GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 questions in one really - I assume that the max boost for standard turbos is c 1.0 bar?

Second question, how accurate is the stock boost gauge?

The max boost I get is slightly above half way - if the scale is linear then this is about 400-500mmHG, as far as I know 1 bar is about 750mmHG. If this is right then I'm sitting on 0.533 to 0.66 bar ie bloody slow.

Any one with info on the accuracy of the stock R33 gauge? I cant believe it's this inaccurate.

Cheers

Iain

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ummm the max boost pressure for the stock skyline turbo's (the garret t28 i think) is around 14psi (or apprx 1 bar). The boost pressure doesn't really matter, because a guy down here in Australia was only running 1 bar boost and he had over 600 hp, but that was a v8 engine so thats a different story.
If you want to crank up the boost pressure i would suggest you make sure your engine could handle it. A mate of mine drags his skyline r32 gt-r, and he has NOS and he is running boost @ 32 psi. His car is street legal and he has a dvd player in it and everything, which i think is stupid. During his last run he blew his manifold and he doesn't know why. He is a rich boy who doesn't know much about cars and he is 20 something, and im only 15 and im telling him all about it and what to do.......ummm i have no idea why i just said that but anyway.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 Bar is fine on the engine as long as all the fuel system is in working order. 1.1 even

You will find that eventually your ceramic wheels will go for a holiday though.. :D

It is more the speed they are spinning than the pressure..

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I think a stock standard R33 will be set to about .7 bar.

The stage one ecu change or boost controller option will allow you to set it where you like.

As has been said 1.0 bar is safe I have heard of people running splash boost of up to 1.2 bar but this is generally regarded as a very bad idea.

hope this helps.

Steve

·
Registered
133 Posts
Stock Turbo Boost.

R33 97 Vspec - 0.84 bar (higher than 95 vspec.)
r34 99 Vspec - 0.93 bar

above figures are quoted from Best Motoring Video.

michael.

·
Registered
598 Posts
std boost

My stock boost gauge has markings up to 0.7bar, however, the car has been rechipped to 0.9bar, so the needle only goes up to its stop.

Don't know about your gauge or what Stage you are running but if you are running normal boost (approx 0.7bar), you will find that without looking at the revmeter you will probably change gear at 5000rpm, can't explain it but it feels natural at those revs (anyway think it was 5000rpm, its been a while).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Absolute max is 1.12 bar - 1.13 will see it the wrong side of the exhaust

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
THe Dials on the car do not read in BAR they read in MG hydrogen or something. it is the metric equivalent of BAR. 1 bar = about 0.7 mg/h whaterver it is...

hope this helps.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Oopps, knew i shouldn't have bunk school.

Well, good thing is that i don't need to get the replacement Nismo boost gauge now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts