from abbey 2 weeks ago - c£200 service no worries excellent.

Then I hear 'bit of a problem, might be a big job', aaaaarrrrggggggghhhhhhh, luckily it's only the intake manifold gasket £100 ish for the manifold c£400 quid to fit, bugger , bugger , bugger. There goes the ££'s I'd got ready for a decent boost controller, and to add insult to gtr injury the wife tells me that a new kitchen is more important than a nice new set of turbos.

Cheers

Iain

S

·
0 Posts
wsurfa said:
to add insult to gtr injury the wife tells me that a new kitchen is more important than a nice new set of turbos.
There should be a special training regime where spouses are sent to, a sort of boot camp, where they are tutored on the important things in life (BHP, 5" pipes with optional flames, HKS blowers etc)

Whilst they are there they could be subliminally retuned to hate all household whitegoods and only allow large TV's and Dolby Digital Amps in the house.

You can buy second hand microwaves and cookers and that sort of crap anyway FFS!

Bless 'em ;)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Kit is more important than Kitchen

wsurfa said:
...and to add insult to gtr injury the wife tells me that a new kitchen is more important than a nice new set of turbos.
Sorry to hear that dude...

Why is it that women just dont understand these things ... bizarre creatures!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would be really p***ed off, but she did let me remortgage the house to buy the car in the first place. :D

Apparently the fact the she earned the money for the kitchen means I can't spend it on 'toys' ???

Pah women - no understanding

Iain

PS Any ideas as to what could 'accidentally' get done to the car at the same time as the exhaust manifold gasket? Last time I blagged to the wife that the cam service meant the camshafts had to be changed...hehe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts