GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy a new set of rims for my R32 GTR. Those Volk CE28N is looking awfully nice. Should go well with my black car, no?

Anyway. I'm going for 17" rims since most people seem to say that's the best size for the R32, combined with that big thread Mycroft started about how 17" are the best size wheel for "us". I've been searching the archives but I can't seem to find any info on the max possible tyre width. I was planning on going for some big 285 or 295 tyres. 295/35 should be pretty nice? Too big? Opinions and suggestions are highly appreciated. What's the max that can be fitted?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm to believe Mycroft (I have to re-read that thread again) 265/40 should be a better option than 265/35 due to the low sidewall height of the latter. If I recall correctly he recommended close to 4" sidewall height. Any comments on this?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Width, depends on the offset off the rims, I've seen 10.5 x 18's with 275.30.18's on a 32 before but dont know the offset of what arch work was done.

I run 9.5 x18 with offset of +5, with a 245 tyre on a 32, but I have rolled the arch lips as I wanted the 'drift' look.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Milko said:
Width, depends on the offset off the rims, I've seen 10.5 x 18's with 275.30.18's on a 32 before but dont know the offset of what arch work was done.

I run 9.5 x18 with offset of +5, with a 245 tyre on a 32, but I have rolled the arch lips as I wanted the 'drift' look.
Yes. What I'm trying to figure out is:
1: What is the optimum width that is known to work with offset x on 17" rims?
2: What is the optimum width to use?

Steve said that he thought 255/265 was best as far as handling goes. I'm not after looks, I'm after tyres that will make my car accelerate fast and take corners well. If 265 is better than 285 overall, then 265 is what I'll go with.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well in that case, from what I've read 265 seems to be the most popular and +22 on a 9" rim the best setup on a 32, but not sure about a 265 on a 9" rim?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Milko said:
Sweet, +5 offset on a 9.5, nice. :smokin: Got any pics?

I'd better not comment on wheel/tyre sizes for optimum handling though. ;) :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
tim b said:
Sweet, +5 offset on a 9.5, nice. :smokin: Got any pics?

I'd better not comment on wheel/tyre sizes for optimum handling though. ;) :)
Will post em up at weekend, just need to tweak coilovers. :smokin:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Going bigger than a 255/40 on a 17*9 rim might give you a bit too much tyre flex, you might want to go up to a 9.5 or 10 inch rim. Have you tried using one of those wheel and tyre calculators, that'll allow you to try some different, wheel width, offset and tyre combos. If you know what others are using you should be able to make a reasonable judgement on what you can get away with. I've got an R33 GTR and the arch lip seems fairly light, wouldn't have thought it would be too tricky to get it rolled.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car is in a garage not close by. I'll head out there this weekend to see what's on the car atm. But 265/40 on a 10" inch rim "sounds" ok, no?

Since the tyre width is ~10.5" we don't want to have too small rims due to the flex in the sidewalls, right? I can only assume that a rim that is slightly bigger (11" rim for 10.5" tyre for example) would make the sidewall flex even less? At the same time, we want the sidewall to flex a bit, don't we? I gotta study this stuff for the rest of the week. I'll be back!

·
Registered
345 Posts
On my R32, I've got 17"x10" Advan TCII's with a 25mm offset, run 255/40/17 tyres. I don't have any clearance problems, but they certainly fill the arches.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Saborion said:
I'm planning to buy a new set of rims for my R32 GTR. Those Volk CE28N is looking awfully nice. Should go well with my black car, no?

Anyway. I'm going for 17" rims since most people seem to say that's the best size for the R32, combined with that big thread Mycroft started about how 17" are the best size wheel for "us". I've been searching the archives but I can't seem to find any info on the max possible tyre width. I was planning on going for some big 285 or 295 tyres. 295/35 should be pretty nice? Too big? Opinions and suggestions are highly appreciated. What's the max that can be fitted?
Go for 18's as 17's are a waste of money! 9.5x18 et22 is what you need.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The V-Spec II was fitted as standard with 17" x 8J BBS alloys with 245/45/17 Potenzas.

I test drove an R32 with 18" BBS LM's, and it was absolutely horrible.

I've got 17" Gram Lights to go onto my new toy when it arrives!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow. Here I come back to the forums after long absence only to see this thread at the top.

Anyway, I ended up buying a set of 18x9.5 bronze Volk CE28N, fitted with Kumho Ecsta MX 265/35/18. Looks good.:clap:

Unfortunately I've had major problems with like 50 % of the stuff that I've bought for the car. The Border bonnet was broken upon delivery. A new one will be sent since it was insured, but it all takes time. The bodykit that I ordered from Ziax didn't arrive until five months after payment. Martin has been ok with everything, seems like it was the UK courier that screwed up big time, more than once. When the kit finally arrived, not only was it broken, I had received the wrong package. Sigh. Guess I'll just leave all that stuff for next season. It will be a nice looking car when finished though.:)

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
I got 10x18 ET20 and 265/35x18s.

Fit just fine, infact you could go further, i wish i did, think I might break out the spacers...

Seen 285 wide on a 32 before all round without a wide arch kit.

Heres a pic of the back wheel, not the best pic, but hey

1 - 20 of 28 Posts