GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my r33 gtr engine mods will be now ready in 2 1/2 weeks. i'm hoping for around 550bhp. however, as is always the case, everyone eventually wants more, sooner or later.
what is the bhp to stop at before reliability becomes a major issue, i.e. i dont want to go bang:D

to achieve mega bhp, is single turbo the way to go?

thanks for any help:)

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Well it all depends on what you want to spend!! If you are looking for big hp just fit 2 big turbines...the ones people usually fit as singles:)
You will start to have big lag with these setups so it depends on what you want. About 600bhp is a good number for a track car, above that and you are going into drag territory

·
Registered
85 Posts
I suppose 600 horses is the limit with stock gear box/crank and stuffs. But the thing is people seem to overlook whether the chasis and body parts can take that kind of power. My car is now doing okay - almost 1 1/2 month after its 600 horses upgrade. The gear box has not shown any sign of breaking down and the OS Giken twin plate clutch is also okay. On the track however, te brake takes a beating - even though its AP Racing 6 pot kit! That is my biggest concern on the track!:eek:
I am really :confused: about this 2 vs 1 turbo issue. My 2540s starts to really sing at around 3500rpm. Experts seem to agree that a single big turbo may induce more lag. But a friend of mine is running a single TO4R and I drove it the other day. Not much different from my car!In fact the low end seems to be better than mine! Probably it's the cams - he's using 264in 264 ex while I am using 264in 272ex which gives more ooommph after 6000rpm. IMHO the set up, apart from the turbo, and the tuning, plays a major role as well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies:)

has anyone had any experience with the hiteq reprogrammed ecu? i'm not too well versed in the popular ecu's for skylines, only scoobies. apparently the hiteq one is what i'm getting in mine, but i'm trying to find out a little more about it beforehand.
dragon are doing my engine work, and i trust them, just wanted to know more about the pros and cons of the more popular ecu upgrades.

thanks for the help guys!:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know nuts about ECUs! But I can tell you how I feel when driving my GTR with different ECUs. I have used 3 different ECUs so far. When first purchased, my GTR came with JUN 450hp ECU. The engine response at the lower end was really good but I could hear the engine straining above 5500 rpm. Dynoed the car and checked the A/R ratio. It was running lean at around 5500rpm. Dumped it and installed HKS F Con V. Tuner did a good job. Boost was 1.12 bar and car was producing 375 rwhp (on Dynojet). Smooth but less responsive than the JUN at low end.
Upgraded the car to current power level and tuner puts in Top Secret Competezione ROM. Dunno what is so special about this ROM technically. But it is simply excelent. The car is so smooth at any rev range - feel like driving a Merc all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts