GTR Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
The original design specification for the RB26 crank was in fact 8350 rpm max!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
What kills the engine when spinning at such high rpm? Crank vibrations, excessive heat, valve slap?

And how do japanese tuners reach 9500-10000 rpm, and they never seem to be worried about that!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
gtr R33 lee said:
mmmmmmm, so wat is the rpm limit say on standard internals....so many varied opinions.....
Read between the lines and you can see that you have to choose, drive with care and you can take it to 8500+- but you will wear the bearings out more quickly, take it to 7700ish and you should be fine whatever - depends what you want I guess

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
You mention fuel economy. Well different turbos wont change that at all, unless you running on boost all the time.

Mapping, or more to the point GOOD mapping, will sort that.

Sounds to me that low load mapping wasnt done much or at all if the economy is that shocking.

Suprised peak powers so high too, its not like they monster turbos.

liquidculture said:
drive with care and you can take it to 8500+
How hell can you drive with care to 8500+ :confused:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
SteveN said:
You mention fuel economy. Well different turbos wont change that at all, unless you running on boost all the time.

Mapping, or more to the point GOOD mapping, will sort that.

Sounds to me that low load mapping wasnt done much or at all if the economy is that shocking.

Suprised peak powers so high too, its not like they monster turbos.

steve, i have been advised by Richard Bell at Rising Sun that smaller turbos will 100% defenatley cure my high fuel consumption problems.
He said that a 600bhp skyline should actually be very good on fuel if driven with a light foot around town ect.
I dont know if you've ever been in a car that shuffles quite as bad as mine does but im telling you mate it is absolutley f**king ridiculous!!!!!!! its loud, the worst ever ride you can imagine, and because the turbos are so out of sequence the injectors are spraying fuel all over the place( this is what ive been told anyway). However this is not the case when you drive the car very hard.
After speaking to Richard the other day i have told him under no circumstances to put the car back together with them turbos on. im also going for forged pistons, so im hoping to have the car running in a way that you would expect, to justify the amount of money i have spent on it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
SteveN said:
Thats what i was wondering.lol.

I only take mine up to around 7600-7800, as thats were i feel my power tailing off.

Tony

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
and i think you should do some of your own research so you can ask your tuner questions and understand whats he's saying, not because u dont understand what he's saying just so then you can make your own opinions from things he says.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have shuffle on my GTSS's but APT mannaged to map out the worst of it. The last remnants of shuffle may only be cured by a balance pipe between the manifolds?

I have been told that 8000 rpm is a the max with stock internals, but even given that, I limit mine to 7500 -7750 since the power is begining to fade by them anyway

Nik

21 - 30 of 30 Posts