GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Been throwing my mind over the idea of a media center pc.
Hopefully go for one around about when the PS3 launches as I'll go for a completely new setup.

Anyway, anyone experienced one of these ... Hush PC

I will consider a Mac but only if it is a Dual OS one.

Does anyone have a media center as their main source?
Any issues with wanting to surf when wife/kids want to use the tele [main concern]
What about storage for recording. Do you have external hard drives for this ...

TIA

Ian

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey, I use my PC with Media Centre all the time.

It runs just like a normal XP computer, no more problems than the standard microsoft products....

I use a mediacentre extender to use the mc features on my televisionscreen. You don't notice any lag or what so ever when anyone uses the extender while I am working on my PC/ surfing on the internet.

I even use it to watch complete movies via stream on my television while surfing, no lag even then.

Mediacentre is more of a gadget than a necessity if you ask me, but it is still nice being able to watch xvid movies in my livingroom.

I guess lagg depends on your network bandwith and the speed of your PC, I run a P4 3,6ghz with 1,5ghz RAM through a 54mb Wlan.

·
Banned
907 Posts
I use a fast-ish P4 with windows XP with pinicle media centre, and sigma designs x-card for DVD.
My first generation plasma realy only gives a good picture from a Pc so had no real choice.
It is not as intergrated as some, but gives high quality results.
Andy.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I tried myth and media centre on a 1ghz pc, and whilst it was goodish, the picture was nowhere near as good as the outut from my freeview box... im not sure if thats deown to the card, or the fact that my freeview box seems to produse a surprisingly good signal... they also took too long to boot, even from standby...

for now im running Xboxmedia center to stream photos, music and video from my network and its brilliant, turn it on and its quicker than a POST on a 'real' PC, its just lacking a record feature, but i think im going to go the route of a dedicated hard drive recorder for that...

·
Banned
324 Posts
Very diplomatic Ian! ;)

I am not saying anything.

Just ask our mutual friends (ex-peecee heads) who have both bought Macs after one of my infamous demos what THEY think you should do...

They are both smitten, and you know as well as me how anti-Mac they were just a short time ago...

Amazing what a bit of research can do.

:D

One more thing - could you possibly hold off your purchase until either after Feb 28th or if not then after April 2nd? There is something you need to see before you spend any money...!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts