GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told the r33gtst (m) gearbox is one of the strongest? Just wondering what the maximum bhp it can handle as standard? Wouldnt be giving the car too much abuse.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Gearboxes are rated by their torque handling capacity, not BHP. Given near to stock rear wheel and tyre sizes and none slick tyres, used as a track day toy, with NO racing starts off the line I had pretty good reliability from my stock R33 GTS-t gearbox with 360 ft lbs of torque through it. Nothing broke but it had the usual tired synchros after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gearboxes are rated by their torque handling capacity, not BHP. Given near to stock rear wheel and tyre sizes and none slick tyres, used as a track day toy, with NO racing starts off the line I had pretty good reliability from my stock R33 GTS-t gearbox with 360 ft lbs of torque through it. Nothing broke but it had the usual tired synchros after a few thousand miles.
Emm, interesting. The last dyno run was 465 ft lbs of torque.. Maybe i'm pushing it looking for more still.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Should just about manage that if driven like a Christian, but it won't like big shock loadings from brutal gear changes.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Project GTS-T was running something like 900+bhp and drag slicks, doing many 10 sec 1/4's all on a stock box.

Testament to how strong the box is on a RWD application (I am told the GTS-t box uses the same internals as the GTR box)

3,665 Posts
internals are the same ,A GTST will strip thrid gear like a GTR is the car has enough grip ( ie running proper drag slicks) We rebuild the gearboxes with OS Giken internalsincluding larger input shaft,OS Giken strengthened centre plate seem to be able to run pretty good amounts of torque then , but as Chris says it is the shock of launching that will kill a gearbox thats why drag cars runs slipper clutches takes the initial load off of the gearbox.

Mark

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Yep same internals as both r and 300zx t box
Like others have said, its porportional to traction.
If you have grip and 900hp I would doubt it would last long.
The r os gearkit is "rated" to 800hp so in 2wd I would think it would support 1000hp + in a light car.
Mark (Pfitzner) might make a straight cut set of internals.

TBH If its a 2wd drag car, better off going to an auto anyway ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
internals are the same ,A GTST will strip thrid gear like a GTR is the car has enough grip ( ie running proper drag slicks) We rebuild the gearboxes with OS Giken internalsincluding larger input shaft,OS Giken strengthened centre plate seem to be able to run pretty good amounts of torque then , but as Chris says it is the shock of launching that will kill a gearbox thats why drag cars runs slipper clutches takes the initial load off of the gearbox.

Mark

I've heard good things about your work.
What would be the cost of this incl vat?

3,665 Posts
E-mail me on mark(at)abbeymotorsport.co.uk

I will send you a price for the GTST gearbox upgrade , we do a few othe rmods as well to help the boxes survive.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts